Neo-Nova

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
browser
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: Neo-Nova

Unread post by browser » Tue May 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Yes, I heard that Neo-Nova have been cutting salaries year on year, especially for old Novaites. They also introduced rules to allow the company to make monthly, individual salary cuts if students don't show up. Not sure about the details.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Thu May 16, 2013 4:48 am

Nova cutting salaries? Isn't that news from about 5 years ago?

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:42 am

Surely there can't be many old timers left there now? Really hope not anyway - for their sake.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sat May 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Someone on another forum posted that, with 37 lessons a week, they hadn't made 210,000 yen for 3 months! What a fucking joke. Of course, I wonder why the hell someone would stick around for that little money - one would probably make more money working as an ALT for one of the shittier places over the course of the year.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:26 pm

inflames wrote: one would probably make more money working as an ALT for one of the shittier places over the course of the year.
Plus 6 months holidays!

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Mon May 20, 2013 3:39 pm

steki47 wrote:
inflames wrote: one would probably make more money working as an ALT for one of the shittier places over the course of the year.
Plus 6 months holidays!
Can't nail the students though. (Now THAT'S old nova talking, right there)

I have a mate, still with neo-nova. According to him, he has been getting regular pay increases at re-contract time. I think he makes a sight more than my ALT salary.
Do NOT arrest this man.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:05 am

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:
steki47 wrote:
Plus 6 months holidays!
Can't nail the students though. (Now THAT'S old nova talking, right there)

I have a mate, still with neo-nova. According to him, he has been getting regular pay increases at re-contract time. I think he makes a sight more than my ALT salary.
Uh, no. You have a point. My oldest students are 14 years old.

browser
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by browser » Tue May 21, 2013 10:24 am

I too have a mate at Neo-Nova and he had his salary cut when it came up for renewal. He told me, as far as he knows, no one gets an annual pay rise, except newbies, perhaps, who are hired on a much lower salary.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Tue May 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Ah, the old 'he said, she said' game. Well, my mate isn't a liar and I am sure yours ain't either. Different situations I guess.
Whatever the pay is, the appaling conditions, expectations and demands are simply not worth it.
Do NOT arrest this man.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:26 am

I think Neo-Nova is now just a place for foreigners to hang out while they experience life in Japan. It's not really a place where you get a reasonable salary and experience good, reasonable working conditions. Someone I know informed me that his friend had his pay cut when his contract came up for renewal, not that they told him that he had done anything wrong to warrant the pay cut. Also they are cutting back on the actual physical conditons in some schools. Anyway, the days of old Nova and English teaching in Japan is well and truly over.
Last edited by scanman on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 pm

So pretty much the same as it was before the fall, then? :P

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Nobody ever had their salary cut before.

Also, apparently Nova has new textbooks, which are apparently Geos textbooks rebranded.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 pm

It has been just over seven years since old NOVA went bankrupt, Oct. 26, 2007. 'The bankruptcy announcement that put thousands of foreign-language instructors out of work (and in some cases out of apartments), even necessitating some governments to intervene and give them assistance.'

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:26 am

scanman wrote:It has been just over seven years since old NOVA went bankrupt, Oct. 26, 2007. 'The bankruptcy announcement that put thousands of foreign-language instructors out of work (and in some cases out of apartments), even necessitating some governments to intervene and give them assistance.'
Remember it well. Had refused to work anymore due to the non-payment of salary and was scrambling about for jobs. Very stressful time.

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:22 pm

I was the opposite, I quit when we didn't get paid and lived a semi-retired life for a while working my other part time jobs. It was fucking awesome!

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Even though I worked there for 8 years I have left them off my LinkedIn profile. Don't think it would be a positive addition at all.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Ah, yeah… I'm pretty glad that enough time has passed and I've found enough other jobs that I no longer need to list my eikaiwa job anymore.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:53 pm

inflames wrote:Nobody ever had their salary cut before.

Also, apparently Nova has new textbooks, which are apparently Geos textbooks rebranded.
The kids books are old GEOS books with new covers. The adult textbooks are completely new.
The interesting fact about the Arab is that he can go for a whole year on one grain of rice… No, that’s the mosquito. I get those muddled up because they’re next door to each other in the dictionary: mosquito and mosques.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:39 am

Do you work there Grole-san?

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:19 am

Japandy wrote:Do you work there Grole-san?
Yep. It's more or less stable but they'll never be one of the big eikaiwas again.
The interesting fact about the Arab is that he can go for a whole year on one grain of rice… No, that’s the mosquito. I get those muddled up because they’re next door to each other in the dictionary: mosquito and mosques.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 am

Do they still make you do 7 lessons in a row with 10 mins break?

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Junken Master wrote:Do they still make you do 7 lessons in a row with 10 mins break?
That might happen as a last resort in extreme situations where I am, but they try to avoid it. In other places they probably don't care.

JojoBizarro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by JojoBizarro » Mon May 18, 2015 2:25 pm

inflames wrote:Wait until you get an observation and part of the feedback is that you didn't follow the LMP. How many people had that happen?
I’ve gotten that a lot, yes. My honeymoon ended fairly quickly after I started just this past April.

Not only that, My complete dimwit of a manager threw a shitfit after I ended a lesson right at the bell instead of waiting a couple minutes. Never mind that the contract says lessons are 40 minutes, not 42. She lectured me about my “attitude” when I reminded her about that.
When you teach for Nova, you’re automatically to blame for everything. When the Sun swells into a red giant in five billion years, they’ll blame you for that too.

JojoBizarro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by JojoBizarro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:19 pm

inflames wrote:Nobody ever had their salary cut before.
The Nova I’m teaching at is sure trying to cut mine! They’re even using me coughing during class as a complaint!
When you teach for Nova, you’re automatically to blame for everything. When the Sun swells into a red giant in five billion years, they’ll blame you for that too.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:40 pm

JojoBizarro wrote:
inflames wrote:Wait until you get an observation and part of the feedback is that you didn't follow the LMP. How many people had that happen?
I’ve gotten that a lot, yes. My honeymoon ended fairly quickly after I started just this past April.

Not only that, My complete dimwit of a manager threw a shitfit after I ended a lesson right at the bell instead of waiting a couple minutes. Never mind that the contract says lessons are 40 minutes, not 42. She lectured me about my “attitude” when I reminded her about that.
Lessons are supposed to finish on the bell. The contracts I've seen say "lessons" are 44 minutes, but that's two minutes before the start for planning and two minutes after for completing files. You should find out who her boss is and complain to him - unless he's even more of a tool which is always possible if not probable. Is this a Japanese manager or a westerner?

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Langslave wrote:Uhh, good luck trying to complain about a J manager.
At the old Nova, we had some Japanese staff/managers who were thoroughly incompetent and they stayed for years.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:27 am

Some western ones, too.
Do NOT arrest this man.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:25 pm

steki47 wrote:
Langslave wrote:Uhh, good luck trying to complain about a J manager.
At the old Nova, we had some Japanese staff/managers who were thoroughly incompetent and they stayed for years.
They were generally the ones running the company and we all know how that turned out. It's funny, sometimes you get to meet the really senior head office managers who are invariably male, middle aged and have the leadership skills and personal qualities of a slab of concrete. They usually speak f*** all English as well and never show any inclination to bother trying.

JojoBizarro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by JojoBizarro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:44 am

ArthurGrole wrote:Lessons are supposed to finish on the bell. The contracts I've seen say "lessons" are 44 minutes, but that's two minutes before the start for planning and two minutes after for completing files. You should find out who her boss is and complain to him - unless he's even more of a tool which is always possible if not probable. Is this a Japanese manager or a westerner?
This is a Japanese manager, and she has this constantly pissy look on her face. Incompetent? Oh yes! This dimwit can’t even get a day of the week right! She told me to come in on Monday the 15th when the 15th was a Wednesday. The other English teacher there, and this is a small school with a very cliquish work environment, is a major-league sycophant with a plastic smile that never seems to leave his face. These two have been telling the boss (who speaks no English) barefaced lies about me, including this one accusation that I’ve been farting in the workplace, and when students quit, it’s always me that gets scapegoated for it. Never mind that Nova is world-famous for bilking its customers.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:05 am

JojoBizarro wrote:
ArthurGrole wrote:Is this a Japanese manager or a westerner?
This is a Japanese manager, and she has this constantly pissy look on her face. Incompetent? Oh yes! This dimwit can’t even get a day of the week right! She told me to come in on Monday the 15th when the 15th was a Wednesday. The other English teacher there, and this is a small school with a very cliquish work environment, is a major-league sycophant with a plastic smile that never seems to leave his face. These two have been telling the boss (who speaks no English) barefaced lies about me, including this one accusation that I’ve been farting in the workplace, and when students quit, it’s always me that gets scapegoated for it. Never mind that Nova is world-famous for bilking its customers.
Do you have a foreign boss as well? Every NOVA school used to have a western "titled instructor" back in the days when there were a lot more instructors to manage, before the bunch that became NOVA Holdings took over, said they would re-employ everyone from the old bankrupt company and then didn't. There were people who in theory were around to stop this kind of thing from happening, everything now seems shambolic and amateurish.