Supernova: After the flameout

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
User avatar
ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:18 pm
Location: Hermes Ginza Flagship Store

Unread post by ex_sensei » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:33 am

Sparkle wrote:I went to an MM Center Information Session and NO ONE had to "interview" to get their jobs back. Yet. This could change.

3) You will NOT be working for Nova people. You will be working for the new company ONLY.
Is the new company you mention GCOM? So they're taking over the MM side of the business completely? No more ex-NOVA people managing it? This is a bit disconcerting because it could mean that GCOM will want to keep MM and eventually spin-off NOVA. After all, GCOM is a M&A company!
Last edited by ex_sensei on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

User avatar
ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:18 pm
Location: Hermes Ginza Flagship Store

Unread post by ex_sensei » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:33 am

Japandy wrote: Is it the base salary, total salary without deductions or salary after deductions?
I've been told by two sources that it's the full salary, not just the base.
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

gekikara26
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: Fukuoka

Unread post by gekikara26 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:52 am

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
bostongatewayfpm wrote:
PanicInducingGaijin wrote: There may be a steep learning curve, but G-com is most definitely not treating everyone the same. If they were, you'd have already signed the existing G-com contracts and now be regular permanent employees with benefits.
What I heard was the contract hasn't been offered because what G Com. wanted to use was just a direct translation of the contract they use for


their current employees.
A lot actually do. Semmon gakkos and proper schools treat foreign teachers the same as anyone else. Its quite weird at first and you are actually waitining for people tp pick you up on stuff and then they dont.
Thats probably why they havent thought about contracts teachers. They probably dont fuck people around like NOVA and have never had to deal with that sought of stuff. After getting out of NOVA it is quite refreshing to find that things can be much much greener on the other side. No black books, teachers consulted on syllabus and things handled how adults usually hand them.
NOVA was so hypocritical. Telling instructors that it was legally required to enrol in health insurance so as to make money through JMA and then
fixing it so they didnt have to pay for teachers shakai hoken.
Most companies wouldnt know about that as they just dont do crafty shit like the cocks at NOVA do.
gekikara26

Spanner
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:19 pm

Unread post by Spanner » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:58 am

mfgrape wrote:This is kind of bothersome:

G. communication plans to employ less than half of the 1,760 who applied to work.

I was under the impression that they had intended to hire the 1,760 since it was only around 1/3 of the total number of people. But half of that?
Sorry if I missed this but ............ have they announced required teacher numbers?????

User avatar
exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:33 am
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:35 am

Silly, somewhat off-topic, question...
So, the dead Nova is to be delisted today. When will it be noted on the we page? At open of business or close of business? Or will JASDAQ just let it ride until the 30th, when it all becomes "official"?


OK, checked again this morn (at 9), and it's gone!
The JASDAQ site gives this:
該当の会社は見つかりません
Last edited by exUsagiCoalMiner on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

mfgrape
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:45 am

Unread post by mfgrape » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:02 am

Spanner wrote: Sorry if I missed this but ............ have they announced required teacher numbers?????

LetsJapan Homepage...the asahi shimbun article. Again, not really sure what is fact, fiction, or poor journalism.

Given how poorly the newspapers and media have dealt with Nova's collapse I wouldn't be surprised if some of the information printed/on tv comes directly from LetsJapan or other forums and not from the Horse's mouth.

User avatar
Franksandbeans
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Unread post by Franksandbeans » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 am

gekikara26 wrote:
PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
bostongatewayfpm wrote: What I heard was the contract hasn't been offered because what G Com. wanted to use was just a direct translation of the contract they use for


their current employees.
A lot actually do. Semmon gakkos and proper schools treat foreign teachers the same as anyone else. Its quite weird at first and you are actually waitining for people tp pick you up on stuff and then they dont.
Thats probably why they havent thought about contracts teachers. They probably dont fuck people around like NOVA and have never had to deal with that sought of stuff. After getting out of NOVA it is quite refreshing to find that things can be much much greener on the other side. No black books, teachers consulted on syllabus and things handled how adults usually hand them.
NOVA was so hypocritical. Telling instructors that it was legally required to enrol in health insurance so as to make money through JMA and then
fixing it so they didnt have to pay for teachers shakai hoken.
Most companies wouldnt know about that as they just dont do crafty shit like the cocks at NOVA do.

Wait, so am I reading this correctly?

If G-money was intending to sign everyone with translations of existing contracts, meaning they were planning to treat all instructors as regular employees, that's a big deal.

The delay in contracts is due to the need to rework Nova contracts, or produce entirely new ones from scratch?

Sorry, where does this informatnion come from and who exactly intervened i.e. stopped them from using their existing contracts and (forced the issue?) to produce a special contract for instructors?

And lying outright to trick people into signing up for JMA? ... Low...
She loves me, she loves me not. She loves me, she loves me not. She lo...

bobonobo
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:04 am

Unread post by bobonobo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:39 am

Hello everyone.

I thought that we couldn't get UI for thirty days after the official bankruptcy because of the thirty days notice we would have to be given to terminate the contract? So if the company is bankrupted on the 30th, then we'll have to wait another 30 days. Or is the thirty days November? But the contract hasn't been terminated until bankruptcy has it? I'm a bit confused.

User avatar
deadbunny
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:26 am

Unread post by deadbunny » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:57 am

bobonobo wrote:Hello everyone.

I thought that we couldn't get UI for thirty days after the official bankruptcy because of the thirty days notice we would have to be given to terminate the contract? So if the company is bankrupted on the 30th, then we'll have to wait another 30 days. Or is the thirty days November? But the contract hasn't been terminated until bankruptcy has it? I'm a bit confused.
AFAIK you can just get your rishokuhyou to say you were paid late twice. Then you can collect immediately.

User avatar
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4131
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives
Contact:

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:04 am

mfgrape wrote:This is kind of bothersome:

G. communication plans to employ less than half of the 1,760 who applied to work.
My bad here. Saying they plan to hire less than half of the 1,760 is not quite right. It's more accurate to say that of the 1,760 applicants, about half have been re-hired. :oops:

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:16 am

Back pay plus UI could add up to quite a bit for some. I done some rough calculations and saw some sweet figures. A lot of it will be used to replace the savings I've been draining this past month or so.

User avatar
Franksandbeans
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Unread post by Franksandbeans » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:20 am

Saw this on tv last night.

A well tired, overdone topic but worth pointing out the absence of foamy costumes and starving student outfits at this rally.


http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 127a1.html
She loves me, she loves me not. She loves me, she loves me not. She lo...

User avatar
Franksandbeans
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Unread post by Franksandbeans » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:36 am

steki47 wrote:Back pay plus UI could add up to quite a bit for some. I done some rough calculations and saw some sweet figures. A lot of it will be used to replace the savings I've been draining this past month or so.

Funny isn't it... Normally I'd be pretty pissed off at the prospect of only 80% salary for days worked, because in my mind they are worth 100%. Still pissed about double digit unused paid holidays which have apparantly gone down the shithole.

However, time away from getting paid has somehow softened the blow, so to speak, and yeah I'm cautiously looking forward to that chunk of cash that's supposedly in the mail.
She loves me, she loves me not. She loves me, she loves me not. She lo...

TurningPoint
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:08 pm

Unread post by TurningPoint » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:52 am

Hey, i've been out of the loop for a little while.. but if anyone can help id greatly appreciate it...

I worked for nova from apr 2006 to nov 2007.. i left nova end of october (not officially however) and have returned to my home country.. is it possible to claim my unpaid wages for sept and oct whilst in Australia? or have i now officially lost all that money?

if i can.. what steps would i need to take?
id really appreciate any help on this :)

User avatar
Tengu
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Japan

GCOM

Unread post by Tengu » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:59 am

At the first G. Communication meeting they said ALL ex-NOVA employees were going to get employed and they would give us a call the next day. BULL :poo:, not even a call to let us know that things had been delayed. If G. Communication calls me I am going to tell them that they acted very unprofessional and that I would not lower my standards to work for their company. I hope that the remaining teachers do the same and sink this G. Communication Ship. :guns:
I am ashamed and embarrassed to say that this was the company I worked for... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1owcncKCHg

User avatar
wtfysc
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:19 am
Location: Tokyo

Unread post by wtfysc » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:00 pm

TurningPoint wrote:Hey, i've been out of the loop for a little while.. but if anyone can help id greatly appreciate it...

I worked for nova from apr 2006 to nov 2007.. i left nova end of october (not officially however) and have returned to my home country.. is it possible to claim my unpaid wages for sept and oct whilst in Australia? or have i now officially lost all that money?

if i can.. what steps would i need to take?
id really appreciate any help on this :)
The trustees have said you should be able to, however noone is 100% sure on the proceedure just yet. The Q&A says more information will be given on that later.

The Q&A also lists a new address in Japan for you to contact the trustees. You need to let them know where you are living.

User avatar
deadbunny
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:26 am

Re: GCOM

Unread post by deadbunny » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Tengu wrote:At the first G. Communication meeting they said ALL ex-NOVA employees were going to get employed and they would give us a call the next day. BULL :poo:, not even a call to let us know that things had been delayed. If G. Communication calls me I am going to tell them that they acted very unprofessional and that I would not lower my standards to work for their company. I hope that the remaining teachers do the same and sink this G. Communication Ship. :guns:
Meh... there're always be suckers to support a companies like G-spot. Good on you for ditching them though.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:09 am

Unread post by Level3 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:10 pm

A silver lining for the cloud.

If you ex-drones get all this back pay sometime next year, then your total income for THIS calendar year will be lower (10% of no pay = zero tax for those months, yay!). So, next year's tax obligations will also be quite low, and if you slip below the magic number of around 2,000,000 yen a year, you can even get into a lower tax bracket, and the decreased tax obligation might even start to come close to making up for the rest of the 80% of unpaid wages.

The worst possible outcome would be for this big packet of pay to show up just at the end of December and was enough to put you over the magic number.

No, wait, THE worst possible outcome is that Nova was stealing your tax deductions all along, just like the rent money, and you will have huge tax bill come March 2008 anyway, while the city starts beating down your door to pay up 2 years of kenko hoken and pension back payments. Could be up to 1,000,000 yen for some.

Only silver lining in that scenario is the usually frustrating lack of connectivity between local governmetns and agencies is helpful in this case, in that you WILL (probably) get that huge chunk of money and a huge tax and hoken bill separately. So you can take the money and run to China, Korea or home and forget about the bills.

Meanwhile, is it turning out that G.Com plans to use you teachers as cheap labor to move offices and furniture. Isn't that kind of a visa violation? Unless there's something uniquely international about the culture of moving boxes of books...
English books..
AH! now it's international. No visa problem here. You can go about your business. Move along.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

TurningPoint
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:08 pm

Unread post by TurningPoint » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:54 pm

wtfysc wrote:
TurningPoint wrote:Hey, i've been out of the loop for a little while.. but if anyone can help id greatly appreciate it...

I worked for nova from apr 2006 to nov 2007.. i left nova end of october (not officially however) and have returned to my home country.. is it possible to claim my unpaid wages for sept and oct whilst in Australia? or have i now officially lost all that money?

if i can.. what steps would i need to take?
id really appreciate any help on this :)
The trustees have said you should be able to, however noone is 100% sure on the proceedure just yet. The Q&A says more information will be given on that later.

The Q&A also lists a new address in Japan for you to contact the trustees. You need to let them know where you are living.
thanks for the info :)

User avatar
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic
Posts: 795
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:47 am
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Unread post by Ziggy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:02 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
sampler wrote:Just spotted this job ad: http://tinyurl.com/2b7roz
Nova represents all that is innovative and successful about Japan.
:rotfl: :drunk:
Christ! How old is that page and who's the crackhead who came up with that?
So little is our loss,
So little is thy gain!

-John Milton

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:59 am
Contact:

Unread post by sampler » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:08 pm

More bizarrely, the sister company is still offering jobs!

http://tinyurl.com/28k77p

Peter
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:50 am

Unread post by Peter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Just visited

http://www.g-com.jp/

and there is a link on the main page marked "To all Nova staff"
Once you click it, it asks for a password!

Anyone know more?

gonetothedogs
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:09 pm

Do they have something up their sleeve?

Unread post by gonetothedogs » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:46 pm

During my TOEIC/ TOEFL "training",the rather horsey lady doing it said. "Please take out your cell phones and go to your calculators!"
Not having one at that time, I just sat there with a stupid grin on my face while some hot-shot next to me was speeding to get the answer before the others. Now I'd like you to do the same.
Multiply the number of lessons you will teach in a month by 5 (the maximum number of students in your class at G-Com)then by the number of teachers in your branch. Multiply that by 650yen(the cost that an ex-Nova student will pay for one lesson until their tickets run out) .This will give you the total income of the branch.
Then add the total amount of salaries(instructors,staff,area managers), rent(our branch was 850,000), up- keep of the school, tax, etc.
I found out that my branch would have to have between 1000~1500 students filling every class to maximum capacity, to break even.
There is a chance that some new students will join the school, but with the poor image that Nova has given the Japanese public, it is hard to tell what will happen.One good point that G-Com has going for it, is the monthly payment system. It might just attract a few punters.

User avatar
Mogura
Porn Lord
Porn Lord
Posts: 3096
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:39 pm
Location: The Love Hotel
Contact:

Unread post by Mogura » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:50 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
Level3 wrote:No, wait, THE worst possible outcome is that Nova was stealing your tax deductions all along, just like the rent money, and you will have huge tax bill come March 2008 anyway, while the city starts beating down your door to pay up 2 years of kenko hoken and pension back payments. Could be up to 1,000,000 yen for some.
You would not be held liable for any tax or pension obligations in the event that Nova deducted the money but failed to pay the government. This sort of thing has happened in Japan before.
I didn't work for Nova, but years ago I did work for a school that did just that... they deducted inhabitant tax from my salary, but failed to pay it to the local tax office. I went to the tax office with my documents, pay slips, etc. and I still wound up being liable for the unpaid tax...

Lucio Argento
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:09 pm

Unread post by Lucio Argento » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:25 pm

I'm wondering why there haven't been more current and ex. 'EC' teachers telling us a bit more about this company.

From my understanding, they had a number of schools in Hokkaido and obviously employed people there.

We only have a guy from a number of years ago calling the place a bit of a 'looney' bin when describing the training and not much else.

Is there any more up-to-date information on this company? Why aren't the current and ex. employees talking?

User avatar
deadbunny
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:26 am

Unread post by deadbunny » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:33 pm

Lucio Argento wrote:I'm wondering why there haven't been more current and ex. 'EC' teachers telling us a bit more about this company.

From my understanding, they had a number of schools in Hokkaido and obviously employed people there.

We only have a guy from a number of years ago calling the place a bit of a 'looney' bin when describing the training and not much else.

Is there any more up-to-date information on this company? Why aren't the current and ex. employees talking?
It's a matter of scale. I know exactly *1* ex-EC teacher and eikaiwa is a distant memory to him. I know 40+ Nova teachers.

Speaking of which, what happened to the hokkaido Nova folks? We had lots of kyuushu and okinawa folks, but no hokkaido folks(that I noticed).

1874
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 pm

Unread post by 1874 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:28 pm

I'm beginning to get a feeling that G.com are actually quite a professionally run company from an M & A point of view.

They were planning to open 30 schools by the end of the month but it looks like it will be over 40. I expect them to have over 200 quicker than they planned also. Much as I hope I'm wrong I suspect the owner and his top managers ain't fools.

It will be a more streamlined and efficient company with both the students and teachers suffering for it.

User avatar
deadbunny
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:26 am

Unread post by deadbunny » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:39 pm

1874 wrote:I'm beginning to get a feeling that G.com are actually quite a professionally run company from an M & A point of view.

They were planning to open 30 schools by the end of the month but it looks like it will be over 40. I expect them to have over 200 quicker than they planned also. Much as I hope I'm wrong I suspect the owner and his top managers ain't fools.

It will be a more streamlined and efficient company with both the students and teachers suffering for it.
FWIW other posters have mentioned that they specialize in turning around failed companies.

Streamlined and efficient isn't bad by necessity. IMO the worst part of working for Nova was the incompetence of the branch staff/BMs/AAMs if G-spot actually emphasizes accountability it might end up a better place to work. Although there's certainly not that many reasons to be hopeful.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:09 am

Unread post by Level3 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:54 pm

Mogura wrote:
PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
Level3 wrote:No, wait, THE worst possible outcome is that Nova was stealing your tax deductions all along, just like the rent money, and you will have huge tax bill come March 2008 anyway, while the city starts beating down your door to pay up 2 years of kenko hoken and pension back payments. Could be up to 1,000,000 yen for some.
You would not be held liable for any tax or pension obligations in the event that Nova deducted the money but failed to pay the government. This sort of thing has happened in Japan before.
I didn't work for Nova, but years ago I did work for a school that did just that... they deducted inhabitant tax from my salary, but failed to pay it to the local tax office. I went to the tax office with my documents, pay slips, etc. and I still wound up being liable for the unpaid tax...
Get the feeling that maybe this is just like everything else, it depends on what the civil servant at the desk that day thinks the law is, rather than what the law actually is. But I'm just speculating, I really don't know.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

User avatar
ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:18 pm
Location: Hermes Ginza Flagship Store

Unread post by ex_sensei » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:26 pm

1874 wrote:I'm beginning to get a feeling that G.com are actually quite a professionally run company from an M & A point of view.

They were planning to open 30 schools by the end of the month but it looks like it will be over 40. I expect them to have over 200 quicker than they planned also. Much as I hope I'm wrong I suspect the owner and his top managers ain't fools.

It will be a more streamlined and efficient company with both the students and teachers suffering for it.
You obviously know NOTHING about what is going on behind the scenes.
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests