The Backpay Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
kangaroo
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: The Backpay Thread

Unread post by kangaroo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Just a note from inside the trustees office.

On Monday a huge pile of unpaid salary envelopes were returned `return to sender` !!! Ex teachers who have gone home or changed address must send their new address to the trustees office!!!! I also heard a whisper from the trustees office that those who sent their documents in straight away expect your money soon, otherwise those slow coaches or those who havnt yet advised the trustees of their new address could be waiting months for back pay.

ben m

Unread post by ben m » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Hey fellow FOREIGNERS!

OK I got my Unpaid paperwork:

1] The GENSEN CHOSHUHYO (certificate of withholding tax form)... I know I need to send this in to the NOVA trustees but don't I also need this document to file my taxes? Should I just make a photocopy of this photocopy and send 1 to the trustees and the other for filing taxes?

2] The "To Foreign Employees who Apply for Replacement Payment for Unpaid Wages" document from the Japan Labor Health and Welfare Organization... It says to send the documents to the address printed at the bottom of the page, which says the 17th floor of the Solid Square East Building. But the envelope we got says the 18th floor...

3] (off topic but related) Where do I go to file my taxes? The city office Foreign section? What documents do I need to file my taxes?

If you have any info about these questions please help me out. THANKS!!

subprime
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by subprime » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:00 pm

Winermute wrote:I sent my paperwork off last week, my only concern now being when we will actually be seeing the money. If we are supposed to pay taxes before the 15th of March I'm hoping it's sometime this month or early in March. Basically I'm itching to see my bank account balance jump by half a million yen 8)
45 days is what I heard.

"paying taxes", btw, should in effect be a tax return as we've had our taxes withheld by NOVA.

prickly peet

Unread post by prickly peet » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:05 am

hi everyone,
i came to vent my frustration. i'm living back in the states now and received my back pay documents today. my problem is that they made 2 errors, resulting in shorting me out of a lot of cash. @%$&!! has this happened to anyone else?

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:14 pm

prickly peet wrote:hi everyone,
i came to vent my frustration. i'm living back in the states now and received my back pay documents today. my problem is that they made 2 errors, resulting in shorting me out of a lot of cash. @%$&!! has this happened to anyone else?
I must have got your share dude because they are over paying me by about 200k :huh:
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

death by rolling
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by death by rolling » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:17 pm

So the overseas remittance says

"... please attach a copy of any document, which is published by your beneficiary bank, and has the name of your bank/branch and account number."

Now, I currently only get online statements from my overseas bank. Given the wording, would you say it's ok to print a copy of my statement or are they going with a definition of publish that means that the bank printed it? :?:

bakajiji
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Money in the Bank Soon

Unread post by bakajiji » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi all.
I just received a letter which said that my unpaid salary will be paid into my account on March 5th, next Wednesday. Has anyone else received the good news?

hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: Money in the Bank Soon

Unread post by hucards » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:47 pm

bakajiji wrote:Hi all.
I just received a letter which said that my unpaid salary will be paid into my account on March 5th, next Wednesday. Has anyone else received the good news?
Yes I did! I just checked my mail box and it was in there. Its just a small document (quite difficult to open without ripping it) that states they will deposit the money on March 5th. I gotta hand it to the J-gov on this one. They did a very good job in my opinion.

bakajiji
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: Money in the Bank Soon

Unread post by bakajiji » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:01 pm

hucards wrote:Yes I did! I just checked my mail box and it was in there. Its just a small document (quite difficult to open without ripping it) that states they will deposit the money on March 5th. I gotta hand it to the J-gov on this one. They did a very good job in my opinion.
The light at the end of the tunnel has just been switched on.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:10 pm

I dashed to my mailbox but tragically it was empty but for a few useless flyers. I didn't send mine off until last Monday (25th). I wonder if we'll all get paid on March 5th (sincerely hope so!) or if we'll get paid in blocks. Still it's very encouraging news.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Japandy wrote:I dashed to my mailbox but tragically it was empty but for a few useless flyers. I didn't sent mine off until last Monday (25th). I wonder if we'll all get paid on March 5th (sincerely hope so!) or if we'll get paid in blocks. Still it's very encouraging news.
ME too, and there was a NOVA envelope in there too... but alas, it was my last pay stub that my branch printed and mailed to me.
Looks like we are in the same boat, I got mine sent off Monday as well.
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

Hello Worker
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Hello Worker » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Just wondering..are you guys who got that note/card in the mail re payment of unpaid wages next Wedenesday March 5th in the Kanto, Kansai or other areas? I'm in Kansai so maybe the mail from Kanagawa gets to you quicker. But if these are the first confirmations being sent out then I expect a flood of them come Monday!

bakajiji
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by bakajiji » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:58 pm

I'm in Kanto.

Hello Worker
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Hello Worker » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Cheers Bakajiji!

Well that's more bad news for team yakiniku!
Payday at G Com is coming on March 14th (A full months pay for all who went back As and Bs ) + unpaid wages coming through for some/most possibly in the next week or so (we will see what Monday's mail brings)will result in the biggest payday some will ever see in their life!!. If you are still only teaching a handful of lessons a day at G Com or just going through the motions I expect some to risk it and call in sick for a day or two or three! in the next week or so then disappear off the face of the earth come the morning of the 14th.

Anyone agree?

hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by hucards » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:18 pm

I'm in Kanto. I sent out my forms on February 22nd.
I hope that everyone that has sent in their forms receive notices early next week. I also hope that the waiting times don't exponentially increase due to a backlog. (i.e. sending forms in one day later causing a wait of an additional 1 week due to the sheer amount of paperwork the gov't receives)
As Hello Worker already mentioned, I suspect that the back pay coming in will cause a load of crap for Gcom to deal with. People will quit and go home while others will just call in sick, etc.

boom boom 331
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by boom boom 331 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 am

WTF

im still waiting for my forms.
im in kanto, and they seem to be taking
their slow ass time getting them to me...

i faxed the trustees months ago with all my information,
i havent moved or changed any of my reachable information..

:evil: :evil: :evil:
its now only a matter
of WHAT is to come NEXT.

TheJesusMemo
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by TheJesusMemo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:08 am

YES! My roommate and I got the same letters! I can't believe it! Fortunately I can check my bank account online so I'll let the world know if I got it as soon as possible. We too seem to have been in the first wave of people who got their paperwork on Thursday the 21st and we sent our paperwork in on Friday the 22nd.

lazy slacker

Unread post by lazy slacker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:06 am

yep, same here. got the (very well sealed) envelope yesterday. money will def. be put in on wednesday.
gotta say, i'm pleasantly surprised how quick it got done - in the end. :o

Pancho
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Pancho » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:25 am

Posted mine on Sunday and got the slip yesterday. I did hear that if you didn't put the salary details page in with everything, you'll be contacted and asked to send it in. Instuctions weren't so clear eh?
No, that isn't me, you're thinking of Ex-sensei

bakajiji
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by bakajiji » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:50 pm

Pancho wrote:Posted mine on Sunday and got the slip yesterday. I did hear that if you didn't put the salary details page in with everything, you'll be contacted and asked to send it in. Instructions weren't so clear eh?
Actually, I didn't include the salary details page (didn't read the instructions carefully enough!) but still received the notification of payment on March 5th. Nobody contacted me about it, although I was half expecting someone would.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:11 am

Hey all, dunno if anyone else has posted about this before, but here goes.
I was at a friend's sayonara party last night. One of the few people still in gaiji/FP was also there. We got to talking about all the BS of G.Con and the lackluster showing by the trustees. During this discussion, the 20% income tax charge for people getting their backpay delivered overseas came up.
This person informed me that if you still file a tax return, you can claim this charge back and get the money.
As we were all drinking and such, and only heard it from one person, I don't know the veracity of the statement, but well worth checking out.

Good luck all!
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

thebaumer
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by thebaumer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:50 am

so... I'm not really clear on this. Is the 20% charge only if a person is getting the overseas remittance?
Tennis Announcer 1 (Jim): That's 72 unforced errors for Richie Tenebaum. He's playing the worst tennis of his life. What's he feeling right now, Tex Haywood?
Tennis Announcer 2 (Tex Haywood): I don't know, Jim. There's obviously something wrong with him. He's taken off his shoes and one of his socks and... actually, I think he's crying.

Winermute
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Winermute » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:33 am

Yes. If you still in Japan (or paid in Japan I guess) then it doesn't apply to you. It happens anytime your last paycheck is remitted to another country, they take a 20% bite.

iwanttomakeitwork
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by iwanttomakeitwork » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:06 pm

March 5th!! I can't wait!!

Thank You Japanese Gov't!!

I doubt any of the govt's in our countries would have paid ANY portion of our lost wages.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:18 pm

iwanttomakeitwork wrote:March 5th!! I can't wait!!

Thank You Japanese Gov't!!

I doubt any of the govt's in our countries would have paid ANY portion of our lost wages.
I have certainly never heard of people being paid out like this anywhere else. Good stuff - you all deserve a break after all the nonsense from
NOVA.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

ptr
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ptr » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 pm

prickly peet wrote:hi everyone,
Yes, it happened to me too. I spoke with someone who works at the Trustee's office and was told to submit the signed/dated backpay docs regardless of whether there are mistakes or not. The reason for doing it this way is that you would get your main sum of money fairly quickly. To sort out discrepancies you have to write to the trustees (w/documented proof if possible) to the addr. below. Once the trustees have gone over your claims they will (hopefully) refund you the rest. Actually, it does say in those forms that if you think there are any errors you should put it in writing to them.

BTW, I got a slip in the post today to say they will be depositing the money into my account on March 5th. As for the missing amount (¥30~40 man), I guess I'll just have to wait.

Office of the Trustees in Bankruptcy
Attention to Jinji Kanri
The Office of the Trustees in Bankruptcy, Bankrupt Company Nova Corporation
Nishi Temma Asahi Bldg. 2F
10-14 Nishi Temma 1 cho-me,
Kita-ku, Osaka-shi 530-0047

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm glad that the dosh is coming through this week: I just ordered this vintage Japanese Les Paul :D

Winermute
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Winermute » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 pm

I got my payslip today. Dealing with the government and the unemployment authorities has been a breeze. If this had of been Australia the money would probably have been tied up for years instead of months. I'm very impressed by how quickly they organised this payout, it has only been about 4 months since Nova collapsed - that's practically lightspeed for a government agency in any other country. Provided it goes into my account without a hitch I have nothing but respect for the trustees.

gomen
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by gomen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Winermute wrote:I got my payslip today. Dealing with the government and the unemployment authorities has been a breeze. If this had of been Australia the money would probably have been tied up for years instead of months. I'm very impressed by how quickly they organised this payout, it has only been about 4 months since Nova collapsed - that's practically lightspeed for a government agency in any other country. Provided it goes into my account without a hitch I have nothing but respect for the trustees.
Absolutely. Remember Ansett Airlines going bust in 2001? I remember reading that staff only received the last portion of owed wages last year or the year before, can't remember which. that's a long time to wait! makes this wait of 4 months look respectable.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm still waiting for the confirmation. Anyone else in the same boat?