The End of G.com Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Re: The End of G.com Thread

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:54 pm

Most of those pictures are FUBARed. I really like the one where they just pasted the logo over a street light! The best part is that the light is so far in the foreground (compared to the window the logo is in)!!
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:25 pm

Seriously, wouldn't want to go out the OTHER exit of Nova and get a wee bit closer... nah, go for the zoom through the power lines with a really crappy lens... maybe its a mobile phone shot !

Spend Billions of Yen on a shitty name and boxes of tissues that nobody can hand out..., but don't spend a single yen to make the building look anything but a roach motel... WAY TO GO!!! :D
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:57 pm

I noticed that they haven't managed to recruit the 20 PT teachers they were trying to recruit so I thought I'd add in some cardboard cut-out instructors to go with their PS'ed schools.

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Wed May 07, 2008 9:35 am

http://www.gcom-nova.jp/topics/topics_080322.html

On the other G:Comm thread there is a thing about some meeting or other. I suggest you don't take anything seriously from these guys anymore (if you ever did) --- they are just having a laugh.

This 'school' allegedly opened last month. Assuming it didn't - is it legal to advertise this?

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 am

sampler wrote:On the other G:Comm thread there is a thing about some meeting or other. I suggest you don't take anything seriously from these guys anymore (if you ever did) --- they are just having a laugh.

This 'school' allegedly opened last month. Assuming it didn't - is it legal to advertise this?
That school is little more than a TV and ginganet.

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Wed May 07, 2008 5:43 pm

inflames wrote:That school is little more than a TV and ginganet.
Looks more like a badly cut-n-paste nova sign on the side of a Bookoff to me. Can they really advertise a TV/ginganet as a 'school'?
I would not be happy if UFJ tried to tell there was a UFJ bank near my house when in fact it's just an ATM.....

jon
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by jon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Lord Percy wrote:The people who signed back on to join G-com, what are they going to do if G-com goes down?
They'll probably say, Oh at least we got some of our money back. Only the stupid ones are doing long term sign ups.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:10 pm

On the main page there is the "VICTORY" info from the union. Gosh its funny!
:haha:

Okay they managed to get the GCom to agree to Shakkai Hokken (what a change when they wouldn't even enroll the employees in UI and that was the law!)

Make no mistake GCom will take it out of the new instructors wage both sides. GCom were willing to pay 330 000 a month, they'll pay 300 000 and then deduct the employee's part to get back down to 280 000 and have some tax deductions, not that the company will need it ) :eyes: (Oh yeah and those will be only for instructors who go to the sticks and become A40 instructors with extended working hours I bet.)

Then GCOM gets the UNION to recruit for em, gets the union to help keep em in line and it gets the union to help force instructors into jobs way out in the sticks that... may, after a few months, become redundant and the shlep that went out there has to move back if he wants to keep working.

Then GCom will appologise for not hiring everyone.... and all the teachers will come back, alls forgiven!!!
And remember "lets all have fun working together again."

Tell ya what GCom... go belly up and I will appologise to YOU for not coming back... trust me, my appology will be just about as sincere as yours will be. The snickers are just me laughing to help stop my crying ...I am so sincere!!!! REALLY!!!!

burly
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by burly » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:48 am

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:On the main page there is the "VICTORY" info from the union. Gosh its funny!
:haha:

Okay they managed to get the GCom to agree to Shakkai Hokken (what a change when they wouldn't even enroll the employees in UI and that was the law!)

Make no mistake GCom will take it out of the new instructors wage both sides. GCom were willing to pay 330 000 a month, they'll pay 300 000 and then deduct the employee's part to get back down to 280 000 and have some tax deductions, not that the company will need it ) :eyes: (Oh yeah and those will be only for instructors who go to the sticks and become A40 instructors with extended working hours I bet.)

Then GCOM gets the UNION to recruit for em, gets the union to help keep em in line and it gets the union to help force instructors into jobs way out in the sticks that... may, after a few months, become redundant and the shlep that went out there has to move back if he wants to keep working.

Then GCom will appologise for not hiring everyone.... and all the teachers will come back, alls forgiven!!!
And remember "lets all have fun working together again."

Tell ya what GCom... go belly up and I will appologise to YOU for not coming back... trust me, my appology will be just about as sincere as yours will be. The snickers are just me laughing to help stop my crying ...I am so sincere!!!! REALLY!!!!
Yeah. You sock to em, Stick swinger !

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:46 am

I woke up this morning and noticed that a lot of topics were red and had new messages. So I got my coffee and sat down... (didn't bother to look at anything else and clicked..."Newest message")
But I couldn't see one, thought I had deleted the cookies or something... Then I went back to the main menu and noticed it was a run by Burly.
Now THATs why their's no new messages... someone woke the troll up from under the bridge... or perhaps he's just gotten out of his mothers basement finally and snuck down to the library.
Run along now burly, back in your hole before mommy finds out... you know how she doesn't like you thinking about anything except her and her stinky feet. :|

parallel universe
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by parallel universe » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Lord Percy wrote:The people who signed back on to join G-com, what are they going to do if G-com goes down?
Not 'if', but 'when'. I don't know if Inayoshi has shareholders he has to respond to or answer to, but assuming G.Comm continues to be a financial drain, at some point someone with a brain in a position of power will decide to pack it in. A poll on LJ was recently started and the voting seems to favor it all going bust by December 31.

As for what the new/recycled G.Comm'ers will do after that, my guess is they will be SOL... again.

There is a G.Comm teacher recruiting effort afoot that doesn't seem to be going well, judging from the posts on these threads.
Always seeking good craick.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:I woke up this morning and ...
... got myself a gun...

Sorry, had to do it.

strongbad
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by strongbad » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:36 pm

Mama always said you'd be
The Chosen One.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 am

"Wadda ya say'n? I'm in waste management..." and when it comes to GScam, they are waste management in SO many ways and on so many different levels. :)

akane20
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Unread post by akane20 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:59 am

Anyone know what the deal with this Seikatsu Kobo or koho or whatever. The company who is also offering jobs and nova schools, on gaijin pot. Are they part of G-comm? Are they for real? :huh:

parallel universe
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

a mercy killing is needed

Unread post by parallel universe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:16 pm

Shouldn't this be the most relevant thread for G.Comm 'news'? I cannot envision this company pouring good money down a hole indefinitely. I realize there's nobody in charge with any amount of business acumen or marketing prowess, as it pertains to running a profitable eikawa, but at some point (soon?) you would think some dullard would wake up and decide to shut the whole mess down and move on. It's been one misstep after another. I feel like the relative that wants to pull the plug and cut off life support to the brain-dead relative but nobody else sees it that way. Do Inayoshi's lieutenants have their noses so far up his ass that nobody can muster those courageous words, "Umm, boss, it isn't working."?
Always seeking good craick.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Just got a call from HW, boy am I happy 8)

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:38 pm

This isn't really the END for GCOM but hopefully its the end of my dealings with em!

Background.
GCom decided not to renew my contract
Didn't issue severance docs for 2 months
Screwed up my HW benefits (amount and duration)
Finally issued them incorrectly, stating I quit and that I had SIGNED a 2.5 month contract. COMPLETE BS, NOBODY SIGNED CONTRACTS. (for the record I was given 8 days notice)
I filed a complaint with HW and JLB. (and this was before I got my back pay from Nova so I was pretty poor).
I got a letter from Gcom asking me to sign away all my rights, say it was 100% MY fault and that they would issue the documents again correctly this time.
I sent a 5 page :bird: letter, asking THEM to sign it and agree to the facts as I have stated them, but that regardless if they signed or not, they MUST issue my severance documents correctly, its Japanese LAW. I would be taking action.
1 week later, I got a call from GCom saying "My letter had the desired result and my severance docs would be reissued."
Heard nothing for 2 months, (this all started in Jan/Feb, ended ... very soon I hope)

TODAY
Got a call today, HW has reviewed my case, will correct the errors in my claim and pay me the difference. (Ie I would get the correct amount of days coverage, and I would get the correct amount FOR those days.)

I didn't care about the money, in fact I was under the impression that I wasn't going to get any. I just wanted HW to be aware of GComs BS and take issue with it. I just wanted them to do the LEGAL thing. I could have sued for wrongful dismissal. I could have fought for the job back, but hell I don't want it!

End result, stand up to GCom, and get them to do what they MUST do, to do right by the employees. The HW lady said that so many people had their documents incorrectly issued and so many complaints were filed about GCOM that a special division had been set up in Nagoya and that they are backlogged still.

If they gave you the shaft, GO to HW... or the LB. Let em know what happened. It takes time but GCOM is under a microscope now, they'll do what it takes to make all this attention from HW go away.

:beer: for me, and for all those on the board who helped. Cheers guys and gals!
Last edited by Stick-Swinging Incident on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allblacks

Re: Just got a call from HW, boy am I happy 8)

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:Background.
GCom decided not to renew my contract
Didn't issue severance docs for 2 months
Screwed up my HW benefits (amount and duration)
Finally issued them incorrectly, stating I quit and that I had SIGNED a 2.5 month contract. COMPLETE BS, NOBODY SIGNED CONTRACTS. (for the record I was given 8 days notice)
I filed a complaint with HW and JLB. (and this was before I got my back pay from Nova so I was pretty poor).
I got a letter from Gcom asking me to sign away all my rights, say it was 100% MY fault and that they would issue the documents again correctly this time.
I sent a 5 page :bird: letter, asking THEM to sign it and agree to the facts as I have stated them, but that regardless if they signed or not, they MUST issue my severance documents correctly, its Japanese LAW. I would be taking action.
1 week later, I got a call from GCom saying "My letter had the desired result and my severance docs would be reissued."
Heard nothing for 2 months, (this all started in Jan/Feb, ended ... very soon I hope)

TODAY
Got a call today, HW has reviewed my case, will correct the errors in my claim and pay me the difference. (Ie I would get the correct amount of days coverage, and I would get the correct amount FOR those days.)

I didn't care about the money, in fact I was under the impression that I wasn't going to get any. I just wanted HW to be aware of GComs BS and take issue with it. I just wanted them to do the LEGAL thing. I could have sued for wrongful dismissal. I could have fought for the job back, but hell I don't want it!

End result, stand up to GCom, and get them to do what they MUST do, to do right by the employees. The HW lady said that so many people had their documents incorrectly issued and so many complaints were filed about GCOM that a special division had been set up in Nagoya and that they are backlogged still.

If they gave you the shaft, GO to HW... or the LB. Let em know what happened. It takes time but GCOM is under a microscope now, they'll do what it takes to make all this attention from HW go away.

:beer: for me, and for all those on the board who helped. Cheers guys and gals!
Well done. In my experience, companies in Japan will always try to piss on leaving employees. Kudos to you for not taking it lying down. Congrats.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:40 pm

Congrats seconded! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Win Some
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Win Some » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:26 pm

This particular thread is getting wildly off topic because despite all the doom and gloom predictions, G-NOVA is actually expanding and recruiting teachers and staff. Just as it was wildly optimistic of them to think they could match old NOVA in a short space of time, it is equally silly for LJ posters to compare G-NOVA to the old NOVA which is where many complaints and misconceptions come from. Personally, I think if they were going to abandon ship or dismally fail into bankruptcy then it would have happened by now. Perhaps the admins should just close this thread? There are a few other G-NOVA threads which people can use to post off topic things on.

Belkin
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Belkin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Man, Stick Swinging Incident, that is super messed up what happened to you. I am glad you got at least a little justice. Those SHITHEADs at Nova are getting their justice through this whole falling out. I say, what goes around, comes around, and Nova got theirs. Now it is time for Interac, AEON, GEOS to get theirs.

:anger:

Tripod Jimmy
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Tripod Jimmy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:03 am

Win Some wrote:This particular thread is getting wildly off topic because despite all the doom and gloom predictions, G-NOVA is actually expanding and recruiting teachers and staff. Just as it was wildly optimistic of them to think they could match old NOVA in a short space of time, it is equally silly for LJ posters to compare G-NOVA to the old NOVA which is where many complaints and misconceptions come from. Personally, I think if they were going to abandon ship or dismally fail into bankruptcy then it would have happened by now. Perhaps the admins should just close this thread? There are a few other G-NOVA threads which people can use to post off topic things on.
I wouldn't be that optimistic. It's highly doubtful they are making money and are quite probably in the red every month. I don't dispute that they are at least making a go of it but when you get told you aren't allowed to use scrap paper in lessons (to save money) they are clearly not exactly rolling around in cash. Those Level 3 students doing Diplomat for the hundredth time will be the ones to go first. I knew a student who had done every lesson over 15 times and that was last year before I left. God help the poor woman now!

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:41 am

Tripod Jimmy wrote:Those Level 3 students doing Diplomat for the hundredth time will be the ones to go first. I knew a student who had done every lesson over 15 times and that was last year before I left. God help the poor woman now!
I reckon the opposite's true. The lifer Level 3's are exactly the type of student who'll continue to stick around, because it's all they know and they're in a little comfort zone. The students who, at old Nova, would give the little sigh and the slight sinking of the shoulders when they opened up their textbook to be faced with the same lesson they've done 4,5,6 times before were the same students who would then go and by another 500 point package.
I can't see any reason why that would have changed now.
They'll have a moan about the 5 student lessons, grumble a bit that it's difficult to book lessons, whine that they don't like the textbook and/or have already done every lesson multiple times... but they'll keep going.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

Tanks

Unread post by Tanks » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:20 am

I agree with a lot of what is said about lessons and the company in general, but as far as level 2/3/4 students who have done lessons a ton of times...why not be a teacher and teach them something different?

dunno how it is working out in other places, but i don't see a lot of management observations going on where i work...plan some lessons and go teach them....your students will appreciate it...for those who can actually stand to do something with a student knowing they've already seen it 15 times--good luck with that....lessons must be boring as hell for you...

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:32 am

Tanks wrote:I agree with a lot of what is said about lessons and the company in general, but as far as level 2/3/4 students who have done lessons a ton of times...why not be a teacher and teach them something different?

dunno how it is working out in other places, but i don't see a lot of management observations going on where i work...plan some lessons and go teach them....your students will appreciate it...for those who can actually stand to do something with a student knowing they've already seen it 15 times--good luck with that....lessons must be boring as hell for you...
When do you propose this “planning of lessons” take place? In the 2 minutes before a class or are you suggesting homework? :huh:

What will more than likely happen is:

If such said student is in a M2M lesson they will probably complain to the staff that you didn’t do a book lesson step by step. Remember if THEY don’t ask for general conversation or something outside “the book” then you’re obliged to do a lesson.

If such said student is in a group lesson then the other students will complain to the staff that you didn’t do a lesson.

I had “observers” praise me for expanding roll plays etc. beyond the LMP and then follow that up with a bollocking from other “observers” for not sticking to the LMP…….. Retards.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

jon
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by jon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:40 am

Quite high, according to my recollection, and of those that don't many would if they could place any faith at all in the mass of contradictory bullshit advice that gets thrown their way.

Actually, however, I think that hard personal study is only a substitute: a way of getting input when there is nothing else of much use available. Only problem is, its not interactive.

thedeli
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by thedeli » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:58 am

Tanks wrote:I agree with a lot of what is said about lessons and the company in general, but as far as level 2/3/4 students who have done lessons a ton of times...why not be a teacher and teach them something different?

Yeah, they appreciate the non-text lessons alright. So much that you end up with back-to-back 5-student Zone G lessons on your schedule every day. :axe: Fine at first if you've got volumes of material but they tap you out after a while. Back in the day. you had morning, afternoon and evening lessons and students tended to come in at certain times. There was your morning group, afternoon group and evening group. There were the weekenders etc. Now students are scrambling to book lessons whenever possible so the probability of having at least one student in your class who's done your "original" lesson is quite high. You invariably have to take your job home with you - there's no way one can effectively plan out a lesson in the time alloted.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

unpaid lesson prep time, anyone?

Unread post by In The Know » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:09 am

thedeli wrote:... there's no way one can effectively plan out a lesson in the time alloted.
That was always the problem. As it was, you would spend 15-20 minutes of your OWN (unpaid) time getting ready for your 8 lessons. If eikaiwa were serious about helping students and respected the teachers' time, they would have paid for for a 40-minute lesson every day to do some real preparation... but they didn't. "You get what you pay for" applies here. I threw together a half-assed lesson with little preparation because that is what I was paid for. Real teaching involves preparation and I'm not up for volunteering (i.e., unpaid).

The "End of G.Comm " thread seems to be more active recently. I wonder... :huh:

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:38 pm

I can relate to that. I mean when people take the same lesson on 4 mark off sheets full, and then are STILL surprised when the vocab is explained to them, I think a tad bit of homestudy is needed. Sure, maybe 8 or so times nobody bothered to explain the key vocabulary, it happens... 8 times... but the OTHER 4 times???

This wasn't a single Level 2 or 3 mind you, but the vast majority. There were SOME that took notes, got the idea, tried to apply it and took the info on board. And generally people didn't mind teaching them the same lesson 3 or 4 times, as they seemed to improve. Those students were the exceptions, not the rule.

But the hung over salarymen golfers that always book lessons on Sat Sun first 3 or 4 lessons that never bring text books and basically use the time to get away from the family who was making entirely too much noise for their splitting heads??? Meh.
The bored housewives or grandmothers who just came to Nova on a daily basis 3 or 4 lessons and then zipped home just after 4...
They had the same teachers, same lessons, and picked up little or none of it. It was just the routine... a very expensive one. :shock:

jon
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by jon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:46 pm

Langslave wrote:Well jon you must (have) be(en) lucky in your branch 'cos in my old haunt there was sod all in the way of study or motivation. All they were, for the most part, were junkies getting their fix.
I guess I would class around 20 percent of the high level students in my branch as people who did serious home study on a regular basis. Of the others, most had put in some hard yards at some time before that in order to get where they were. However, many just heard so many different things from different teachers about what they should be doing as well as from the (so called) counselling staff, that they didn't take much of the study advice seriously any more.

During the days of the Quest text, most students used to study their textbook pretty hard when they first got levelled up, often to the point of memorising it. However, with the whole program really going nowhere slowly, it's no suprise that they would give up at some point or else pursue independent study options. After the introduction of the comparatively unstudiable Diplomat series many even gave up paying serious attention to the textbook.

Core problem: the free booking system. Totally impossible to take an incremental approach that corresponds in any way to the lessons one might or might not receive. Last teacher told me to practice the language of the last lesson in the next lesson. Next teacher looks pissed off when I try and says: Today's lesson is:....