The End of G.com Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

The End of G.com Thread

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:02 pm

This thread is for discussing g.com possibly shutting down neo-Nova due to unprofitability as mentioned by ex_sensei
LATEST DEVELOPMENT - INAYOSHI'S PROFIT DEADLINE ULTIMATUM

Yes, they're bleeding money like mad because of NOVA and Inayoshi has come up with a plan! In a private e-mail to each Japanese Area Manager, Inayoshi has threatened to shut-down NOVA if a profit isn't shown by the NOVA division by the end of March 2008.

Well, the writing is on the wall! I highly recommend that people start looking for alternative employement if they already haven't started to do so!

allblacks

Re: The End of G.com Thread

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:04 pm

Im grabbing the first spot here! After Shawn that is!

Throughout the Nova meltdown and since, LG has had a great amount of info from Exsensei. Kudos to you sir. Talk about making a difference for fellow gaijin.

I guess a question that needs to be asked is; How? How will Gcom justify running a non profit making subsidiary that just bleeds money? The answer there will no doubt be answered here in this thread. For the most part, you cannot sum up the developments too easily for G com other than to say that they did everything Nova did and then put their foot in their mouth to boot. Its kind of like watching dumb and dumber with Jim Carey one upping his co-star Jeff Daniels with even more ridiculous antics.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Bloody hell! Is this a real possibility?

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 pm

Isn't it obvious to him that they'll have a huge loss by the end of March with zero chance of making a profit? Scare tactics for the managers or the end, again?

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:26 pm

I can't believe that Inayoshi has so much money that he can speculate, ie tossing about 10 million dollars into a hole to see if theres oil or shit down in it.
but thats EXACTLY what he seems to have done.

Now hes pissed and is starting to scream at everyone else. Wonder how long it is before the AMs, Ms, and Japanese Managers really start immitating their glorious leader.

PS: pass the pretzels would ya!
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:46 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
Japandy wrote:Isn't it obvious to him that they'll have a huge loss by the end of March with zero chance of making a profit? Scare tactics for the managers or the end, again?
That's unknowable, but it could very well be a bit of both -- they are seriously thinking about bailing (which would explain why they still aren't doing the big PR campaign they desperately need to repair the image of the brand) and are holding out hope that fear might somehow motivate the managers into turning things around.

However you read the situation, it's not good.
How are they going to stop bleeding money, satisfy their workforce and please their clients in 4 months? This company is worse than Nova for these stuff ups alone.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Think its about time for those inspiriational faxes to be pulled out... dusted off, and RE ENCODED, so that they inspire all of the Managers to pray for good sales at their local shrine!

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:23 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
is it possible that they decided to keep using the name because they thought it would save them some money on the existing signs and other stuff with the Nova logo on it? That's so galactically stupid that I hadn't even entertained the possibility before, but does anyone see a better explanation?
I think that was part of it but the stupidity actually went deeper. For one reason or another, very likely to do with what they were told by NOVA management, they really thought this was a sound company, well managed with a good quality, in demand product. The only reason it was in trouble was therefore the Chief Executive's (sorry President's) bizarre business decisions and the fact he was looting the company via Ginganet, the foundations, racing team etc.

So they really thought that once Mr S was out of the way and the debts cleared it was just a matter of restarting the business and the underlying strength would soon shine through. I still suspect there was an agreement/plan to sell it back to the senior management but if that didn't work out, it could be floated on the stock market again or just run as part of the group offering a few potential synergies with the Juku and EC chains.

It seems extraordinarily stupid to believe all that, not to mention incredibly naive but they haven't shown the slightest sign that they understood the business in general or NOVA in particular from the very start.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Lucio Argento
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Lucio Argento » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:35 pm

Well, we'll have to wait and see If this does indeed happen. If it does, is anybody really that surprised?

I personally didn't think that this Neo-Nova thing would be successful but I thought it would take a lot longer to go belly-up than a few months. That is if the information above is reliable. And LJ has been pretty good in that respect.

I wonder how much sympathy the 'teachers' will get if G-comm. closes its doors?

Hollis Brown
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Hollis Brown » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:48 pm

Lucio Argento wrote: I wonder how much sympathy the 'teachers' will get if G-comm. closes its doors?
None at all. Zilch. A big Fat ZERO

The people who managed to get out before Nova collapsed were the cream sitting at the top of the milk bottle. They had their heads screwed on, so maneuvered themselves to the top in anticipation of the collapse. They were the first out.

All those that left after the collapse but before GCom started up again were the milk. They were sucked out of the bottle by a few big gulps. Swallowed up in the mess, but out and remained out.

All those still there are alike to backwash. You know the milk that remains at the bottom of the bottle mixed with saliva and little crumbs. It never leaves the bottle because nobody wants it. It's just destined to either be poured down the drain or thrown in the trash.

So, to go back to the initial (albeit rhetorical) question, having sympathy for GCom teachers if it closes would almost be akin to having sympathy for backwash milk when disposing of the (almost) empty bottle.
"He actually has a layer of feathers growing on his face!! How is that humanly possible?! If you deep-fried a whole potato, then stuck a steel-wool pad on it and left it to rust, you'de have an uncanny miniature duplicate of Anders!"
Sir Fart Ass - Comedy gold

yoshifumi tanaka
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

POSTED THIS IN THE OLD THREAD (is that closed now?)

Unread post by yoshifumi tanaka » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:54 pm

ex_sensei wrote:
Schizm wrote:A post on Gaijinpot implied that G-Com is facing bankruptcy by summer. Anyone know anything about this?

Yes, they're bleeding money like mad because of NOVA and Inayoshi has come up with a plan! In a private e-mail to each Japanese Area Manager, Inayoshi has threatened to shut-down NOVA if a profit isn't shown by the NOVA division by the end of March 2008.

Well, the writing is on the wall! I highly recommend that people start looking for alternative employement if they already haven't started to do so!

Anyone got a copy of the email in Japanese? Oh and does anyone know where the new January pay calculation info was actually announced or shown?
Maybe it was back in Dec?

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Hollis Brown wrote:
Lucio Argento wrote: I wonder how much sympathy the 'teachers' will get if G-comm. closes its doors?
None at all. Zilch. A big Fat ZERO.
Maybe its me, but I think that question was rhetorical. :huh:

Hollis Brown
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Hollis Brown » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:
Maybe its me, but I think that question was rhetorical. :huh:
...as I acknowledged at the end of the post.
"He actually has a layer of feathers growing on his face!! How is that humanly possible?! If you deep-fried a whole potato, then stuck a steel-wool pad on it and left it to rust, you'de have an uncanny miniature duplicate of Anders!"
Sir Fart Ass - Comedy gold

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:34 pm

I'd have mixed thoughts about the absolute end of Nova. On one side I don't want to see people losing their jobs (yet these people should really have moved on....) although on the other hand, especially after all that has happened I'd like to see the end of it purely because it's an infected haemorroid on the anus of Eikaiwa (to paraphrase a former and rather disgrunted colleague).

stinkbomb
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by stinkbomb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:36 pm

Has Flemming Lord quit yet?
Anyone got any info on this last remnant of the old guard?

Monkeynuts
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Location: Sitting comfortably,watching the evil empire's demise and resurrection.

Unread post by Monkeynuts » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:04 pm

This really is almost too good to be true. First my HW money kicks in,then my unpaid wages show signs of arriving soon with way more than I would have got if I'd been paid normally and now this. I swear if Saruhashi turns up dead tomorrow I'll be in church on Sunday morning.
If staffs smile,students will smile,teachers will smile,and visitors will smile. And then we will always achieve our targets!!

Spanner
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Spanner » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Mr Lord was the dark side rep calling people on Feb 11th telling them they no longer had employment. ..... and no doubt he enjoyed every minute of it :twisted:

mfgrape
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by mfgrape » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:26 pm

Something I am curious about... How are Japanese managers suppose to turn the company around?
They are finally putting money into the bigger cities...in time for what? Closing down?
Before people get too eager to watch the zombie get sent back to its grave finally, I think there needs to be a little more speculation about the alternatives first.
Of course, I do not believe that this company has any idea as to what it is doing...but at the same time, it seems odd that they would be investing in big cities schools while scheduling a deadline.

Secondly, for its former employees...would it be wiser to give them there 30 days notice before closing the doors? I am sure the government won't cover a second failed Nova and people have signed new contracts as well, so they would be obligated to pay people some form of severance pay, no?

Thirdly, not that I am worried about the sheep for students, but I can't imagine that the Govt would let Nova fuck over the students again, especially since this cow has a few more spouts on the udder to tap.

Either way, I reckon that the 2nd death of Nova will be the end of it. Unless some other company is truly foolish enough to try this std on the failing eikaiwa industry again.

poxonyou
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by poxonyou » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:40 pm

God. Bad timing. I'm trying to find a new job as it's spring hiring season; it doesn't help if the market is suddenly flooded again :doh:

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:24 am

Also, out of curiosity, what does this mean concerning the deal with the trustees? Or is that deal dead now that the trustees have mainly fulfilled their roles and gotten everyone their backpay info/schedules?
Wouldn't G.Con be violating their contract with the trustees by closing the doors? (Or will it be another, yet fucking huge, version of "They're only gaijin. Who gives a shit?"?)
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

Spastic_Tactician
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Spastic_Tactician » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:43 am

In the history of mergers and acquisitions, has there ever been a situation where a failed, bankrupt company has been taken over and completely turned around in 4 months? I'm no business guru, but it seems to me that one had better be prepared to invest some time and money into a venture before writing it off or you'll just have a long line of failed ventures to look back on.
It seems to me that Inayoshi runs his businesses the same way the students speak English... Just throw a bunch of stuff out there and hope it makes some sense. He must be stunned when a business of his actually turns a profit. What a retard.
"Finally, the last step to build the robot is you should screw it. It needs a lot of screwing. Especially in the legs and neck."
-Quote from first year high school English exam

Hello Worker
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Hello Worker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:49 am

[quote="exUsagiCoalMiner"]Also, out of curiosity, what does this mean concerning the deal with the trustees? Or is that deal dead now that the trustees have mainly fulfilled their roles and gotten everyone their backpay info/schedules?
Wouldn't G.Con be violating their contract with the trustees by closing the doors? (Or will it be another, yet fucking huge, version of "They're only gaijin. Who gives a shit?"?)[/quote]

There seens little point in commenting any further on the ineptitude, ignorance and stupidity of G Con but I think Ex UCM has a point. The G Con deal was supposedly the best on the table. Makes you wonder what on earth the others were.

Perhaps in hindsight when G con started up Nova "The Omen 2" Eikaiwa they should have offered returning teachers the following options in order to save money...

Option A: Teach for yakiniku.
Option B: Teach in the park for 499yen (40 minute lesson)

stinkbomb
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by stinkbomb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:56 am

[quote="Spanner"]Mr Lord was the dark side rep calling people on Feb 11th telling them they no longer had employment. ..... and no doubt he enjoyed every minute of it :twisted:[/quote]

WTF does G-Comm need Lord Flumpton for? He must feel like a complete tool! Frater left to preserve his own dignity (from what I heard), Andrea Buttwist resigned because,well, it was the end of the line and he knew it. Even Farley recognised the end when he saw it. But the Lorded one is still there???? Unbelievable!!!! I wonder if he'll have to call [i]himself[/i] when that fateful day arrives:

Hello, Lord Flumpton speaking.
Good day, Lord Flumpton. This is Lord Flumtpon. I'm afraid I have some ruddy bad news for you, old boy......

S-B
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by S-B » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:17 am

poxonyou wrote:God. Bad timing. I'm trying to find a new job as it's spring hiring season; it doesn't help if the market is suddenly flooded again :doh:
I don't think the market will be as flooded as before. Lots of people have already found alternative unemployment, or something to tide them over. Now the unpaid wages are (hopefully) coming I think that will help too. The cycle will continue for some time.

As for the latest end, it wouldn't surprise me if they do call it quits, but even closing down this mess would have to be well thought out. In full agreement about the Nova name though, they should have dumped it there and then. Bloody stupid.

Also, again a big thanks to ex-sensei. :beer: He helped prompt a lot of people (including me) to jump ship early, and the info he's passed on recently has been brilliant. I can only repeat what Level3 said in a previous post: ffs, write a book man! And keep us posted with what you do next...

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:30 am

S-B wrote:Also, again a big thanks to ex-sensei. :beer: He helped prompt a lot of people (including me) to jump ship early, and the info he's passed on recently has been brilliant. I can only repeat what Level3 said in a previous post: ffs, write a book man! And keep us posted with what you do next...
The problem is that I have a lot more info but cannot post them because doing so would reveal my identity. My word of advice for people is to keep their options open, especially now. I know of a lot of resignations coming up very soon. If ex-Management is jumping ship, instructors should at the very least see what's out there.

Oh, and I plan to have a farewell GCOM/NOVA party somewhere in Tokyo after my last day at GCOM. Anyone interested in joining me, please PM me!

Ex
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:42 am

I would just hope that you reveal EVERYTHING you know on your last day!
Great work throughout it all Ex! :beer: :beer: :beer:
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

AsianAlien
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by AsianAlien » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:55 am

ex_sensei wrote:
S-B wrote: I know of a lot of resignations coming up very soon.
Ex
...as do I. I think this time around instructor exodus will precipitate the fall, rather than the fall (no paychecks) precipitating the exodus. Also I don't believe the market will be flooded as it was previously. There are a lot less people working for the NeoNova than the former beast. As for predicting a date... I believe things will slowly drain away. G-Comm doesn't want to face lawsuits so they'll probably continue to offer up lessons with a skeleton crew or teachers long enough to allow theoretical use of points, but announcing the discontinuation of new sales. There press release reveals they are sweating the criticism over instructor treatment, but as for them recruiting from March...I don't see how. They don't have the resources to recruit overseas and domestically all the job seekers are probably with them now.
[url=http://asianalien.blogspot.com/]AsianAlien[/url]

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
Location: On my steam yacht "The Saucy Sue", with the Balinese Goddess of Plenty

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:I would just hope that you reveal EVERYTHING you know on your last day!
Yes Ex-Sensei, my dear, you simply must reveal all. Even the dirty, sordid, nasty bits that would horrify our delicate sensibilities. After all, they are the best bits!

P.S. Can someone past the Jaffas? I like to role them down the aisle whilst watching the show...
It's only a short step from "tush" to "hey nonny nonny", and then I'm afraid I shall have to call the police.

I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then, hundreds of years from now, I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.

http://www.despair.com/

jon
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by jon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Shawn wrote:This thread is for discussing g.com possibly shutting down neo-Nova due to unprofitability as mentioned by ex_sensei

I'd love it if GComm did completely give up on the Nova brand, but I think that is unlikely. Why chuck away something that you have already paid so much for? What about the MM centre, the franchise plans, workable in theory as far as I can see, and what about those of the reopened schools that do have profit potential?

It is worth remembering that dumping Nova has already been threatened once in respect of instructor absences, and for that reason I am inclined to read this most recent message as being a possible case of scare tactics to keep people afraid of losing their jobs: the line is, we are doing you a favor by empoying you at all, and it will be your fault if things don't work out

At the same time, however, I don' think that there is nothing at all behind this. Some kind of major rationalisation which involves closing down a large number of the schools that were opened in such haste may be under consideration, and I agree that this would be because GComm's early moves were all made in ignorance of Nova's real situation, and their later ones over influenced by a slash and burn accounting perspective.

However, GComm actually have a lot to lose long if they make a complete retreat: credibility with their financial backers which could make it much harder to argue for the next big thing they want to try. That's why I would expect only a partial retreat at most.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:03 am

Lord Blackadder wrote:
exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:I would just hope that you reveal EVERYTHING you know on your last day!
Yes Ex-Sensei, my dear, you simply must reveal all. Even the dirty, sordid, nasty bits that would horrify our delicate sensibilities. After all, they are the best bits!

P.S. Can someone past the Jaffas? I like to role them down the aisle whilst watching the show...
I had two bags of Jaffas sent over just recently from Aussie. Very nice. Now the wife is hooked on them.