Neo-Nova

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Re: Neo-Nova

Unread post by scanman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:51 am

'lessons" are 44 minutes, but that's two minutes before the start for planning and two minutes after for completing files.'

In the old days lessons were 40 minutes with ten minutes between lessons: 5.00-5.40; 5.50-6.30, 6.40-7.20, 7.30-8.10, 8.40-9.00. That's changed?

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:48 pm

They were 45 minutes in the afternoon, if I remember correctly...
Shit wank bollocks

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Yes, you are right, Ralph. 1.20; 2.15, 3.10, 4.05-4.45. Then a 15 minute break until the first evening lesson started at 5.00.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:23 pm

I never minded the afternoons - at my school they were full of yummy mummies and uni students. It was the evening when things got ugly...
Shit wank bollocks

JojoBizarro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by JojoBizarro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:09 am

ArthurGrole wrote:Do you have a foreign boss as well? Every NOVA school used to have a western "titled instructor" back in the days when there were a lot more instructors to manage, before the bunch that became NOVA Holdings took over, said they would re-employ everyone from the old bankrupt company and then didn't. There were people who in theory were around to stop this kind of thing from happening, everything now seems shambolic and amateurish.
Nope. No foreign boss, just the Japanese absentee boss that was hardly ever there and the two workplace bullies I had to deal with every day. I was recently fired, by the way … illegally, of course, for asking the nearby Labor Standards Inspection Office about some legally dubious parts of my contract … and my union is going to bat for me on this. Then again, I really won’t miss those two lying scumbags who made me dread going in there every day.
When you teach for Nova, you’re automatically to blame for everything. When the Sun swells into a red giant in five billion years, they’ll blame you for that too.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:12 am

Seems like old Nova wasn't so bad after all.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:02 am

Langslave wrote:Just as a matter of interest Jojo, how long have you been in Japan, how long were you at Nova, and which union are you with?
Also, which company were you with? The main one, NOVA Holdings, or a franchise?
The interesting fact about the Arab is that he can go for a whole year on one grain of rice… No, that’s the mosquito. I get those muddled up because they’re next door to each other in the dictionary: mosquito and mosques.

JojoBizarro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by JojoBizarro » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:48 pm

Langslave:

Just over 8 years in total now; 5 the first time, then I was in Turkey for 3 years and came back to Japan 3 years ago. I was only at Nova (a franchise, to answer ArthurGrole) since this past April, however. My union is Tokyo Roso (東京労組), and collective bargaining has been underway for some time now.

Incidentally, today at the train station, I met someone who knew my predecessor, and that predecessor got the same sort of bullying I got from the manager and the other teacher when she was working there. I found out that the branch I was working at has a bad reputation among teachers around here as a toxic working environment. I have to wonder what the turnover rate must be there and how long before my successor quits or gets sacked.
When you teach for Nova, you’re automatically to blame for everything. When the Sun swells into a red giant in five billion years, they’ll blame you for that too.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:08 pm

JojoBizarro wrote:Langslave:

Just over 8 years in total now; 5 the first time, then I was in Turkey for 3 years and came back to Japan 3 years ago. I was only at Nova (a franchise, to answer ArthurGrole) since this past April, however.
Ah. I think it might be a bit better at the parent company, but anything goes at some of those franchise places. Your one sounds like a mom and pop shop sort of outfit that just happens to be using the NOVA brand - though God knows why they would want to.
The interesting fact about the Arab is that he can go for a whole year on one grain of rice… No, that’s the mosquito. I get those muddled up because they’re next door to each other in the dictionary: mosquito and mosques.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:23 pm

How are things going at NOVA?

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:23 pm

scanman wrote:How are things going at NOVA?
They seem to be just about staying afloat.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:59 am

Are there any AAMs at Neo-Nova? How does the whole management structure work?

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:48 am

I took a stroll past my old branch in Ikebukuro when I was visiting Japan last week. NOVA is still in the building, but they've moved a few floors up. Probably cheaper, I suppose. I wonder if any of the old staff / teachers are still there. Probably not, is my guess...
Shit wank bollocks

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:56 am

Yes, I think there are a few AAMs (Argumentive Angry Members) still at Neo-Nova :)

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:16 pm

What is the average take home salary these days?

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Neo-Nova has a new advert in Japanese newspapers offering Hokkaido vegetables to new students who sign-up.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:27 pm

scanman wrote:Neo-Nova has a new advert in Japanese newspapers offering Hokkaido vegetables to new students who sign-up.
Other unmissable offers have included toasters and NOVA Usagi-flavoured curry.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:16 am

scanman wrote:Neo-Nova has a new advert in Japanese newspapers offering Hokkaido vegetables to new students who sign-up.
I saw these on the train too when I was visiting a couple of weeks ago. What an odd gimmick! Still, they must have a reasonable advertising budget at least...
Shit wank bollocks

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:49 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:
I saw these on the train too when I was visiting a couple of weeks ago. What an odd gimmick! Still, they must have a reasonable advertising budget at least...
Don't know about that, they're still using that stupid f***ing rabbit thing and I haven't seen much else in the way of advertising.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:51 am

Yeah, but ads on major public transport must cost a bit.
Shit wank bollocks

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:25 am

RalphWiggum wrote:Yeah, but ads on major public transport must cost a bit.
I think they do. I haven't seen any for NOVA where I am, though.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:55 pm

I know a lot of the people in the Nova ads - can't help but feel sorry for them.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Lamarr wrote:I guess the ones who stayed have just got no other skills or ambition. :sad:
I know a number of people who stayed on, and are still there for reasons that make sense for them and their various situations. Who the fuck are you to pass your judgement on them? Do you know every single Nova teacher? (Don't bother answering those, I don't care)

PS go fuck yourself.
Do NOT arrest this man.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:30 am

Yeah, I understand that there are better jobs out there than the new Nova. Only, in your comments from 'on-high' as it were, your little sermon from the mount, you called some of my friends (who you have never met, and know nothing about) unambitious, unskilled and incapable, which happens to be untrue. Just standing up for my friends is all.

Lamarr wrote: If you get so offended by people "slagging off" people who work at Nova, then at least try and do something about it, if you can.
Not quite sure what you mean, but I'm just gonna go ahead and file that under 'Unasked-for Advice from Sanctimonious Pricks'.
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:28 am

Lamarr wrote:It seems like it's the absolute pits, which is why I can't understand why anyone who had a chance to get out would actually want to continue working there.
FWIW, I've worked with guys who've been stuck in a rut and won't move on, although not in eikaiwa mind. I think it's the glass half full scenario: things have to get really bad before said person will move on. Looking for a job can be a real pain in the crunt, and only seems to get harder the older you get.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:27 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Lamarr wrote:It seems like it's the absolute pits, which is why I can't understand why anyone who had a chance to get out would actually want to continue working there.
FWIW, I've worked with guys who've been stuck in a rut and won't move on, although not in eikaiwa mind. I think it's the glass half full scenario: things have to get really bad before said person will move on. Looking for a job can be a real pain in the crunt, and only seems to get harder the older you get.
This is big.

When I was young, my dad worked at one restaurant chain and my mom basically hated it at the end and said that his boss was never going to promote him, but my dad still went to work every day. My family wound up moving because of my mom's work and she basically organized the entire job search for him (he isn't so great on that) and he rather quickly got a job that paid him not quite double but pretty close. When he retired, he went out and got himself a part-time job at Macy's (big department store in the US) and he likes it - they have offered him a manager's job several times but he refuses.

I work at a senmon gakko - one of the teachers when I started there had a master's. I kept telling him he'd have a much easier life if he went and worked at unis and, after about 4 years, he finally applied and got work. Now he says how much easier his life is.

I know a few people at Nova and the old timers are just really low motivation. There are a few new people I've met and they're just using it for extra cash.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 am

Lamarr wrote:At the same time, he hates "pressurized" work, and can't be arsed with having to deliver a certain standard of work, on time....he's getting into translation.
Translation will NOT be for him then.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 am

Having a master's and working at a uni is totally worth it. Even at a shitty uni it is pretty good -getting 250 or 300k a month working 15 to 18 hours a week with evenings free (for business classes) plus 5 months of paid vacation a year.

When I was getting my master's, my advisor asked me (at one of our seminars) what I wanted to do after graduating (she asked all of us) - I said I kind of wanted to work in a company, but working at a uni was really comfortable, and she simply laughed as she understood completely.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:20 am

Is teaching at private language schools dead? Heard little or no news regarding them recently.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Well, it looks like language schools are dead and buried. Rest in piece.