Supernova: After the flameout

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Franksandbeans
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Franksandbeans » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Piss off bob.
She loves me, she loves me not. She loves me, she loves me not. She lo...

bostongatewayfpm
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by bostongatewayfpm » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:10 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
whatever wrote:In G-Com's defense...

Another consideration is that this is a Japanese company. They seem to be treating the foreign workforce the same as the Japanese workforce but they are also on a steep learning curve.
There may be a steep learning curve, but G-com is most definitely not treating everyone the same. If they were, you'd have already signed the existing G-com contracts and now be regular permanent employees with benefits.
whatever wrote:As much as people seem to look down their noses at eikaiwa, it is the type of work people don't have to sell their souls to do which makes it a great job but not a career. Careers require soul-selling and self-sacrifice.
I think you've got it backwards -- it's working as a dancing bear who masquerades as a teacher in a fake school whose only goal is to defraud as many customers as possible; relying on a series of one-year contracts; allowing yourself to be subjected to secret, unsubstantiated allegations come time for contract renewal; allowing your employer to dictate what you can and can't do during your off-hours; having your efforts go completely unnoticed because you are viewed as nothing more than a replaceable cog -- these are things that require soul-selling.

If you worked at Nova and tried to do a good job, you were like Sisyphus rolling the same boulder up the same hill every day -- if that's not soul-destroying, I don't know what is.

What I heard was the contract hasn't been offered because what G Com. wanted to use was just a direct translation of the contract they use for their current employees. VERY badly worded and general. No real specifics. I've signed those types of contracts in the past with small companies... the idea being I could always reach an agreement if there was trouble because I worked side by side with the president or other high level people. That's not going to fly with this situation... thousands of employees and a union in the wing. I'm sure they will be taken to court soon enough, and the contract better hold its water at that time. I don't think the EC people thought about all of that (among the hundreds of other things they haven't thought about).

The big issue is two different companies are now having to merge their practices and cultures. It's like Uncle Bob's Burger Mart taking over Mc Donalds. When Daimler took over Chrysler, there was a lot of pain. In the end Daimler had to pay another company to take Chrysler off their hands. They lost tens of billions of dollars.

Nova had so many rules and procedures that the EC has no clue about. What the managers at EC care about right now is opening new schools and getting the students in. They probably figured the EC contract could last them 6 months and then roll out a new contract. The Nova people probably said no way.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:17 pm

bob wrote:
allblacks wrote:
bob wrote: :) Can you put some meat on the bone and say what hours and conditons EC/Gcom/Nova are offering. EG:

1. National Holidays?
2. Health Insurance?
3. Time between lessons? Paid or unpaid?
4. Sick pay?
5. Hours of work?
6. Bonuses?
7. Christmas/New year holidays?
8. Fining system?
9. Training periods?
10. Contracts?
11. Material other than Diplocrap?
12. Same booking system as before for students?
13. Usagi trinkets and goods?
14. Staff lying through their collective teeth to get a sale?
Bob

1. Can you go back a few pages and read for yourself?
2. Can you go look at other websites and answer these for yourself?
3. Can you stop posting rehashed shit?
4. Why are you so slow?
:oops: Sorry to be so slow allbollocks, but I can't find a message which answers the above. If you wouldn't mind, could you answer. In particular, seeing as a number of people have stared working for EC/Gcom/Nova, I would like to know about the contracts and the points I mentioned above. Cheers.
Blob

Go look it up for yourself.

Chairs

ABs

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:21 pm

whatever wrote:In G-Com's defense...

Another consideration is that this is a Japanese company. They seem to be treating the foreign workforce the same as the Japanese workforce but they are also on a steep learning curve.
There may be a steep learning curve, but G-com is most definitely not treating everyone the same. If they were, you'd have already signed the existing G-com contracts and now be regular permanent employees with benefits.
Agreed. I'm not denying their incompetence but they do have to draft up a new bilingual contract and they are not bilingual.
whatever wrote:As much as people seem to look down their noses at eikaiwa, it is the type of work people don't have to sell their souls to do which makes it a great job but not a career. Careers require soul-selling and self-sacrifice.
I think you've got it backwards -- it's working as a dancing bear who masquerades as a teacher in a fake school whose only goal is to defraud as many customers as possible; relying on a series of one-year contracts; allowing yourself to be subjected to secret, unsubstantiated allegations come time for contract renewal; allowing your employer to dictate what you can and can't do during your off-hours; having your efforts go completely unnoticed because you are viewed as nothing more than a replaceable cog -- these are things that require soul-selling.

If you worked at Nova and tried to do a good job, you were like Sisyphus rolling the same boulder up the same hill every day -- if that's not soul-destroying, I don't know what is.
Actually, Nova never told me what to do, I never had a problem with the contracts, always got salary increases and pretty much kept to myself during off-hours and made friends outside of eikaiwa (I hate talking shop too much). I had a minor run-in with an AAM and then we pretty much ignored each other (I think I intimidated her). I was never looking for Nova's approval nor did I play any games. I focused on the students and that was where the reward was ~for me~. For anyone who desires approval and recognition from superiors, eikaiwa is definitely not the place to be - there are better jobs - but I'm not. I've done the whole corporate thing and it doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong. I know some people value that and that is great. But I don't. Right now, eikaiwa works for me but I do suspect I will be making some changes in 2008.

Nova was never my employer except in legal terms. I was really working for the students. And if I didn't like them... grammar lessons! I enjoyed those because then I felt like I was "teaching" and they were "forced" into learning rather than me being "entertainment". :wink:

But you are right, Panic. Some people do prefer it the opposite way.

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 pm

bob wrote: :) Can you put some meat on the bone and say what hours and conditons EC/Gcom/Nova are offering. EG:

1. National Holidays?
2. Health Insurance?
4. Sick pay?
5. Hours of work?
6. Bonuses?
8. Fining system?
9. Training periods?
10. Contracts?
These are ALL good questions, bob. I don't have the answers. But I've been contacted and am not sure about returning at this point. As for #11, I rarely taught that book - if ever. I always taught to the students and generally made up my own lessons based on the warm-up and topics of interest (and need) of the students. :wink:

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:29 pm

bostongatewayfpm wrote:
PanicInducingGaijin wrote: There may be a steep learning curve, but G-com is most definitely not treating everyone the same. If they were, you'd have already signed the existing G-com contracts and now be regular permanent employees with benefits.
What I heard was the contract hasn't been offered because what G Com. wanted to use was just a direct translation of the contract they use for their current employees.
Maybe you mean their current foreign employees? I was differentiating between Japanese and foreign employees, as I find it difficult to believe that an eikaiwa chain would treat everyone the same by offering permanent employment with benefits to foreign teachers.
Not in eikaiwa, Panic. :wink: And sometimes not in other industries as well depending on the employer.

I agree, Boston. The contract has to be very solid and after the whole Nova-thing it needs to be consistent with what they have already promised. It will be very interesting to learn about all the details and see if they are indeed consistent.

catsfolly
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

I'll try this

Unread post by catsfolly » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:47 pm

bob wrote:
Can you put some meat on the bone and say what hours and conditons EC/Gcom/Nova are offering. EG:
1. National Holidays?
At the old Nova, my experience was when Japanese people had a day off, many of them thought "what a great day to take those English lessons I signed up for." Nova did a lot of business on those days. If you want National holidays off, be an ALT.
2. Health Insurance?
According to people who have gone in to work, you are on your own for now. Maybe this will change when we have contracts.
This only matters when we know about the health insurance details.
4. Sick pay?
Good question.
5. Hours of work?
So far it's 1pm - 9pm weekdays. Weekends are like old Nova?
6. Bonuses?
G-Comm is offering students lessons at 75% off. Do you think they have money for bonuses?
People have asked, but there's no answer yet. Read the other posts.
8. Fining system?
For what, coming in late?
9. Training periods?
We are all trained to teach Nova lessons.
10. Contracts?
Not yet available. Read the other posts.
The students are coming back for Nova lessons. I imagine that G-Comm will at some point try to offer the students something "better" that they can't buy with their old Nova points, in order to get more money from them.
Who cares?
Who cares? Are you a collector?
Who knows? The price list, which before was confidential, is now posted on the website - that's a good sign at least.

edited for typos

Serpico
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Serpico » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:19 pm

I personally am curious whether G-Comm will continue to use the "Nova usagi" as part of its promotions in the future.

Keeping in mind that all G-Comm bought was the Nova brand and the database of all its students (as far as I see, Nova has no tangible assets, apart from Ginganet, which they didn't even own). The schools and buildings, even the furniture, were rented out.

Considering the amount of money Nova spent in the past promoting the Nova usagi, the eventual success it brought (it's easy to forget that it was very popular), and the brand awareness it still has, it's interesting to see if G-Comm will use it.

However, the usagi mascot has also become the symbol of everything that went wrong with Nova.

It will be interesting if G-Comm will revive the usagi for its marketing campaigns. It's interesting from a purely marketing perspective.

Any ideas?

DentShop
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by DentShop » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:36 pm

If I were G-Comm, I would use the Usagi.

The Usagi would be good for getting kids students back, their parent(s) didnt lose too much money from all of this so they will go back to what they recognise.

And astonishingly, some students I have met dont blame Nova for losing their money, they blame themselves. So many of them will be running back to their security blanket of Nova and its rabbit to apologise. These are the kinds of students that paid Novas way.

Students really, really want things to go back to how they were before. The same rabbit, same dumb-ass staff, same hung-over bad tie wearing teachers as before.

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Confused. If the rights to the Usagi weren't included in the 'package', and G.Comm went ahead and used it anyway - who might sue them?

S-B
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by S-B » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:15 pm

DentShop wrote:And astonishingly, some students I have met dont blame Nova for losing their money, they blame themselves. So many of them will be running back to their security blanket of Nova and its rabbit to apologise. These are the kinds of students that paid Novas way.
I know some of these too, mainly voice students who want to go back. I think many of them just miss a place to go during the day, or want somebody to argue with over who has the most superior English, the native or the dictionary.
fart-ass wrote:To say instructors who reacted as I did weighed down the company is like saying the passengers on the Titanic who made it to the rescue boats had weighed down the ship as it sank.
I agree with you, the problem is that because it sounds like they've got the old FP staff doing the hiring, people who toppatsu'd a lot will probably be lower on the list. It sucks, especially as many did that to try and find other jobs and/or to get private students and try and live. It's unlikely FP will see it that way though. They just want to filter down as many people as possible.

I really hope they get rid of the top foreign management in the end. I know they probably kept them on at the moment so they could speed up the opening. I just hope it's only short-term. We'll see.

I kind of understand the brand new people having to go back, but hopefully they'll keep looking for other jobs when they do.

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:24 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote: If the rights to the Usagi were not included in the deal, I assume they would be auctioned off with Nova's other property (whatever that is) when the company is finally liquidated, with the proceedings being parcelled out to creditors.
Ahh, got it. Thanks PIG.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:36 pm

From a poster on Facebook:

at the meeting they offered the
jobs to all multimedia instructors...now here is two options

option A

$500 Advance and you start work tomorrow..but all you do is just move
boxes and then probably teach after jan 10th..and you get your first
paycheque on the 5th of every month..so first paycheque is dec 5th then
jan 5th. but the $500 advance you have to give back.

option B

they GIVE you $1500...but you have to wait until Jan 10th to start
work. so basically you get your first paycheque on feb 5th.but you
dont payback the 1500...so from now to jan 10th you have a free month
to do whatever. they are just doing this because they dont need an
influx of teachers until the new year. so they are offering 1500 just
so that the teachers will stay put. but this option you are STILL A
NOVA EMPLOYEE so you qaulify for unpaid wages which is 60% of time from
oct 26-now..and 80% for the time sept 15-oct26. this stipulation is
only until NOVA files for bankruptcy. also it takes the company $2000
to recruit a new instructor, thats why they are offering 1500..

the new company is scrapping the old system. they are revising
schedules and basically it is all professional professional
professional.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 pm

Well, sounds like the MM centre is moving if that many boxes need shifting. Where to I wonder? Somewhere a lot cheaper in Osaka or they probably would have given notice. No point paying retainers for people who don't want to move.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Wage Slave wrote:Well, sounds like the MM centre is moving if that many boxes need shifting. Where to I wonder? Somewhere a lot cheaper in Osaka or they probably would have given notice. No point paying retainers for people who don't want to move.
They're relocating (and cleaning out - a lot of staff just up and left) offices in Osaka. MM is staying where it is.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:13 pm

inflames wrote:
Wage Slave wrote:Well, sounds like the MM centre is moving if that many boxes need shifting. Where to I wonder? Somewhere a lot cheaper in Osaka or they probably would have given notice. No point paying retainers for people who don't want to move.
They're relocating (and cleaning out - a lot of staff just up and left) offices in Osaka. MM is staying where it is.
Ah corrected - Thank You.

So the MM centre is staying at Namba. I wonder what the logic behind that is? Perhaps Kintetsu (are they the owners?) are giving them a deal for some reason.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Wage Slave wrote:
inflames wrote:
Ah corrected - Thank You.

So the MM centre is staying at Namba. I wonder what the logic behind that is? Perhaps Kintetsu (are they the owners?) are giving them a deal for some reason.
I think they wanted to consolidate offices in one building, which they should be able to do there. NOVA had a ton of space in the building, a lot of which was storage or poorly used (or Sahashi's office).

Rokerite
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Rokerite » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:48 pm

My AAM just called. Fuji branch is still set to open tomorow. Couldnt get any new information out of him about contracts or anything.

Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:34 pm

NEW INFORMATION ON THE NOVA WEBSITE

VERY IMPORTANT

Please read it.

And please don't hit me AllBlacks.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:43 pm

Nova trustees:
Regarding the procedure for termination of employment
November 26, 2007

To : Employees of Nova Corporation

Bankrupt company Nova Corporation
Trustee in bankruptcy Lawyer Toshiaki Higashibata
Trustee in bankruptcy Lawyer Noriaki Takahashi 1. Regarding the notice of dismissal
Following Nova Corporation receiving a decision for the commencement of bankruptcy proceedings on November 26th 2007 at the Osaka District Court, we are giving notice of termination of employment as of November 30th to those who have not yet resigned from the company.

As already notified through the information seminars that were held on November 9th and 10th, and as later notified through the website, in principle those employees of Nova Corporation who wish to be employed by the sponsor, G.communication Co., Ltd. (employment will actually be with the group company G.education Co., Ltd.) are employed after attending an interview. For those who would like employment with G.education but have not yet applied, please apply to G.education promptly.

Contact information concerning employment:
【Japanese nationals】Tokyo Jinji TEL 03-6686-6565 / Osaka Jinji TEL 06-7688-0100
【Foreign nationals】GEDU Somu Jinji Tokyo・Osaka Gaiji staff
Tokyo: TEL 03-6688-4441 / Osaka TEL 06-7688-0404
Due to the circumstances of processing the paperwork, it is possible that a dismissal notice may be sent to those who have already submitted a resignation notice and resigned from Nova Corporation. In this case the resignation that has already been submitted will be valid.
Also, if there are any changes to your address or contact information, please notify the following contact point to ensure that procedures go smoothly in future.

Contact point to notify of change of address and/or contact information:
Attention to Jinji Kanri, the Office of the Trustees in Bankruptcy, Bankrupt Company Nova Corporation, Nishi Tenma Asahi Bldg 2nd Floor, 10-14 Nishi Tenma 1-chome, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi Fax: 06-6360-6766
2. Regarding employment insurance
For those unable to find new employment right away and who are seeking employment, unemployment benefits will be paid from the Employment Insurance scheme, according to the period of enrolment.

Please go to the public job center (Hello Work) with jurisdiction for your home address and go through the necessary procedures, with a 'Rishokuhyo' (letter of release) sent by Nova and other necessary documents listed on the back of the 'Rishokuhyo'.

The location of the Hello Work office with jurisdiction for your address can be found on the website of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare(http://www.mhlw.go.jp/kyujin/hwmap.html).

The 'Rishokuhyo' of those who have resigned will be sent as promptly as possible, with priority being given to those who have not secured new employment.

3. Information regarding those enrolled in Shakaihoken (social insurance); Kenko Hoken (health insurance) and Kosei Nenkin Hoken (employeeユs pension insurance)
With the expiration of the health insurance status (the day following termination of employment) Nova's health insurance card cannot be used. Please return your health insurance card (including the cards for any dependent family members) to Nova at the end of your employment.(Return address: Jinji Kanri, the Office of the Trustees in Bankruptcy, Bankrupt Company Nova Corporation, Nishi Tenma Asahi Bldg 2nd Floor, 10-14 Nishi Tenma 1-chome, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi).

(1) For those who have already obtained new employment
Those who have already obtained new employment enrol in Kenko Hoken and Kosei Nenkin Hoken at the new employer to receive the set benefits.

(2) For those who have not obtained new employment
Those who have not obtained new employment should either go to the social insurance office with jurisdiction for your home address and complete the procedures for 'Nin-i Keizoku' 'voluntary continuation' (please note that this procedure should be done within 20 days of the resignation) or join ヤKokumin Kenko Hokenユ (National Health Insurance) by going to the city/ward office with jurisdiction for your home address and following the procedures.

If you follow the procedures to enrol in Kenko Hoken 'Nin-i Keizoku', the premium that you have to pay will be about twice the current amount (there is an upper limit, the maximum premium amount for Kenko Hoken is 22,960 yen) however the premiums for 'Kokumin Kenko Hoken' differ between different cities/wards/etc so please contact the administrative office directly.

If you follow the procedures for 'Nin-i Keizoku', you will be able to receive almost the same benefits as when you were employed, including those for your dependent family members. You can find the location of the city/ward office with jurisdiction for your home address at the following website: (http://www.sia.go.jp/sodan/madoguchi/kankatsu/index.htm)

Also, if a family member is enrolled in Kenko Hoken (health insurance), you can be a dependent of the family member. However, there are certain conditions for this; it is, for example, not possible to enroll during the period the person is receiving a benefit such as the unemployment insurance benefit. Please contact your nearest social insurance office for details.

Those who are not able to enrol in Kosei Nenkin enrol in 'Kokumin Nenkin' Please go through the procedures at the city/ward office for your address.

4. Regarding Replacement Payment
Regarding the unpaid wages and retirement payment up to the decision on the commencement of bankruptcy proceedings, 80% of that will be reimbursed by the Independent Administrative Corporation, Japan Labour Health and Welfare Organization (however, there is a maximum limit according to age

For those who were ordered to stay at home from October 26 onward, 80% of the absence allowance ( which is 60% of the 'average wage' stipulated in law), and not the full wage during the period, will be reimbursed by the Independent Administrative Corporation - the Japan Labour Health and Welfare Organization. Neither bonus nor dismissal notice allowance are subject to the replacement payment. Although we have discussed this with the Organization in order to have as wide a range of replacement payments covered as possible, the above conclusion was reached. We appreciate your understanding of this.

There is an explanation of the system on the organization's website (http://www.rofuku.go.jp) for your reference.

We are currently discussing the procedures and the level of the coverage with the organization so that the replacement payments can be processed as promptly and accurately as possible, however it is expected to take some time to prepare and create the necessary documents. We will provide further information through the home page on the details of the procedures when they are confirmed.

5.Job Placement Service at Employment Security Offices (Hello-Work) with Interpreters
Employment Security Offices (Hello-Work) with interpreters are located as designated in the enclosed handout, "Questionnaire & handout for foreign instructors who want to find jobs other than NOVA"

Instructors who need job counseling, job placement, etc. with interpreters are advised to come to those offices, according to the guidance in the handout.

AND Q/A

Regarding the Employment Contract
Q1. I have been waiting at home, how will my employment contract be
affected by the commencement of bankruptcy procedures?
A. All employees have been asked to wait at home for some time. With the
commencement of bankruptcy procedures on November 26th 2007 all of the
company’s business activities will cease and the company will enter into
liquidation under the supervision of the court. For this reason all
employees contracts are terminated and the trustees in bankruptcy have
sent a notice terminating employment as of November 30th 2007 to all
employees who have not yet resigned.
Q2. I have already resigned but I still received a termination notice.
A. Due to the circumstances of the processing of resignation notices
there are cases where a dismissal notice was sent to employees who had
already submitted a resignation and resigned from Nova corporation. In
such cases the resignation already submitted takes precedence. We are
very sorry that cases such as this have occurred, however due to the
nature of the situation with a large number of employees across the
country it is unavoidable, due to administrative reasons, and we ask for
your understanding.
Q3. I wish to apply for re-employment with the sponsor, how will I be
re-employed?
A. As explained previously, in principle for NOVA employees wishing to
be re-employed interviews with G.communication (actual employment will
be offered by the group company G.education) will be arranged gradually
and employment will commence following the interview. Employees who wish
to be employed by G.education but have not yet applied should apply as
soon as possible.
【Japanese nationals】Tokyo Jinji TEL 03-6686-6565 / Osaka Jinji TEL 06-
7688-0100
Q4. Can employees who submitted resignations and resigned from NOVA
before the information session on November 10th be employed by
G.education if they apply?
A. For staff who apply it is possible to attend an interview with
G.education. Following this selection process G.education will make
decisions regarding employment.
Q5. I have already filled out the forms and indicated my request to be
employed by G.education, am I now an employee of G.education?
A. We are sorry, but for actual employment with G.education to begin it
is necessary to go through an interview process. Employment is not
considered to have begun formally based only on requesting employment on
the forms. However, anyone seeking employment with G.education needs to
apply as soon as possible and then attend an interview.
7688-0100
Q6. I live in NOVA accommodation, can I continue to live in this
accommodation?
A. Basically it is our understanding that for those employed by
G.education it will be possible to continue to live in the apartment.
However, following re-employment and depending on branch locations, etc.
it may be necessary to move in some cases. Please inquire to the company
directly if you have any questions. Regarding employees who are not reemployed
by G.education we are sorry but we are asking you to vacate the
apartment as quickly as possible.
Q7. What should I do if my address or contact details change?
A. If your address or contact details change, in order for procedures to
go smoothly in the future, please report the change to the following
address:
Contact information for reporting changes of address and/or contact
details:
Attention to Jinji Kanri, the Office of the Trustees in Bankruptcy,
Bankrupt Company Nova Corporation, Nishi Tenma Asahi Bldg 2nd Floor,
Nishi Tenma 1-chome10-14, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi.
Fax: 06-6360-6766
Q8. What are the benefits under the ‘employment insurance scheme’?
A. Unemployment benefits are benefits paid, according to the period of
enrolment, to employees leaving their employment due to bankruptcy, etc.
and who are seeking new employment but not able to find new employment
right away. Those who have been re-employed or who are unable to work
due to injury or illness are not considered as unemployed and are not
able to receive unemployment benefits. For more details please go to the
homepage of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare:
http://www.hellowork.go.jp/html/info_1_h3.html
Q9. Where do I go to receive unemployment benefits?
A. Please go to the public employment security office (Hello Work) with
jurisdiction for your address, bringing the ‘Rishokuhyo’ (release form)
sent by NOVA. For the addresses and jurisdictions of the public
employment security offices please go to the homepage of the Ministry of
Health, Labour and Welfare: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/kyujin/hwmap.html
Q10. What documents will I need to receive unemployment benefits?
A. You need the following documents:
<Documents>
‘Koyohokenhihokensha rishokuhyo’ (separation notice for persons insured
in employment insurance) 1 and 2.
<Documents>
1. ‘Koyohokenhihokenshasho’ (certificate of the insured of enrolment in
employment insurance, only for those who have this certificate).
2. Driver’s license or ‘juminkihondaichokado’ (basic residents’
registration card) with a photograph attached.
For persons who do not have #2, prepare two of the following
documents:
i. Passport
ii. ‘Juminhyo’ (certificate of residence)
(‘juminhyokisaijikoshomeisho’ . certification of items described in
certificate of residence or ‘inkanshomeisho’ . personal seal
registration certificate)
iii. ‘Kokuminkenkohokenhihokenshasho’ (national health insurance
card) (‘kenkohokenhihokenshasho’ .health insurance card).
3. Two recent photographs (height: 3cm, width: 2cm, photographs of the
upper half of the body taken from the front)
4. ‘Futsuyokin tsucho’ (bankbook for a regular savings account) in the
person’s name.
*Document other than an internet banking or foreign banking
institution.
Q11. At the information seminar for staff on November 10th it was
announced that the ‘rishokuhyo’ (release form) would be prepared and
sent to all employees, what does ‘all employees’ mean?
A. It means all employees (both employees requesting employment with
G.education and employees not requesting employment). However, in
sending the ‘rishokyhyo’ priority is given to staff who have not yet
decided on a new place of employment. Also, part-time (arubaito)
employees who are enrolled in employment insurance are included as well.
Q12. When will I receive the ‘rishokuhyo’ (release form)?
A. We are very sorry to keep employees waiting, however the number of
employees is very large, and delays in processing are unavoidable. We
are doing all we can to send ‘rishokuhyo’ (release forms) as quickly as
possible, however we have to ask you to wait a little longer. In the
meantime, considering the situation with receiving unemployment benefits,
priority is given to staff who have not yet decided on a new place of
employment when sending the ‘rishokuhyo’. We ask for your understanding
on this point.
Regarding shakaihoken (social insurance); kenkohoken (health
insurance) and ‘koseinenkinhoken’ (pension insurance)
Q13. Can I continue to use my NOVA health insurance?
A. The NOVA health insurance can not be used from December 1st 2007.
Please return your health insurance cards (including those of family
members) to NOVA at the end of employment.
Address for returning the cards
Attention to Jinji Kanri, the Office of the Trustees in Bankruptcy,
Bankrupt Company Nova Corporation, Nishi Tenma Asahi Bldg 2nd Floor,
Nishi Tenma 1-chome10-14, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi.
Q14. What should I do regarding ‘shakaihoken’ social insurance
procedures following the termination of employment?
(1) For those who have already obtained new employment
Those who have already obtained new employment enrol in Kenko Hoken
and Kosei Nenkin Hoken at the new employer to receive the set benefits.
(2) For those who have not obtained new employment
Those who have not obtained new employment should either go to the
social insurance office with jurisdiction for your home address and
complete the procedures for ‘Nin-i Keizoku’ ‘voluntary continuation’
(please note that this procedure should be done within 20 days of the
resignation) or join ‘Kokumin Kenko Hoken’ (National Health Insurance)
by going to the city/ward office with jurisdiction for your home
address and following the procedures.
If you follow the procedures to enrol in Kenko Hoken ‘Nin-i Keizoku’,
the premium that you have to pay will be about twice the current
amount (there is an upper limit, the maximum premium amount for Kenko
Hoken is 22,960 yen) however the premiums for ‘Kokumin Kenko Hoken’
differ between different cities/wards/etc so please contact the
administrative office directly.
If you follow the procedures for ‘Nin-i Keizoku’, you will be able to
receive almost the same benefits as when you were employed, including
those for your dependent family members. You can find the location of
the city/ward office with jurisdiction for your home address at the
following website:
(http://www.sia.go.jp/sodan/madoguchi/kankatsu/index.htm)
Also, if a family member is enrolled in Kenko Hoken (health insurance),
you can be a dependent of the family member. However, there are
certain conditions for this; it is, for example, not possible to
enroll during the period the person is receiving a benefit such as the
unemployment insurance benefit. Please contact your nearest social
insurance office for details.
Those who are not able to enrol in Kosei Nenkin enrol in ‘Kokumin
Nenkin’ Please go through the procedures at the city/ward office for
your address.
Regarding the Replacement Payment
Q15. I am having difficulties due to the non-payment of salaries, can’t
something be done? What is the ‘replacement payment’?
A. The replacement payment system is a system whereby the Independent
Administrative Corporation Japan Labour, Health and Welfare Organization
pays, instead of the employer, a certain part of the unpaid wages to the
employees who left the company with unpaid wages due to the bankruptcy
of the company. The system is explained on the organization’s homepage,
so please go to http://www/rofuku.go.jp/ for information.
Q16. I have heard that employees requesting employment with G.education
must resign from NOVA. Are employees who resigned from the company
previously also covered by the Japan Labour, Health and Welfare
Organization’s replacement payment system?
A. All employees who resigned on or after April 27th 2007 are covered.
Q17. Are part-time (arubaito) employees also covered by the replacement
payment system?
A. Part-time (arubaito) employees are also covered in the same way as
regular employees. However please note that no replacement payment will
be made for wages under 20,000 yen.
Q18. What will the amount repaid be?
A. Basically, it will be 80% of unpaid wages and severance pay (if
applicable). However there is a limit depending on age, and bonuses and
payment in lieu of notice are not covered. For employees who have been
waiting at home since October 26th the full salary is not covered for
this period. Instead 80% of the leave allowance (legally defined as 60%
of the ‘average wage’) is paid.
Q19. I have been waiting at home since October 26th, will my wages for
the period during which I have been waiting at home be paid?
A. For employees who were instructed to wait at home from October 26th,
then for this period up to the commencement of bankruptcy proceedings .
November 26th 2007 . it is not the full salary but 80% of the leave
allowance (legally defined as 60% of the ‘average wage’) that will be
paid by the Japan Labour, Health and Welfare Organization. However
bonuses and payment in lieu of notice will not be covered. Up to now
NOVA have been in discussions with the organization regarding having as
broad a range of payments as possible, however the organization has made
the decision explained above, and we ask for your understanding.
Q20. How can I apply for the replacement payment?
A. It is necessary for each employee to apply in person to the Japan
Labour, Health and Welfare Organization, completing the necessary
documents and with a certificate, etc. from the trustees in bankruptcy
attached. Regarding the details of the documents and instructions for
how to fill them out, this will be announced on the homepage as details
are confirmed.
Q21. When will the replacement wages be paid?
A. We are currently in discussions with the Japan Labour, Health and
Welfare Organization regarding procedures for completing the process as
quickly and accurately as possible. However, preparing the necessary
documents will take some time. This is unavoidable due to the large
number of employees involved and so we ask for your understanding on
this matter. Also, after applications for replacement payments have been
accepted it will take some time for the organization to actually
complete payment. We ask for your understanding on this point.

deadbunny
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by deadbunny » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Nova trustees via allblacks wrote: Regarding the Employment Contract
Q1. I have been waiting at home, how will my employment contract be
affected by the commencement of bankruptcy procedures?
A. All employees have been asked to wait at home for some time. With the
commencement of bankruptcy procedures on November 26th 2007 all of the
company’s business activities will cease and the company will enter into
liquidation under the supervision of the court. For this reason all
employees contracts are terminated and the trustees in bankruptcy have
sent a notice terminating employment as of November 30th 2007 to all
employees who have not yet resigned.
That's not too bad at all. Technically without a contract from G-spot that means you can collect immediately doesn't it? It also means that people will get as much of their left over pay as well.

Good on the trustees.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:32 pm

Nova trustees: wrote:Regarding the procedure for termination of employment
November 26, 2007

Q/A

re-employed?
soon as possible.
7688-0100

7688-0100
So, basically the promise to hire all Nova employees who have not yet found work was, as we all guessed, a steaming pile of :poo: .
Well, good luck to all of you still out there in the lurch.
Though, I would eho what many others have already said:
Find a job outside of this fuck-up!!!!!!!
:luck:
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

Turgis
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Turgis » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:05 pm

... So am I right in thinking they're laying off the rest of us that didn't quit, or sign up with GCom, as of today (26th) or Nov 30th ? ... and now we're entitled to that severance pay too ??
Last edited by Turgis on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeynuts
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Location: Sitting comfortably,watching the evil empire's demise and resurrection.

Unread post by Monkeynuts » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:08 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote: So, basically the promise to hire all Nova employees who have not yet found work was, as we all guessed, a steaming pile of :poo: .
Exactly. Thank you very much trustees for continuing to lie to us all. First Nova lied,then the trustees and finally G-com. The trustees made out they were there to look out for teachers and staff yet they have allowed G-com to fuck us all about. Personally I think those lawyers simply didn't have the nous to do the job. They obviously didn't know anything about the eikaiwa industry and had no experience of working with non-Japanese. Let's hope they don't fuck up the paperwork now Nova's finally gone bankrupt.
If staffs smile,students will smile,teachers will smile,and visitors will smile. And then we will always achieve our targets!!

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:50 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:
Nova trustees: wrote:Regarding the procedure for termination of employment
November 26, 2007

Q/A

re-employed?
soon as possible.
7688-0100

7688-0100
So, basically the promise to hire all Nova employees who have not yet found work was, as we all guessed, a steaming pile of :poo: .
Well, good luck to all of you still out there in the lurch.
Though, I would eho what many others have already said:
Find a job outside of this fuck-up!!!!!!!
:luck:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but does everyone have to have an interview to get their old job back?

What about those who have already started without being interviewed?

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:18 pm

Reagrding the health insurance, they're telling the people who haven't found work (the majority) to either sign up for kenko hoken or nin'i keizoku.

nini keizoku means "optional extension" and I'm pretty darned sure that it can only be used by people who were ALREADY getting shakai hoken from Nova (a few were), and is an option to keep your shakai hoken for up to 2 years if you lose your job (sometimes it's cheaper than kenko hoken that way)

Now, if they're offering optional extension to EVERYONE, that MIGHT include being able to dodge any back payment penalties (up to 2 years worth of payments, which can reach up to 500,000 yen) that are popping up for people who are enrolling into kenko hoken. Sounds crazy to me, but it's possible they worked something out to pretend everyone is eligible, just as they did 2 years ago during the big shakai-hoken fiasco. Those who chose to join it at that point didn't have to pay any back payments, as far as I know (I didn't have to pay back payments when I joined through my Big Three eikaiwa.)

But I have a suspicion that these trustees either have no idea that you drones weren't all getting shakai hoken (as you should have been), or that I have no idea how nini keizoku could work for people who never had national health insurance. Probably a combination of both.

Defnitely get these facts locked down before you stroll into city hall looking for health insurance. Good question for the next meeting.

Shakai hoken is usually run out of a completely different office building, perhaps trying to get nini keizoku there is "safe", in that they either say "yes" or "no", and you have no commitments, and if they say "yes" but start asking for back payments, you can just lie and say "I'll go apply for kenko hoken instead, BYE!" and they'll leave you alone.

Probably a different story if you apply for kenko hoken at city hall. You can't really squirm out so easily once you apply, they know where you live, and it IS the law.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

Sparkle
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Sparkle » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:03 am

I went to an MM Center Information Session and NO ONE had to "interview" to get their jobs back. Yet. This could change.

Here is the information I gathered according to the sources available in addition to what was posted above:
- They are contacting everyone as soon as they can.
- Seminars started Sunday and will continue throughout the week.
- Two options: Option A and Option B

Option A is detailed above but a few points seem necessary in addition to that information.
1) The days are based on your previous Nova schedule.
2) The times are NOT set and you CAN'T choose to do shift swaps, get days off, etc. You have to work whenever they want.
3) You will NOT be working for Nova people. You will be working for the new company ONLY.
4) There is no guarantee you will remain in the MM Center. You might be sent elsewhere.
5) They don't know if there will be time off for New Year's.
6) All paid holidays you had are gone.
7) There is a one-hour lunch break during the day.
8) If you had a short shift you will keep that short shift on that particular day of the week.
9) There is NO contract now - they are working on it and there will be compromises
10) They are working on the ASSUMPTION (not fact) that salaries will be based on October but there is NO clarification as to what will be paid - the "base" salary or the full salary? Of course, how can this be clarified without a contract?

The Option A has a lot more gray area compared to Option B. It also was made very clear that there is NO guarantee regarding when the 50,000-yen advance or 150,000-yen "gift?" will be paid out. Interesting note here - bank information was only necessary for those who chose Option A. People who chose Option B didn't have to provide banking information since it was on file with Nova. They also had to hand in their tags and headsets. This means that they don't expect those people to all return - they are considering the "flight factor". G-Com has no legal responsibility to hire people but on the flip side people have no legal responsibility to work for them either.

Other points:
- The new schedules as of January 10th will be based on business needs so there may not be particular shifts available. They should have an idea about demand in mid to late December.
- This company demands more. One example mentioned was dress code - no more slippers are acceptable. Just business shoes (those who are doing the manual labor with Option A are told they can wear casual clothes).

Observations:
The "Nova management" was forthcoming with information. They were honest and seemed to genuinely want to help. It did seem to be a bit chaotic there overall.

MM Center people who chose Option B should also be eligible for unemployment after Nova's bankruptcy. If Nova does go bankrupt on November 30th, seperation notices should be received by December 10th and people should be able to get one unemployment payment before the "tentative" start date of January 10th, 2008.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:08 am

The cynic in me would think the interviews (if they are to be used) would be an opportunity to weed out the high earners, those in their late 30s and 40s who have been there a long time without a title but with a relatively large salary.
Unethical but ruthless and sensible from a business point of view.

mfgrape
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by mfgrape » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:17 am

This is kind of bothersome:

G. communication plans to employ less than half of the 1,760 who applied to work.

I was under the impression that they had intended to hire the 1,760 since it was only around 1/3 of the total number of people. But half of that? Hopefully the xenophobic/image-discrimination rumors aren't true.

On a semi-positive note...the nova webpage claims that we will get about 80% of our unpaid wages and the 60% of our salaries for November's stand-by period.

For easy math: (please tell me if this is wrong)

September 300,000 yen
October 300,000 yen
November 180,000 yen

Total: 780,000 yen

80% of that = 624,000 yen

It sucks that it will take a while, but if the unworked, but employed November 60% pay is true...then it will be nice to get slightly more than just 80% of my worked wages.

I'm sure it can be spun negatively in a thousand different ways. I am not the most optimistic beast on the planet and I don't like handouts. So, I loathe the fact that the government is paying my wages and not the company I worked for, but for the time being I am willing to take even the faintest silver lining.

Anyway...I wish luck to those who intend to join GCom and for those who have already made other plans/found other work/thrown in the towel.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:28 am

mfgrape wrote:This is kind of bothersome:

G. communication plans to employ less than half of the 1,760 who applied to work.

I was under the impression that they had intended to hire the 1,760 since it was only around 1/3 of the total number of people. But half of that? Hopefully the xenophobic/image-discrimination rumors aren't true.

On a semi-positive note...the nova webpage claims that we will get about 80% of our unpaid wages and the 60% of our salaries for November's stand-by period.

For easy math: (please tell me if this is wrong)

September 300,000 yen
October 300,000 yen
November 180,000 yen

Total: 780,000 yen

80% of that = 624,000 yen

It sucks that it will take a while, but if the unworked, but employed November 60% pay is true...then it will be nice to get slightly more than just 80% of my worked wages.

I'm sure it can be spun negatively in a thousand different ways. I am not the most optimistic beast on the planet and I don't like handouts. So, I loathe the fact that the government is paying my wages and not the company I worked for, but for the time being I am willing to take even the faintest silver lining.

Anyway...I wish luck to those who intend to join GCom and for those who have already made other plans/found other work/thrown in the towel.
Is it the base salary, total salary without deductions or salary after deductions?