The Backpay Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: The Backpay Thread

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:21 pm

Japandy wrote:I'm still waiting for the confirmation. Anyone else in the same boat?
I got the left side oars! Anybody else beating the drum to keep time???
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

DentShop
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by DentShop » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:56 am

Got my slip from the government yesterday, but my Kanji ability is still not great and so I will endeavour to get a translation. But from what I gather, we will start getting paid fairly soon, like the next few weeks. Get ready for stupid purchases people.

Icegemini
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Icegemini » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:59 pm

I got a message on my phone this evening in English from the trustee's office - my paperwork had been marked "Return to Sender", but they had received one of my multiple faxes, and put it in the post to my new address today. Yatta! I'm super-relieved. Thanks for all the info everyone's been posting.

wonder_bread81
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by wonder_bread81 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 pm

got my letter today, money comes tomorrow, next comes a appletv and a apple time capsule then a drobo!

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:32 pm

wonder_bread81 wrote:got my letter today, money comes tomorrow, next comes a appletv and a apple time capsule then a drobo!
When did you send off your reply?

No letter for Muggins here although I'm still hoping it will be in my bank tomorrow - kind of like the same feeling I had last September!

wonder_bread81
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by wonder_bread81 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:37 pm

Japandy wrote:
wonder_bread81 wrote:got my letter today, money comes tomorrow, next comes a appletv and a apple time capsule then a drobo!

No letter for Muggins here although I'm still hoping it will be in my bank tomorrow - kind of like the same feeling I had last September!
The day after we all received them, I think that was a week or so ago. The money calculation was fine, but the current address was wrong (funny they sent it to the correct address), I crossed it out, changed it, honko'd it and sent it. All though perhaps its just a mail thing for you, I noticed on mine they sent it to the wrong address and the post forwarded it to my current address.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 pm

Japandy wrote:

Still rowing that same boat myself... wanna switch sides.
I sent my stuff Registered mail, JUST wanted to make sure, and it only costs 350 yen, so no biggie for a LOT of piece of mind. Checked and it was SIGNED for on the 26th of Feb. (you can trace the registered letter via internet or Phone).

So... whats up, who knows.... I, like you, am hoping that the money is in my account this time tomorrow... (though I feel the odds are like Obama Clinton primary.)

My location etc.. I am in the Kanto area, sent it back on the 25th, they got it the 26th... can't beat that for postal delivery.

How about you? Kanto, Kansai? Other?

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:48 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:
Japandy wrote:

Still rowing that same boat myself... wanna switch sides.
I sent my stuff Registered mail, JUST wanted to make sure, and it only costs 350 yen, so no biggie for a LOT of piece of mind. Checked and it was SIGNED for on the 26th of Feb. (you can trace the registered letter via internet or Phone).

So... whats up, who knows.... I, like you, am hoping that the money is in my account this time tomorrow... (though I feel the odds are like Obama Clinton primary.)

My location etc.. I am in the Kanto area, sent it back on the 25th, they got it the 26th... can't beat that for postal delivery.

How about you? Kanto, Kansai? Other?
In Kanto - sent it by registered mail on the 25th exactly like you. Let's hope for a bulging bank account tomorrow!

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Kuronama » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:01 am

I GOT MY MONEY! I checked my account just after midnight and it was in there!

So keep ur heads up everybody... if it aint in there yet, it will b soon!!! YATTA!!

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:34 am

Ye indeed, checked online just now and the much awaited cash is there!

Hang in there everybody else. I reckon the Trustees are wanting to tie it all up asap. It won't be long before you get what is owed.

bakajiji
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by bakajiji » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:19 am

Yes, my money's in the bank. Onward to next payday!

Winermute
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Winermute » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:35 am

My pay went in without a hassle. Overall I have been very impressed with the whole process - I was expecting it to take much longer than it. The trustees should be commended for the work they have done. Ever since I left Nova things have only continued to get better and better. People still at Gcom waiting for the 'right' time to jump ship should just do so right now, you're not going to have a better opportunity. While the job market is tight I have found myself in a position where there is too much work coming my way. Contrary to popular belief there are decent employers out there, you just have to get off your arse to find them.

Serpico
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Serpico » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:55 am

I got paid yesterday. I got the receipt from the Trustees on Monday, and the money went in on Wednesday. Yay! I'm off to buy a PS3 and a flat screen TV! :beer:

Now that I've received my money, I just need to file my taxes. Once I've done that, I will be able to move on and forget about this whole Nova mess.

I actually have a paper bag that contains all of my Nova paperwork from the time I worked there. Stuff like the OJT guide, overtime forms, payslips, old contracts, etc. After my taxes are done, I'm dumping all of this stuff into the trash. :twisted:

I got my back wages, I have an awesome non-teaching job, and things are going well. While he whole Nova collapse was an adventure I could have done without (I ended up losing 50,000 yen from my wages), it was thanks to the METI raids last year that I was able to go out and find my current job. :lol:

I might lurk a bit longer in these forums to check out ex_sensei's announcement when he quits G-comm, but apart from that, I think I'm done with all of this.

Thanks again for everyone's help and insight so far. If it wasn't for LJ, I might have had more trouble getting the back wages. :blah:

Sayonara! :P

boom boom 331
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by boom boom 331 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:18 pm

just to let you all know.

yesterday was the 5th, and according to the trustees website.
if you didnt receive the BACKPAY DOCs and the TAX docs, you
need to refax, and or send them in a letter.

which is exactly what i did.

i recommend sending the letter registered mail, so
they cant say they never got it.

may we all see cash soon.
its now only a matter
of WHAT is to come NEXT.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:43 pm

BACKPAY INFORMATION

I just got off the phone with a man named Jun at the government office in Kanagawa. (not sure what ministry is taking care of the backpay)

He said that the next BATCH of notifications and payments are due NEXT week. I gave him some information and he checked to make sure that they had recieved my documents, and the status of my claim. He called me back in about 2 or 3 minutes, tops.

I was told my backpay letter of notification would come on MONDAY the 10th, and my payment into my account would be the 12th (wed) around noon, so he advised me to check my bank in the afternoon.

So, those in the same boat as Japandy and myself, check your post on Monday. It appears that they are doing the processes in weekly batches.

If anyone would like to contact the office... the person you will probably get is Jun (Nice guy!). He will ask you for your Name, Date of birth and telephone number so he can call you back.

The number is 044-556-9910

Web page for the info that my wife found (all in Japanese) is http://www.rofuku.go.jp/oshirase/topics ... glish.html
I have NO idea what it says though.

boom boom 331
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by boom boom 331 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:20 pm

well my paper work came yesterday.
for some unknown reason they had my address out in
Aichi even tough i live in kanto.

mailed them off registered mail, and
hope to see the cash soon.

thanks to all those out there.

and those at GCOM get ready to get out of there.

IF you havent ALREADY
its now only a matter
of WHAT is to come NEXT.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:BACKPAY INFORMATION

I just got off the phone with a man named Jun at the government office in Kanagawa. (not sure what ministry is taking care of the backpay)

He said that the next BATCH of notifications and payments are due NEXT week. I gave him some information and he checked to make sure that they had recieved my documents, and the status of my claim. He called me back in about 2 or 3 minutes, tops.

I was told my backpay letter of notification would come on MONDAY the 10th, and my payment into my account would be the 12th (wed) around noon, so he advised me to check my bank in the afternoon.

So, those in the same boat as Japandy and myself, check your post on Monday. It appears that they are doing the processes in weekly batches.

If anyone would like to contact the office... the person you will probably get is Jun (Nice guy!). He will ask you for your Name, Date of birth and telephone number so he can call you back.

The number is 044-556-9910

Web page for the info that my wife found (all in Japanese) is http://www.rofuku.go.jp/oshirase/topics ... glish.html
I have NO idea what it says though.
Great work SSI. I just called the number and spoke to Jun. As you said my notification will come on Monday and the payment on Wednesday. Yatta!

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:28 pm

DOH, I should have just scrolled DOWN,!!! :?

Okay that page is also in English, if, unlike me, you read the entire page.

just gotta go off and smack my head with a hammer for a bit to get the neurons firing :smash:

--Grind--
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by --Grind-- » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:46 pm

I winder if it will take longer for us people out of japan, I sent my paperwork back end of last month, its been over a week they should have it by now.

Guess ill see on wednesday

rafael calderone
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by rafael calderone » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:33 am

My notification arrived in Saturday's mail and my backpay will be deposited on Wednesday March 12.

Once I get my hands on that cash the "Nova chapter" of my life will finally come to a close. :D

Bingo Ban Bedlam
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Bingo Ban Bedlam » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:46 am

rafael calderone wrote:My notification arrived in Saturday's mail and my backpay will be deposited on Wednesday March 12.

Once I get my hands on that cash the "Nova chapter" of my life will finally come to a close. :D
Thanks Rafael,

Just checked my mailbox and found the same.

JP_Jones
Photoshop King
Photoshop King

Unread post by JP_Jones » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:00 am

me too!

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:11 am

oooh pretty piece of paper from some government office that has a big number on it... hopefully its my Nova back pay and NOT my tax owed... :wink:

Wonder if Yodobashi Camera will have a similar spike in sales this week after the Nova teachers get paid. (I am SURE they had a nice spike in sales the end of last week :D

Bakananova
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Bakananova » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:12 am

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:Wonder if Yodobashi Camera will have a similar spike in sales this week after the Nova teachers get paid. (I am SURE they had a nice spike in sales the end of last week :D
How did you know that I just bought a new DSLR body?

Bakananova

Pancho
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Pancho » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Keep an eye out for a Luis Vuitton (spelling?) clad gaijin in Ginza, the mystery will be solved.
Last edited by Pancho on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, that isn't me, you're thinking of Ex-sensei

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:08 pm

Pancho wrote:Keep an eye out for a Luis Vuitton (spelling?) clad gaijin, the mystery will be solved.
If you can't spell it, its a good indication that you and Ex are not the same person double posting :D

Maybe we should start a thread, Ex Sensei, Who is he? and list all the clues we have, all the guesses we have made.
Mind you, we only have about 2 weeks to solve the mystery.

Anyone want to OUT him before he goes...??? Might not be too nice. Lets leave it up to Ex. If he doesn't mind us trying to publicly guess his identity, let us know.

Come to think of it, are we sure its a HIM?
:huh: :huh:

mican12001
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by mican12001 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:36 pm

Ex Sensei is one of two people :
he is either the great Lord Sarubashi looking to continue his reign of deception and terror or...
he is Penry (sic) a mild mannar police janitor with amazing kung foo skills. And a somewhat helpful cat.
Ex sensei, prove me wrong ( and by the way, I actually much appreciate your updates!). Send us a clue. Who are are? At least, where are you working? And who is your daddy and what does he do?
In return I will let you know who I am. (and no Michelle, I am not that person..................)
No Michelle, I am not who you think I am

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:20 am

Stick-Swinging Incident and mican12001, let's stop these questions please. Check your PMs.

(and no, I won't reveal my identity to them)
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:02 am

Okay, my bad.

No outing Ex... til hes gone beyond the reach of the Vile Evils!!!

Don7t wanna get him in deep... It would be like that CIA Gate thing in the US :(
You don't out your intelligence operatives...

jj606

Unread post by jj606 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:37 pm

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much in backpay people are getting back? I am curious as to how much I will get because I have to repay a loan which kept me going when Nova went under. Thanks. Also, I have not received any documentation from the trustees yet, despite writing to them almost two weeks ago to say that I have changed address (I moved to Korea).