Supernova: After the flameout

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:27 pm

Peter wrote:Just visited

http://www.g-com.jp/

and there is a link on the main page marked "To all Nova staff"
Once you click it, it asks for a password!

Anyone know more?
Yeah, that's the website where the NOVA staff download the documents for staff/instructors. The NOVA computers can now access the Internet (to a limited degree).
Last edited by ex_sensei on Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:27 pm

ex_sensei wrote:
1874 wrote:I'm beginning to get a feeling that G.com are actually quite a professionally run company from an M & A point of view.

They were planning to open 30 schools by the end of the month but it looks like it will be over 40. I expect them to have over 200 quicker than they planned also. Much as I hope I'm wrong I suspect the owner and his top managers ain't fools.

It will be a more streamlined and efficient company with both the students and teachers suffering for it.
You obviously know NOTHING about what is going on behind the scenes.
What are your vibes so far ex-sensei?

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:35 pm

Japandy wrote:What are your vibes so far ex-sensei?
I have a lot of time on my hands as I sit on the bloody Chuo Line heading to the middle of the sticks for work which leads me to think about these points every day:

1. GCOM are very concerned about opening-up the branches, but know nothing about how to run the place or deal with NOVA instructors
2. GCOM offered an advance which people have yet to see
3. Instructors are working without any insurance or contracts
4. Instructors are still being evicted and GCOM says that it's none of their concern
5. GCOM doesn't communicate with NOVA Foreign Personnel
6. Almost none of the GCOM them know of the duties of IAMs or AMs

Edit: Clarity/Spelling
Last edited by ex_sensei on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:39 pm

ex_sensei wrote:
I have a lot of time on my hands as I sit on the bloody Chuo Line heading to the middle of the sticks for work which leads me to think about these points every day:

1. They are very concerned about opening-up the branches, but know nothing about how to run the place or deal with NOVA instructors
2. They offered an advance which people have yet to see
4. Instructors are still being evicted and GCOM says that it's non of their concern
5. They don't communicate with Foreign Personnel
6. Almost none of them know of the duties of IAMs or AMs
Doesn't sound like you'll be staying there long!

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 am

ex_sensei wrote:

1. GCOM are very concerned about opening-up the branches, but know nothing about how to run the place or deal with NOVA instructors
2. GCOM offered an advance which people have yet to see
4. Instructors are still being evicted and GCOM says that it's none of their concern
5. GCOM doesn't communicate with NOVA Foreign Personnel
6. Almost none of the GCOM them know of the duties of IAMs or AMs

Edit: Clarity/Spelling

The first point seems to be quite clear, actually. They are treating Nova instructors like Japanese employees except the Japanese staff received their advances already if my source is correct.

I was talking with a friend and learned that G-Com doesn't know what they bought and are learning about late deductions, allowances (which make up a huge chunk of Instructor salaries), roles of foreigners in the organization, etc. A previous post mentions "compromises". What kinds of compromises will people be subjected to after they started work with the promise to keep things the same? Too many question marks. G-Com has already lied. How many more times will they lie?

To work and not know you are getting paid? Been there, done that. To work and not know the precise details of the contract for a company that has not really earned anyone's trust? I don't think so. I don't work for promises of money. I work for money. There is a big difference.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:22 am

ex sensei... if yer not impressed by g-string, why did you sign up for them?

the only reason i can possibly think of is the chance to get yer wanky wee rank back.

make sure them drones have all the top buttons up!

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:39 am

indoctrin8 wrote:ex sensei... if yer not impressed by g-string, why did you sign up for them?

the only reason i can possibly think of is the chance to get yer wanky wee rank back.

make sure them drones have all the top buttons up!
Yeah! You've figured me out, Einstein. Never mind that I've already mentioned several times before why I signed-up with them and how long I'm staying with them.

Oh, and I'm not going to start a flame war with you. I'm more mature than that!

Edit - To write about avoiding a flame war - Why waste people's time?
Last edited by ex_sensei on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:46 am

Meanwhile, how about the new deal that GCOM's giving instructors who now have finally been called-in:

You can get YEN 150,000 not to come back to work until January 2008.

You won't have to pay that back! It's not an advance. It's all for you!

I smell a bribe to get rid of people/thin out ranks: Instructors will take it, and move on to another job or back home. Think of it as a farewell gift! An instructor would be almost insane not to take it!
Last edited by ex_sensei on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:49 am

ex_sensei wrote:
Yeah! You've figured me out, Einstein. Never mind that I've already mentioned several times before why I signed-up with them and how long I'm staying with them.
the implication being that i bother to read your earlier posts...

unpaidagain
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Password for http://www.g-com.jp/documents/

Unread post by unpaidagain » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:13 am

http://www.g-com.jp/documents/

id is nova

Password is documents_1122

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Password for http://www.g-com.jp/documents/

Unread post by ex_sensei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 am

unpaidagain wrote:http://www.g-com.jp/documents/

id is nova

Password is documents_1122
From above before the password is changed (which confirms a lot of what I mentioned before - Points to consider in bold):

■11月26日に(株)ノヴァは破産し、27日以降は立替金も拠出がなくなります。
つきましては元外国人インストラクター及びスタッフの方々に関しましては、
本HPでのダウンロードにて下記まで郵送をお願い致します。

The bankruptcy date for NOVA was confirmed as being November 26, 2007 and as of November 27 the salary that could be claimed from the government has stopped. For foreign instructors who wish to apply for employment with G. Education please download the appropriate documents from this website and post them to the address below.

■今回は「パターンA」「パターンB」の2つの雇用形態があり、
内容に関しては各書式を確認して下さい。
いずれかの選択をして頂き、どちらか一つの書式を郵送下さい。

This time there are two offers of employment to choose from, Pattern A and Pattern B. Please check and confirm the details of each employment offer on the application form.
Please choose one of these employment offers and post the appropriate form to us.

「パターンA」

■「パターンA」に関してはこれまでの業務での再雇用ではなくて、
NOVAスタッフとして勤務して頂きます。引越し作業などの残務作業も
ありますので、よろしくお願い致します。

Regarding employment under 'Pattern A': Your emloyment will not be the same as it was up until now, as an instructor, but rather as a NOVA staff member. The work you could be asked to do will include such things as moving, cleaning and perhaps some administration work. Please follow the instructions given to you by your supervisor.

「パターンB」

■「パターンB」は150,000円の拠出を行います。これは返却不要です。

Pattern B includes the payment to you of 150,000 yen. This amount does not need to be repaid to G Education

■1/10からの入社となります。
The entrance date with G Education will be January 10, 2008.

■(株)ジー・エデュケーション/大阪支社
〒556-0017
大阪府大阪市浪速区湊町1-4-38
近鉄新難波ビル19F

担当:前田直子

■(株)ジー・エデュケーション/東京支社
〒163-0823
東京都新宿区西新宿2-4-1 新宿NSビル23F

担当:中野久仁子 

notice

①入社日は書式記入日にして下さい
The entrance date with G Education is the same date as the date that you filled in the form.

②退社日は書式記入日前日にしてください
The resignation date from NOVA is one day before the day that you filled in the form.

③ビザ・パスポートのコピーも併せて送って下さい
Please also send a copy of your visa and passport information page

字が汚い、記入漏れなどがあった場合、
正式な入社手続きが出来ませんのでご注意下さい
If any of the documents are unclear or any of the information is missing then the process to complete your entrance to G Education cannot be completed so please be careful to write clearly and supply clear copies of your documents

※その他不明な点がありましたら、各Mに連絡を取って下さい
If you have any questions about these points please discuss them with your IAM (former AAM) or AM (former RAAM) or GM (former CAAM)

unpaidagain
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

request 1

Unread post by unpaidagain » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:30 am

Request for Employment
Affiliation: NOVA / Multimedia Center Title/Position: ______________________________________
Employee Number: ____________ Entered Nova in: _____________________ (mm/yyyy)
Name: ________________________________________________ Signature:
Address: ___________________________________________________________________________________________
I hereby request to leave NOVA Corporation to become an employee of G.education Co., according to the following working
conditions:
Commencement of
employment
Date: (month) Jan (day) 10 , 2008
Last place of
employment NOVA / Multimedia Center
Employee number at
last place of
employment
Back Account Same bank account that NOVA was notified of
Notes:
1. You shall be hired as an employee and work for the time being according to the work area, title, work, form of
employment and working conditions as of the time when you left NOVA Corporation. The period of
employment will correspond to the remaining period of your Nova Instructor Contract. Your work, form of
employment and working conditions may be changed after due consultations between both parties.
当面の間、(株)NOVA を退職した際の勤務エリア、役職、勤務内容、雇用形態、勤務条件などを引き
継ぐものとします。雇用期間はNOVA インストラクタとしての契約のとなります。雇用期間終了時、
勤務内容、雇用形態、勤務条件については、双方の協議の上で変更にあることもあります。
2. Your monthly income shall correspond to your final monthly income at NOVA Corporation.
  月額賃金については、(株)NOVA の最終金額に準じます。
3. Your allocation of paid holidays shall become available 6 months after your start date with G.education Co., Ltd.
The number of paid holidays in this allocation shall be the same as the number on your current Nova Instructor
Contract. Any paid holidays accrued while employed by NOVA Corporation shall not be carried over.
有給休暇はジーエデュケーションで勤務して6 ヶ月後に発生します。その日数は現在のNOVA のイン
ストラクターとしての契約書に記載されている日数に準じます。NOVA での未消化の有給を持ち越す
ことはできません。
4. A Payment of ¥150,000 yen shall be provided on request. If you wish to receive this please check the box below.
要望があれば、150,000 円を支払います。希望する方は下のボックスを記入してください。
    Yes はい  No いいえ
I would like to receive the payment of ¥150,000.
¥150,000 の支給を希望します。

B 2007.1124

unpaidagain
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

request2

Unread post by unpaidagain » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:31 am

Request for Employment
Affiliation: NOVA / Multimedia Center Title/Position: ______________________________________
Employee Number: ____________ Entered Nova in: _____________________ (mm/yyyy)
Name: ________________________________________________ Signature:
Address: ___________________________________________________________________________________________
I hereby request to leave NOVA Corporation to become an employee of G.education Co., according to the following working
conditions:
Commencement of
employment
Date: (month) Nov (day) , 2007
Last place of
employment NOVA / Multimedia Center
Employee number at
last place of
employment
Back Account Same bank account that NOVA was notified of
Notes:
1. You shall be hired as an employee and work for the time being according to the work area, title, work, form of
employment and working conditions as of the time when you left NOVA Corporation. The period of
employment will correspond to the remaining period of your Nova Instructor Contract. Your work, form of
employment and working conditions may be changed after due consultations between both parties.
当面の間、(株)NOVA を退職した際の勤務エリア、役職、勤務内容、雇用形態、勤務条件などを引き
継ぐものとします。雇用期間はNOVA インストラクタとしての契約のとなります。雇用期間終了時、
勤務内容、雇用形態、勤務条件については、双方の協議の上で変更にあることもあります。
2. Your monthly income shall correspond to your final monthly income at NOVA Corporation.
  月額賃金については、(株)NOVA の最終金額に準じます。
3. Your allocation of paid holidays shall become available 6 months after your start date with G.education Co., Ltd.
The number of paid holidays in this allocation shall be the same as the number on your current Nova Instructor
Contract. Any paid holidays accrued while employed by NOVA Corporation shall not be carried over.
有給休暇はジーエデュケーションで勤務して6 ヶ月後に発生します。その日数は現在のNOVA のイン
ストラクターとしての契約書に記載されている日数に準じます。NOVA での未消化の有給を持ち越す
ことはできません。
4. A salary advance of ¥50,000 yen shall be provided on request. If you wish to receive this please check the box
below.
要望があれば、50,000 円の前払い給与を支払います。希望する方は下のボックスを記入してください。
  Yes はい No いいえ
I would like to receive the salary advance of ¥50,000.
This will be deducted from the January 2008 salary.
前払いで給与¥50,000 の支払いを希望します。
この金額は2008 年1 月分の給与から控除します。.

A 2007.1124

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:38 am

ex_sensei wrote:
「パターンA」

Regarding employment under 'Pattern A': Your emloyment will not be the same as it was up until now, as an instructor, but rather as a NOVA staff member. The work you could be asked to do will include such things as moving, cleaning and perhaps some administration work. Please follow the instructions given to you by your supervisor.

「パターンB」

Pattern B includes the payment to you of 150,000 yen. This amount does not need to be repaid to G Education

The entrance date with G Education will be January 10, 2008.
I think that Pattern A is worth a good look: We're now NOVA Staff? Does that mean that we'll get bonuses? Shakai Hoken? Most likely not! But we will now have to take out the garbage, etc. I think the translation is a bit off. What I think they meant is that don't sit on your asses and read magazines or play with your iPods when you're at work waiting for classes to finally begin in your branch (at some point in the future).
Last edited by ex_sensei on Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moonos21
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Moonos21 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:44 am

Is this 150k for all instructors or multimedia only?

unpaidagain
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by unpaidagain » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:45 am

everyone

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:45 am

Moonos21 wrote:Is this 150k for all instructors or multimedia only?
All instructors who have not already signed-up with neo-NOVA/GCOM but have been called (i.e. The instructors who have been waiting for a call).
Last edited by ex_sensei on Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

unpaidagain
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by unpaidagain » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:46 am

maybe

Monkeynuts
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Location: Sitting comfortably,watching the evil empire's demise and resurrection.

Unread post by Monkeynuts » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:03 am

ex_sensei wrote:
Moonos21 wrote:Is this 150k for all instructors or multimedia only?
All instructors who have not already signed-up with neo-NOVA/GCOM but have been called (i.e. The instructors who have been waiting for a call)?
I haven't been called,guess that means I'm already on the shitlist. Does anyone know if G-com have access to instructor files,cos if they do and they saw mine I expect that's why I haven't been called. Still BS as most of it was nonsense,but hey fuck G-Com,I'll take my chances with UI. By all accounts they are gonna be a bitch to work for.
If staffs smile,students will smile,teachers will smile,and visitors will smile. And then we will always achieve our targets!!

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:04 am

Monkeynuts wrote:I haven't been called,guess that means I'm already on the shitlist. Does anyone know if G-com have access to instructor files,cos if they do and they saw mine I expect that's why I haven't been called. Still BS as most of it was nonsense,but hey fuck G-Com,I'll take my chances with UI. By all accounts they are gonna be a bitch to work for.
No! You should call your AM (ex-RAAM) or FP. You've probably been called but your phone was engaged or you were unavailable. Have you called FP?

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:28 am

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

INSTRUCTORS WHO HAVE NOT BEEN CALLED

I have just got word from someone that you should contact your ex-RAAM (now called AM - if you have their number), or Foreign Personnel as soon as possible. Call them today! Please find out:

1. If you're on any of their lists of instructors to be called
2. If you're not on a list, ask them to put you on one (they will)

If you wish to take the YEN 150,000 option and start in January 2008 (discussed on page 123), inform them of this at that time. This is your only option for getting some money in December. Remember that GCOM isn't paying you to sit and wait! They said they would, but they aren't!

INSTRUCTORS WHO HAVE BEEN CALLED

For those who have been called, but have yet to go to their allocated branches:

1. You too have the YEN 150,000 option - If you go to your branch and are not told of this, ASK for it.
2. You also have the option of a YEN 50,000 advance. Unlike the option above, you will have to pay back the advance from your January paycheque

INSTRUCTORS WHO ARE WORKING

You'll get paid on December 5th. If you did not get the advance, you still have time to apply. Please do so by November 30th. However, you will not be able to switch to the YEN 150,000 payment option.

WHY?

The reason I'm writing this is that my source told me that there is a deadline. That's right: GCOM has set a deadline for when these forms should be in. The deadline is the end of this week. Let's be safe and say November 30th, 2007.

mfgrape
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by mfgrape » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:10 am

ex-sensei is right.

They were going through the lists today.
I am not sure that they got through all of the teachers, but interviews/form filling out needs to be done by Friday (30th).

At the moment, not sure which option I would lean towards...

If we were to choose A, would they open enough branches in our area or would we have to move/transfer to a new location. Longer commutes aren't great, but I would prefer them to finding a new apartment or whatever.

If we choose B, there is the immediate cash and if one were motivated enough...as I am sure any instructor without cash has been...private students could supplement your income and you might break even...of course the holidays pose a problem with that route. Plus, continuing the private lessons after January would be another issue.

dg
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by dg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:29 am

As Im sure you all remember, at the big meeting the trustees said anyone who didnt resign would be fired and get 30 days paid notice, but ....

[quote]Neither bonus nor dismissal notice allowance are subject to the replacement payment[/quote]

I put my faith in the trustees, and have been badly let down. Another lesson learnt.

Monkeynuts
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Location: Sitting comfortably,watching the evil empire's demise and resurrection.

Unread post by Monkeynuts » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:40 am

ex_sensei wrote:Meanwhile, how about the new deal that GCOM's giving instructors who now have finally been called-in:
You can get YEN 150,000 not to come back to work until January 2008.
You won't have to pay that back! It's not an advance. It's all for you!
I smell a bribe to get rid of people/thin out ranks: Instructors will take it, and move on to another job or back home. Think of it as a farewell gift! An instructor would be almost insane not to take it!
What's the deal with that 150k? What's to stop us taking the cash and telling G-com where to stick it and is it possible to take the cash and still get UI? Now that would be key but I'm not holding my breath!
If staffs smile,students will smile,teachers will smile,and visitors will smile. And then we will always achieve our targets!!

fightnight
Asshat
Asshat

Unread post by fightnight » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:23 am

[/quote]

I think the translation is a bit off. What I think they meant is that don't sit on your asses and read magazines or play with your iPods when you're at work waiting for classes to finally begin in your branch (at some point in the future).[/quote]

What it means is that Nova instructors will be dismantling old branches - cleaning and moving in short. Enjoy!

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:33 pm

I forgot to mention that this thread is closed, and the discussion continues in the G.comm Neo-Nova thread.