The Backpay Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Winermute
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: The Backpay Thread

Unread post by Winermute » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:19 am

Whatever 2 months and 10 days of your unpaid wages comes to, you will get 80% of that. Most people got roughly the same amount of money.
Last edited by Winermute on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

General Ripper
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by General Ripper » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:37 am

My friend who is still in Japan has just a letter from the trustees saying they will deposit money into my account today. This is interesting as I opted for an international transfer and mailed my overseas details, so it seems odd they sent the letter to my old address. But i don't think it should matter, I will be watching my account very closely over the next couple of days as I assume an international transfer will not be instantaneous. But for all of those overseas waiting for money it seems you will not have to wait long as I sent my claim only two and a half weeks ago, and that was from NZ.

--Grind--
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by --Grind-- » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Nothing about pay going in from the UK here, they cant be doing it country by country can they? sent the form off last month and no notice yet, anyone else abroad heard anything?

Mark E.Smith

Unread post by Mark E.Smith » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:26 am

Mr.Grind. I'm in London. I sent my documents off on Monday 3rd March. Yesterday I called the rofuku people on 0081 44 556 9910 and spoke to someone called Naomi Nakayama. They said that everything re: my application was in order and that the money would be received in my HSBC account in the UK within 30 days from receipt of amy application. They had received my documents on the 7th, so 30 days from then. As long as you made no major errors on your application it will go in 30 days after they received it.

If you want to make sure there is no problem call the above number. English speaking staff are there from 3pm Japan time. So I advise you to call them between 6am and 8am British time.

General Ripper
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by General Ripper » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:11 pm

Hey guys as I said yesterday I got a reciept saying I would have my money deposited on the 12th, It has arrived in my NZ account today. I'm surprised beacuse they would have only recieved my response 2 weeks ago at the most so I'm impressed with the speed. But i'm one happy camper now!

--Grind--
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by --Grind-- » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks for the response, ill try calling them tomorrow but im sure my docs were in order. 30 days aye? good news thanks again

Julio Midnight
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Julio Midnight » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:23 pm

To those who haven't received their backpay documents yet, the trustees will be re-sending them sometime next week. Mine never arrived despite confirming with them by phone that my address was current. Oh well, that money is going into the vacation fund for later this year anyways! So make sure that your address is current, and if you don't get any mail by the end of the month, send them yet another fax!

thebaumer
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by thebaumer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:15 am

General Ripper wrote:My friend who is still in Japan has just a letter from the trustees saying they will deposit money into my account today. This is interesting as I opted for an international transfer and mailed my overseas details, so it seems odd they sent the letter to my old address. But i don't think it should matter, I will be watching my account very closely over the next couple of days as I assume an international transfer will not be instantaneous. But for all of those overseas waiting for money it seems you will not have to wait long as I sent my claim only two and a half weeks ago, and that was from NZ.
General Ripper wrote:Hey guys as I said yesterday I got a reciept saying I would have my money deposited on the 12th, It has arrived in my NZ account today. I'm surprised beacuse they would have only recieved my response 2 weeks ago at the most so I'm impressed with the speed. But i'm one happy camper now!

Funny. I just realized who you are.

Did you suffer the 20% tax?
Tennis Announcer 1 (Jim): That's 72 unforced errors for Richie Tenebaum. He's playing the worst tennis of his life. What's he feeling right now, Tex Haywood?
Tennis Announcer 2 (Tex Haywood): I don't know, Jim. There's obviously something wrong with him. He's taken off his shoes and one of his socks and... actually, I think he's crying.

ZeusBeard
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by ZeusBeard » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:46 am

Lord Blackadder wrote:Okay peoples, here it goes...

I can't remember where I found this link, but someone had very kindly put this information out there.

http://gcommnova.blogspot.com/2008/02/b ... ctors.html

The most important information is this - if you have changed your address in Japan or you have moved overseas, you need to fax your new details to this number:

06 6649 9790

or, alternatively, you can write to them at the following address:

Midosuji Minami Building
4th Floor
2-3-2 Nishi Shinsaibashi
Chuo-ku, Osaka
Japan

Attention to The Trustees.

You need to provide the following information:

Your full name
Your Nova Instructor number
Your current address
Your current telephone number
Your current email address

I will be sending my information by fax and letter on Monday and I will report back my experiances here so that other overseas people have an idea of what to expect.

If any of this contact information is incorrect, please correct it as I would be loath to send people on a wild goose chase after all that we've been through.
i havent been on recently owing to my japanese girlfriend being over here and having zero free time. however before she arrived i sent my details to this address. is it the wrong one? has anyone sent anything here and recieved anything back regarding back pay? i will send to the newer address that appeared after my last visit asap.

Icegemini
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Icegemini » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:02 am

ZeusBeard wrote:
Lord Blackadder wrote:Okay peoples, here it goes...

I can't remember where I found this link, but someone had very kindly put this information out there.

http://gcommnova.blogspot.com/2008/02/b ... ctors.html

The most important information is this - if you have changed your address in Japan or you have moved overseas, you need to fax your new details to this number:

06 6649 9790

or, alternatively, you can write to them at the following address:

Midosuji Minami Building
4th Floor
2-3-2 Nishi Shinsaibashi
Chuo-ku, Osaka
Japan

Attention to The Trustees.

You need to provide the following information:

Your full name
Your Nova Instructor number
Your current address
Your current telephone number
Your current email address

I will be sending my information by fax and letter on Monday and I will report back my experiances here so that other overseas people have an idea of what to expect.

If any of this contact information is incorrect, please correct it as I would be loath to send people on a wild goose chase after all that we've been through.
i havent been on recently owing to my japanese girlfriend being over here and having zero free time. however before she arrived i sent my details to this address. is it the wrong one? has anyone sent anything here and recieved anything back regarding back pay? i will send to the newer address that appeared after my last visit asap.
Hi! That info is complete bollocks - I sent my details to that one, AND to the details listed on Nova's webpage, and the letter I sent to the address quoted aove came back to me. You need to send your details here, asap:

Attention to Jinji Kanri, the Office of the Trustees in Bankruptcy, Bankrupt Company Nova Corporation
Nishi Temma Asahi Bldg. 2F 10-14 Nishi Temma 1 cho-me, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi 530-0047 Fax: 06-6360-6766

kuro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by kuro » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:07 am

I moved back to Australia after the Nova blowout, but still have access to my old Shinsei Bank account..

If I get them to deposit the backpay into my old account (I'd probably have to contact Shinsei Bank and get them to post me a statement or something.. I never had a bankbook), can I avoid getting slapped with the extra 20% income tax for overseas people?

Or will my passport information completely screw me over, seeing as it has a leaving Japan date in it?

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:13 am

kuro wrote:I moved back to Australia after the Nova blowout, but still have access to my old Shinsei Bank account..

If I get them to deposit the backpay into my old account (I'd probably have to contact Shinsei Bank and get them to post me a statement or something.. I never had a bankbook), can I avoid getting slapped with the extra 20% income tax for overseas people?

Or will my passport information completely screw me over, seeing as it has a leaving Japan date in it?
You would do well to read the posts on page 85 and 86 of the G.Communication thread. You will get an answer there.

insider
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by insider » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:11 am

kuro wrote:I moved back to Australia after the Nova blowout, but still have access to my old Shinsei Bank account..

Your in the same boat as me i think......i left japan, though still have a valid working visa, living in Korea now.
Ive got someone back in Japan with all my bank account stuff. hankos. the lot. My paperwork was sent to his place, and he dealt with it all for me. My old bank acc is still open and hopefully thats where the cash will be shortly. Expecting it this week hopefully then transfered back home. Will let you know if it gets there.
As for the taking a further 20% off its fukn bullshit.....just a way that they can screw us a bit more and pay less....there already only giving us 80% of wages we have earned and are entitled to.

Id say the trustees wont check with immigration if u are in the country or not, thats alot of requests to immigration about status. But if ur docs have a stamp from Australia on them its a bit of a give away, best to not say youve left japan, your not lying, just not telling them everything....if it gets ya more coin its worth it.

good luck

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am

insider wrote:As for the taking a further 20% off its fukn bullshit.....just a way that they can screw us a bit more and pay less....there already only giving us 80% of wages we have earned and are entitled to.
That's complete bull-shit. Nova went bankrupt, which is nothing to do with the Japanese government whatsoever. Of course you're entitled to your back-pay... from NOVA. They don't exist anymore (in their previous incarnation), so if the J-government want to give me 80% I'll more than gladly take it and be grateful for it. And as for the 20% tax, yes it sucks, but it's always been like that. That's why everyone was told not to tick the "I'm leaving Japan with no plan to return" box whenever they resigned from Nova.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

kuro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by kuro » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:08 pm

Hmm. Well, I still have an active bank account in Japan - my documents already had all my bank details on them. The main issue for me is that if I need to send them a copy of my passport (picture page AND visa page) it does have a stamp from my departure. My working Visa has already expired now.

I know that we should just consider ourselves lucky that we're getting ANYTHING.. but 20% is a huge chunk of change to lose! :shock:

Let me know how yours turns out - if you get the money transferred into your Japanese account, I might think about doing similarly.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:15 pm

kuro wrote: .. but 20% is a huge chunk of change to lose! :shock:
Perhaps I don't fully understand this but surely if you had been paid this money when it was owed then you would have had to pay 20% tax at that time so you are no worse or better off except for the fact you have had to wait several months.

If you don't owe tax on this money then you should be able to claim it back like anyone else.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

--Grind--
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by --Grind-- » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:03 pm

I recieved my backpay today! its a lot more then I expected even with the 20% cut - I guess its the sudden drop in the Yen value or increase or somthing.

Im in the UK so it is fast and possible so keep faxing everyone and get whats owed!

Thanks to everyone with the info on this, im off to get a new tv and ps3 :D

ZeusBeard
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by ZeusBeard » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:12 am

right im going to fax the details tonight. if im sending from england will this work for the fax number (81) 06-6360-6766?

speedy reply required if possible. thanks.

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 am

ZeusBeard wrote:right im going to fax the details tonight. if im sending from england will this work for the fax number (81) 06-6360-6766?

Pretty sure you should drop the first 0. Any time I've called overseas I've always had to.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

japansmith

Unread post by japansmith » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:51 am

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:
ZeusBeard wrote:right im going to fax the details tonight. if im sending from england will this work for the fax number (81) 06-6360-6766?

Pretty sure you should drop the first 0. Any time I've called overseas I've always had to.
he's right. drop the 0 so +81663606766 should get you there.

kuro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by kuro » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:34 pm

Wage Slave wrote:
kuro wrote: .. but 20% is a huge chunk of change to lose! :shock:
Perhaps I don't fully understand this but surely if you had been paid this money when it was owed then you would have had to pay 20% tax at that time so you are no worse or better off except for the fact you have had to wait several months.

If you don't owe tax on this money then you should be able to claim it back like anyone else.
The income tax rate was only like 6% when I was living in Tokyo, so it is a pretty big jump in taxes for me. And now that I'm back in Australia I have no idea how I'd do tax return stuff like everyone else over there..

ZeusBeard
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by ZeusBeard » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:09 pm

i tried so many numbers to send the fax through as mentioned above but nothing would go through. ive eventually given up and sent a letter instead, hopefully it should be enough shouldnt it? ive heard there is a number you can contact them directly on, does anyone have this at hand? just so i can give them a ring if i dont hear anything soon.

Icegemini
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Icegemini » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Hey guys, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I received my slip in the mail today about my wages being deposited, (on the 26th, by the looks of it - stupid kanji). Anyway, the amount on there is substantially lower than what was on the forms I sent in - 471,991 yen on the Unpaid Wages Details form that you had to post back, but 377,592 yen on the slip I just received.

It seems kind of odd that they'd stiff me out of almost 100,000 yen now... have I missed some taxes or something? I'm not having it remitted to an overseas account, I'm still in Japan, so it can't be the 20%.

Might have to make a phonecall to the office looking after this stuff. *sigh* Just when I thought it'd been dealt with. :(

jakejones
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by jakejones » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm

471,991 yen is what NOVA didn't pay and the 377,592 is the 80 percent that the government is.

jakejones
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by jakejones » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:59 pm

By the way IceGemini, how long did it take from the time you sent off the forms until you received the deposit notification?

Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Unread post by Ziggy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Icegemini wrote:Hey guys, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I received my slip in the mail today about my wages being deposited, (on the 26th, by the looks of it - stupid kanji). Anyway, the amount on there is substantially lower than what was on the forms I sent in - 471,991 yen on the Unpaid Wages Details form that you had to post back, but 377,592 yen on the slip I just received.

It seems kind of odd that they'd stiff me out of almost 100,000 yen now... have I missed some taxes or something? I'm not having it remitted to an overseas account, I'm still in Japan, so it can't be the 20%.

Might have to make a phonecall to the office looking after this stuff. *sigh* Just when I thought it'd been dealt with. :(
As jakejones said this seems to be correct. The back pay insurance covers 80%, not 100%.
So little is our loss,
So little is thy gain!

-John Milton

Icegemini
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Icegemini » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:51 pm

*facepalm* OMG, wow, my idiocy knows no bounds. Thanks for clearing that up guys. D'oh!

Also, jakejones, I received my forms on March 6th and sent them registered post on March 7th. The office received them on the 10th (according to my registered mail slip), and I received my notification in the mail today, so a turnaround time of about two and a half weeks - not bad eh?

rebecca432

Unread post by rebecca432 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:44 pm

Greetings from America! The trustees originally sent my documents to my old apartment in Japan but fortunately my roommate still lived there and was able to forward them to me. I'm just happy we are getting some money even though the 20% tax was annoying. It will buy a computer and start up apartment costs.

Thank you for posting that information about the English service line. I didn't receive the little notice in Japanese so they must have sent it again to my old address. I called them and they said they received my documents on March 10. She said that the payment should go out tomorrow, March 26, and that it should be in the account by some time next week. I hope everyone gets their money and we can all leave the Nova mess behind.

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
Location: On my steam yacht "The Saucy Sue", with the Balinese Goddess of Plenty

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:15 pm

Well, here, my fellow ex-Nova employees, is my little back-pay adventure story (so far)...

As you may (or may not) know, at one stage I was a member of the Union after they swore on Lenin's grave that if I gave them my loyalty and address details that they would inform the Bankruptcy Trustees of my details once bankruptcy was declared and I would be re-imbursed in the wink of an eye.

Tommyrot.

All I have got from the Union is copious emails of drivil about their latest usless venture in trying to establish the rights of the worker in Japan. They are, to wit, as effective as a cat-flap in an elephant house.

So I went it alone. I have mailed and faxed requests for the backpay forms to both addresses and numbers listed on this site. One fax (the one that I unfortunately listed - my apologies) turned out to be bogas, but the other had success in that it was accepted as an existing number. This I all did on Easter Thursday (rather delayed, yes, but in the last three weeks I have moved house, started a new job and only had the internet connected today).

So now I wait with baited breath in Australia to see whether I will get my forms...

However, I was interested to read from some contributers that the money just appeared in their Japanese bank account. As I have been offline for three weeks, I found this tidbit of information rather interesting, so I will be taking a little trip to my ATM tomorrow. I will let you all know the outcome.

However, of my previous circle of instructors, only two that I know of have received their money so far. It all seems rather random, as we were all at the same school. Is there any pattern? :huh:
It's only a short step from "tush" to "hey nonny nonny", and then I'm afraid I shall have to call the police.

I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then, hundreds of years from now, I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.

http://www.despair.com/

ZeusBeard
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by ZeusBeard » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:04 am

just recently sent my stuff too. i really need it to come off as i want to come back to japan end of may time. really need all i can get.

a few friends have received more than they were expecting anyone else had this? im due 47,000yen but there are a few toppatsus and that on there will i get anything for any of these? hope so ;-)