The Backpay Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
dime4dozen
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: The Backpay Thread

Unread post by dime4dozen » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:30 am

Does anyone know if there is a cut off date for getting these forms and for submission?
I've only just settled back down in Aus and discovered this info... =\

Will I be too late to get on board the back pay train?

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:15 am

think you still got time... NOT SURE about it but I THINK its a year from bankrupcy date... I THINK, but check it out at the Nova Web Site, its still maintained and has all the info that they sent to us.
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

Icegemini
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Icegemini » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:35 am

I think it's two years, IIRC, but the trustees were all like "yeah, don't wait that long, do it now plzkthx".

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:15 pm

It's 2 years from the date of official bankruptcy.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

blue jam
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by blue jam » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:50 am

The forms sent said you can claim up to a year after......today I checked my account and money had been deposited with no conformation slip sent..good stuff. I did call the number posted here, thanks for listing it and I think it's worth while giving it a ring the person I spoke to was most pleasant.

Good luck!!!
FIB. n. trivial lie

Julio Midnight
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Julio Midnight » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:40 am

blue jam wrote:The forms sent said you can claim up to a year after......today I checked my account and money had been deposited with no conformation slip sent..good stuff. I did call the number posted here, thanks for listing it and I think it's worth while giving it a ring the person I spoke to was most pleasant.

Good luck!!!
What phone number?

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:49 am

Julio Midnight wrote:
blue jam wrote:The forms sent said you can claim up to a year after......today I checked my account and money had been deposited with no conformation slip sent..good stuff. I did call the number posted here, thanks for listing it and I think it's worth while giving it a ring the person I spoke to was most pleasant.

Good luck!!!
What phone number?

Think he was talking about the number to call the Gov Office in charge of checking and sending out the money. I posted the number a few pages back... Look for my post and the name Jun... NICE guy... even better when hes's giving us money! :D

Edit, here's the Number to call to check on the status of your claim IF you have gotten the original docs and sent them back..

The number is 044-556-9910
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

ZeusBeard
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by ZeusBeard » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:44 pm

received my papers today! im gonna get about 8k more than i thought, not much but it all counts. i got them literally days after i sent them off too, so they bankruptcy people must be pretty speedy. hope its as fast for putting the money in my account!

insider
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by insider » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:09 pm

Just recieved my money.
Mine was a unique situation i think, though im not in japan anymore, i still hold a valid visa, gaijin card and bank account. As do a few others on here i think.
My money was deposited into my japan bank acc as it was the number located on my forms, and the money was sent back to me overseas. And I did not pay the extra 20% tax. So i got out with my full (80%) unpaid wages. Absolutely stoked, and for anyone else wondering if this will work.
IT WILL.

Flammenwerfer

Unread post by Flammenwerfer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 am

Got my backpay 4 weeks ago, after screwing up my Hello work papers at least they got the backpay papers right.
I have friends who went back to their home countries who haven't got their papers or are still waiting for the dosh.

All my sick days at the end were not counted either, got paid the full entitlement, I guess they cashed in my paid holidays for me, which was pleasing.
Havent looked at these nova threads for months now, god its great to free from taking bites out of the the giant shit sandwich

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
Location: On my steam yacht "The Saucy Sue", with the Balinese Goddess of Plenty

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:15 pm

FIANLLY got my backpay paperwork today! Hooray! :cheers:

Now comes the fun part of filling it out...

I have some questions to ask, and I apologise if these have been asked before. If anyone knows the answers, would be much appreciated.

1) I still have a Japanese bank account. Should I get the money deposited into that bank account (and then hit the ATM here to get it back), even though it is quite obvious that I now live back in Australia. Any thoughts/experiances?

2) Which forms do I send back? Not trying to sound like a dumb-arse, but I want to get this right the first time as it took three weeks from the time of request to get the damn things. I have been sent i) Application Form for Overseas Remittance of Replacement Payment for Unpaid Wages ii) Application for Replacement of Unpaid Wages (in Japanese with a slightly helpful example in English) iii) Certificate of Withholding Tax

3) On average, how long have people waited after sending their forms in until they have been reimbursed? I most likely will not be sending my forms in until Thursday/Friday (too buggered tonight to fill in forms, and I have to chase 'orrible little dole bludgers tomorrow :twisted: )

4) Any other helpful advice?

Thanks in advance guys, and I will keep you updated on the saga - who knows, I may be able to help someone here with my experiance in this.
It's only a short step from "tush" to "hey nonny nonny", and then I'm afraid I shall have to call the police.

I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then, hundreds of years from now, I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.

http://www.despair.com/

Hollis Brown
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Hollis Brown » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:00 pm

the document says you must provide a copy of your passport OR alien card. If you still have your alien card then send a copy of that only. If you gave it up then you are fucked.

To get around the obviousness of you living overseas:

Make sure the address on the 'Certificate of Application.....' is the same as on your gaijin card and not your address in Australia.

Do you have a trustworthy contact in Japan? If so, mail the documents to him/her first and get the person to mail the docs from a J post office. (i.e when they receive it, it wont have an Australian stamp on it)

They'll just match the address on your gaijin card to the address on your application form and...
...hey presto. 100% (of your owed 80%) will be deposited into your J bank account.

If you are no longer living in Japan, you will lose an extra 20%
"He actually has a layer of feathers growing on his face!! How is that humanly possible?! If you deep-fried a whole potato, then stuck a steel-wool pad on it and left it to rust, you'de have an uncanny miniature duplicate of Anders!"
Sir Fart Ass - Comedy gold

Darth Bass
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Darth Bass » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Lord Blackadder wrote:how long have people waited after sending their forms in until they have been reimbursed?
Got my money today, three weeks to the day from when I sent in my forms (I still live in Japan). Many other people have received theirs in as little as two weeks though.

As for any other helpful advice (for people both in japan and overseas), be careful of the letter weight. I mailed mine at a conbini because I was flying out on a holiday for about a month on the day I got the paperwork (the post office was already closed). I asked the guy to weigh it to make sure standard postage was okay (he claimed it was fine), but four weeks later I found the same envelope with a request for an additional 10 yen waiting for me when I got home...

Now that I've got my money I'm leaving these forums behind. Thanks to everyone who's posted helpful or funny stuff over the last year. Good luck to anyone who still needs it.

I'm off to spend my money! As Dave Chappele says, "I'M RICH BYATCH!"

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:51 pm

ZeusBeard wrote:a few friends have received more than they were expecting anyone else had this? im due 47,000yen but there are a few toppatsus and that on there will i get anything for any of these? hope so ;-)
According to my mother in law I got my money deposited into my Japanese account a few weeks ago. Being that I handed in my gaijin card when we moved back to Aus I couldn’t escape the extra 20% tax, however luckily someone decided that I was owed far more than I should have been so even after all the taxes I ended up with more than the months salary I was owed. I’ve heard stories from both sides in regards to this i.e. people being over or underpaid.

In any event, Kudos to whatever Japanese bureaucrats got the ball rolling and delivered on this so fast.
Lots of spending money for us when we head back in December for a quick holiday :D
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

JapaneseIdol

Unread post by JapaneseIdol » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:47 am

This probably isn't really the place to ask for help with this but I'm a little confused by the forms we were sent. In addition to the items listed in the document "Concerning the claim for Replacement Payment of Unpaid Wages" I have two documents that aren't listed- one with red print (which must be the first part because it has a number 1 at top) and one with green print (which must be the second part because the kanji in the title are the same but it has a number 2) that seems to list every month I worked for Nova and what I was paid. Are these my separation documents? I can't read the kanji.

Also, in the Application for Replacement Payment of Unpaid Wages my old Nova adress is printed everywhere I'm asked for an adress. Should I cross it out and write my current adress (in America)? I also lived here on January 1st 2007. I'm not sure there's enough room to write it.

Finally, do you think it would be better to get a red ink pad and use my seal on these documents or should I just squeeze my signature in?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Hollis Brown
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Hollis Brown » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am

Sounds like your separation docs to me.

As you will be receiving more documents in the future before you finally get your money, you will need to write the address that you currently reside at. If you still have a trusted friend that lives at the Japanese address on your gaijin card you could put that down. If you gave up your gaijin card at the airport then that isn't an option.

As for signing, you can stamp it if you have an officially registered hanko. If your hanko isn't officially registered then just sign it.
"He actually has a layer of feathers growing on his face!! How is that humanly possible?! If you deep-fried a whole potato, then stuck a steel-wool pad on it and left it to rust, you'de have an uncanny miniature duplicate of Anders!"
Sir Fart Ass - Comedy gold

ZeusBeard
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by ZeusBeard » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:21 am

can someone post the number again so that i can ring the trustees and confirm they have received my documents.

ive scanned the thread (quickly) and must have missed it. getting worried that there might have been some mistake now. its been a while.

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
Location: On my steam yacht "The Saucy Sue", with the Balinese Goddess of Plenty

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Okay, so I sent off all my paperwork on Tuesday this week. To be honest, I couldn't be fagged mucking around giving a Japanese address (when I'm in Oz), so I just gave them my details and I'll leave it up to fate to decide. I just want whatever money I can get off the lying little toerags so that I can close this chapter in my life and move on.

Australia Post told me it would take 7-10 working days for my envelope to get there. Here's to counting down...
It's only a short step from "tush" to "hey nonny nonny", and then I'm afraid I shall have to call the police.

I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then, hundreds of years from now, I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.

Julio Midnight
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Julio Midnight » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:17 am

Good Luck!

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Oh damn. I forgot about bloody Golden Week. Ah well, the new ten-speed bike will have to wait a bit longer...

aeolius
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by aeolius » Thu May 22, 2008 12:57 pm

hi, I am trying to get my backpay papers, but I dont have or remember my instructor number. . .how do I get that information?

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:40 pm

You don't have a single bit of paperwork from nOvA?

Guess you'll have to make an expensive phone call.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Fri May 23, 2008 7:39 pm

I finally got my backpay! YAY! :cheers:

It only took two months from the day I sent the paperwork off in March to them depositing the money in my account yesterday (!), but I FINALLY GOT MY BACK PAY! :cheers:

So if you haven't sent off your paperwork yet, do it. It is definately worth it.

I received about $3,500 Australian back (roughly 360,000 yen, but don't quote me on that). Money for city tax (or whatever they call it) was deducted, so that reduced the final amount a little bit, but hey, what I got was better than nothing at all.

So I'm off to the bike shop - there is a Malvern Star with my name on it. :D

To the rest of you still waiting - good luck. It's worth the wait. :luck:

Julio Midnight
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Julio Midnight » Sat May 24, 2008 8:45 am

Congrats Blackadder!

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Sat May 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Why thank you, kind Sir. These Haig's chocolates that I bought yesterday to celebrate are going down rather well, too.

To the rest of you awaiting you back pay - hang in there. You will eventually get it (it just takes a wee while).

To anyone who is waiting for the Union to do something about getting your back pay paperwork to you - do it yourself. The Union are a pack of useless bastards who couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel. They promised many of us that if we joined that they would organise everything to do with getting our back pay if Nova declared bankruptcy. Well, Nova gave up the ghost but the Union, as per usual, did sweet Fanny Addams. I, and many others who were given empty promises by the Union, were left high and dry. If it wasn't for this forum providing information on how to get said back pay, I doubt I would have got anything.

So a big round of applause to all the people over the last six months who have provided information to the rest of us out here. Your advice has been invaluable. Cheers! :cheers:

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Bought my shiny new bicycle yesterday. It is shiny and blue with many, many gears and suspension. So now I hoon around Melbourne with my dorky helmut and fluro vest, giving Yarra Trams the mighty bird. On my shiny blue bike. I actually beat the tram home, and I wasn't even trying (says something about the sad state of Melbourne's public transport...) on my shiny new blue bike.

Did I mention my bike was blue, and shiny?

:mrgreen:

Julio Midnight
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Julio Midnight » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 pm

I actually beat the tram
Is that what you Aussies are calling it these days?

Congrats!

purple_duckk
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by purple_duckk » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:34 am

I faxed off a letter to the info given on this forum:

Attention to Jinji Kanri
The Office of the Trustees in Bankruptcy,
Bankrupt Company Nova Corporation
Nishi Temma Asahi Bldg. 2F
10-14 Nishi Temma 1 cho-me,
Kita-ku, Osaka-shi 530-0047
Fax: 06-6360-6766

In the fax I asked to send me some info as to what I need to do to claim my unpaid wages and I gave them 4 ways to contact me about it with my email, phone, fax and physical address. It has been about 2 weeks and I have heard nothing back. Since I was home in America on vacation whrn Nova actually collapsed and I decided to simply not return to Japan I have no idea where to start. does anyone have a phone number I can call to get the ball rolling? Thanks.

purple_duckk
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by purple_duckk » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:16 am

Ok, I was finally sent the paperwork and I sent it all in, waited a month and recieved this cryptic email:

please advise. Is it a scam to get my info, is there a number anyone knows that I can call to talk to someone?

fromnobuyuki-miyauchi@honbu.rofuku.go.jp
topurple_duckk@gmail.com

dateFri, Oct 3, 2008 at 12:46 AM
subjectA NEW BANK
mailed-byhonbu.rofuku.go.jp

hide details 12:46 AM (14 hours ago) Reply

Dear Mr.purple_duckk(name changed)
This is Japan Labour Health and Welfare Organization. 
In your bank, it is not possible for overseas remittances not to be a global big bank.
Please show the famous bank newly. And I pray for information such as your name,
SWIFTCODE which I sent to the name of the bank, an account number,
a branch name, an address, the bank and do it.
Miyauchi

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 am

purple_duckk wrote:Ok, I was finally sent the paperwork and I sent it all in, waited a month and recieved this cryptic email:

please advise. Is it a scam to get my info, is there a number anyone knows that I can call to talk to someone?
No doubt this person has used an online translator. I doubt it is a scam - a lot of the best social engineering scams these days are actually written well to make you think they aren't a scam so reverse logic here - but you can never be too careful so you'd be best to follow your first instincts and see if you can call someone directly. Unfortunately I can't help you with numbers...
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.