Supernova: After the flameout

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
The_Worm

Unread post by The_Worm » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:37 pm

S-B wrote:It sounds to me more that G-Comm doesn't really know what it's let itself in for.

By the sounds of it (somebody tell me if this is true or not), the former FP staff may be doing all the rehiring, as GComm themselves don't really know how to approach this. If that's the case, then there's going to be people chopped for not being "loyal" etc. That wont be on the say of GComm, it'll be on the say of the old foreign staff.

I think GComm rushed into this without giving it much thought. It was a headline grabber, but now they have to deal with the reality.

This is going to be an open can of worms for a long time now.
I'd say that you're spot on .

This was posted over on gaijinpot.

Rejected By G-Com, anyone else?
I was a NOVA teacher, previously a JET for the maximum three years. I haven't heard of this happening (my situation) to anyone else, so i thought i'd put my experience out there for better or for worse.

Last Monday i was called to say i would not be hired by the new company. Main reasons cited were friction with a flatmate (mainly because we had to live in a one bedroom ex-managers apartment, and his nocturnal activities were causing problems) and 12 sick days in 1 year and 10 months. I'm pretty sure in the last week of hell, i handed a weeks worth of paid holidays request form, to a staff member and it wasn't processed(which obviously looks bad on a file). I don't remember taking that many and the year previous, only one sick day was taken. Just before this my area manger quit as did the two japanese managers. Obviously there are two sides(and more to this story, but lets just say management weren't very helpful during my time there) to a story, but i would just like to know if anyone else has been rejected (maybe for the better)for similar or petty excuses.

I do feel i was a victim of nicely planned cull. No i wasn't perfect, but i was a good teacher and still remain in contact with my students and Japanese managers. As for the foreign managers, well if you can't say something nice...........

Just wanted to put word out, to see if any other people are in the same boat. I'm soon to be homeless and am unemployed (offically, if and when NOVA goes bankrupt). I asked the guy who informed me that i wouldn't rehired, what do i do now, with which he replied, 1) Firstly "you're shocked?" mildly incredulously, 2) Then offered his sagely advice: "Get a job."

I called NOVA personnel about the apartment and said i had to get out ASAP.

Please hold off on the flames, but thoughtful insight (yes, maybe impossible)would be appreciated.

http://www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=45467

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:24 pm

The_Worm wrote:Rejected By G-Com, anyone else?
I was a NOVA teacher...Last Monday i was called to say i would not be hired by the new company. Main reasons cited were friction with a flatmate (mainly because we had to live in a one bedroom ex-managers apartment, and his nocturnal activities were causing problems) and 12 sick days in 1 year and 10 months...
As I mentioned in an earlier post (on page 115) that those who were called were the "dependable" instructors. Nobody believed me, but the proof is above. I was told that a list of deciding factors was given to AAMs to select the most "dependable" instructors for a call back to work. The list was not made by GCOM, but rather it was made by NOVA foreign managers.

I don't see this as being a bad thing from a business perspective: Why bring back those who weighed-down the company? It certainly isn't fair, but that's life!
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

Zola
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Zola » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:28 pm

its unethical on every level, and another sign that its the same old shit.

Serpico
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Serpico » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:30 pm

The_Worm wrote:
S-B wrote:It sounds to me more that G-Comm doesn't really know what it's let itself in for.

By the sounds of it (somebody tell me if this is true or not), the former FP staff may be doing all the rehiring, as GComm themselves don't really know how to approach this. If that's the case, then there's going to be people chopped for not being "loyal" etc. That wont be on the say of GComm, it'll be on the say of the old foreign staff.

I think GComm rushed into this without giving it much thought. It was a headline grabber, but now they have to deal with the reality.

This is going to be an open can of worms for a long time now.
I'd say that you're spot on .

This was posted over on gaijinpot.

Rejected By G-Com, anyone else?
I was a NOVA teacher, previously a JET for the maximum three years. I haven't heard of this happening (my situation) to anyone else, so i thought i'd put my experience out there for better or for worse.

- SNIP -

Please hold off on the flames, but thoughtful insight (yes, maybe impossible)would be appreciated.

Oh, dear. It doesn't look good.

A lot of people were toppatsuing chronically during the last few weeks before Nova closed it's doors.

If my assumption is correct, then the people who toppatsued during those final weeks might be in trouble, since those toppatsues were logged by FP and will probably be used as an excuse to reject applications for Gcom. :?

It's too bad, since I've known perfectly capable people who skipped worked in those last few weeks because they weren't paid - not because they were incompetant.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:38 pm

ex_sensei wrote:
The_Worm wrote:Rejected By G-Com, anyone else?
I was a NOVA teacher...Last Monday i was called to say i would not be hired by the new company. Main reasons cited were friction with a flatmate (mainly because we had to live in a one bedroom ex-managers apartment, and his nocturnal activities were causing problems) and 12 sick days in 1 year and 10 months...
As I mentioned in an earlier post (on page 115) that those who were called were the "dependable" instructors. Nobody believed me, but the proof is above. I was told that a list of deciding factors was given to AAMs to select the most "dependable" instructors for a call back to work. The list was not made by GCOM, but rather it was made by NOVA foreign managers.

I don't see this as being a bad thing from a business perspective: Why bring back those who weighed-down the company? It certainly isn't fair, but that's life!
I did believe you and I agree it is fairly predictable, if unfair, in many individual cases.

You also said that some of the instructors who had been rehired were not in your opinion dependable. This hints at rush and a lack of care in the selection process.

In any case, even with selection for amiability/dependability/loyalty in place, I still think there is so much bad blood and so many unsettled scores out there that there will be problems.

Maybe I've missed something but has GCom made any significant effort to create a fresh start? It looks more like old Mr S was right about one thing. That this was a plan drawn up by a couple of the directors and several senior managers in order to save their skins and maintain the status quo as far as possible. GCom agreed to that as the price of being the preferred partner. How far they now honour the pact after things stabilise a bit remains to be seen.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:22 pm

Someone else posted earlier that NOVA and G Com have different lists. If you didn't hand in things at the meeting, odds are you aren't on NOVA's list. This includes if you sent/faxed them to G. Com. If you faxed or sent in the re-employment papers to G. Com, call FP (not your AAM or anyone else) and make sure you're on a list to be called. Odds are you are not!

subprime
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by subprime » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:25 pm

ex_sensei wrote:
Japandy wrote:Gut feeling or tip-off from above?
No tip-off, but it's a gut feeling. I don't see a Japanese company paying instructors such high salaries when the Japanese staff make peanuts.

hahaha. REALLY??? cos do you know how much the Japanese staff made at old NOVA?!

The model's not gonna change. All foreign staff made usually around 100,000yen more per month than Japanese staff did. The excuse was that we were all "trained professionals" and they were fresh out of college job seekers (AHAHA, irony).

Of course they were entitled to several benefits over us (as well as the benefit of having to come in an hour early unpaid every day or leaving an hour late unpaid) and that precious bonus that NOVA should be paying any day now right?

indoctrin8 wrote:oh, and we were told not to call them challenge lessons.

We were told that in old NOVA too. They phased out calling them challenge lessons a year or so ago because it led to an unbalanced levelling up. Uhm, what I mean by that is that people were getting levelled up too fast and quitting too soon because teachers though "oh, this 6 can handle zone E lessons really well -- of course they're ready to be level 5!" when really what the money grubbers wanted was for them to FLAWLESSLY perfect at zone D lessons and then to be bumped into level 5 when they could theoretically do zone F lessons, thus locking each student in level longer and making more money.

subprime
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by subprime » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:46 pm

novawhiz wrote: most of them went to woman's college, two year post H.S non-academic curriculum where they learn how to be good females.... seriously...

who knows what they really make, anyone seen a FULL TIME J-staff branch manager paycheck? I bet it's a lot closer to a full time instructors paycheck than you think. Half the gals I knew were actually part timers...

Why on earth would you compare a branch MANAGERS paycheck to a regular instructors paycheck!? that's completely backwards don't you think? The managers have a lot more responsibility, not to mention being much higher on the totem pole than an entry level FT instructor.

Most of the girls I worked with were fresh out of legitimate colleges working fulltime for NOVA and making 150,000yen starry eyed saying that their bonuses would make up for it. No idea how much the branch manager was making except that she cried when she found out there was no bonus coming.

It doesn't really matter what the curriculum was. I know plently of NOVA teachers who went to 4 year colleges that "taught" them how to cheat on tests and chug beers. What I'm saying is that there's already a clear gap in the salaries of staff members versus foreign instructors so I see no reason why GComm would lower instructor salaries based on such an inequality. And no reason why they should, seeing as how the instructors are the cash cows of the company.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Many of the entry-level jobs these days pay surprisingly close to the eikaiwa starting salary, and that isn't counting bonuses! Nova was probably the worst-paying, but if you look at some of the job-hunting magazines for Japanese people, they list the typical starting salary of lots of companies.
While the J economy has been getting better, salaries have been going up for Japanese, while gaijin teaching salaries don't.

Check out torabayu とらばーゆ (travaille) a magazine for young women job-seekers.
According to their website
http://toranet.yahoo.co.jp/t/r/T100020s_ecd_01

Monthly salary
Aeon 218000 and up
Geos 228000 and up (even more for 4-year college grad)

not sure if bonuses are included

Couldn't find ECC with a simple "eikaiwa" search.

Yes, the hours are long, but really, many J-staff have nothing to do between lessons, when there are no customers to talk to. They can just sit there and chat. But some managers will give them pointless busy work to fill up the time.

Staff have long hours, and teachers have "short" hours, but we teachers have to be swithced on every single minute. There is no chance to just space out in front of a computer for 10 minutes, or go to the toilet in the middle of a lesson.

The "J staff get paid peanuts compared to us" line is no longer true. And for those who live rent-free, they defnitely have lots more money than eikaiwa drones.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

somnambulist
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

just got a call...

Unread post by somnambulist » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:17 pm

from G. Comm. There will be an information session today (Sunday) at 5:30 on the 16th floor of the MM center for those who are called. Also, two more sessions on Monday, 3:30 (I think) and 6:30.

They said for me to bring:
headset
card key
passport
last train pass
photocopies of: the first page in my bankbook, visa, and passport photo page

Formal attire, as well. No information on the opening of the MM center.

He also mentioned that today is the day where I lot of people who turned in those forms requesting employment would be called.

I guess this is good news... there could certainly be worse news. :huh:

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: just got a call...

Unread post by Level3 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:40 pm

somnambulist wrote:from G. Comm. There will be an information session today (Sunday) at 5:30 on the 16th floor of the MM center for those who are called. Also, two more sessions on Monday, 3:30 (I think) and 6:30.

headset
card key
passport
last train pass

He also mentioned that today is the day where I lot of people who turned in those forms requesting employment would be called.

Such as requiring old staff to turn in their card keys and headsets?
Bye bye! (for some of you)

Seriously, though. There's no reason they shouldn't be trying to get what should easily be the most profitable part of old-Nova running.
There's also no reason a call center should be located in a major urban center with ridiculous rent, or using 1990s technology... but I digress.

But it does sound like a bit of good news. Let us know if they actually have any contracts printed yet.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Kuronama » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:34 pm

Level3 wrote:
Yes, the hours are long, but really, many J-staff have nothing to do between lessons, when there are no customers to talk to. They can just sit there and chat. But some managers will give them pointless busy work to fill up the time.

Staff have long hours, and teachers have "short" hours, but we teachers have to be swithced on every single minute. There is no chance to just space out in front of a computer for 10 minutes, or go to the toilet in the middle of a lesson.

The "J staff get paid peanuts compared to us" line is no longer true. And for those who live rent-free, they defnitely have lots more money than eikaiwa drones.

This is true. I worked at a former branch, which was quite busy, but when lessons were being conducted there was often a lotta time for staff to chit chat in front of the computers (especially when it was over J-staffed, which was OFTEN) - at least while I was teaching kids in the kids class, next to the office, and could see the staff kickin back, or when id bring in the wrong text and had to go back to the teachers room.

And this is likely the same situation as back home. I highly doubt the secretaries and office staff are making the same coin as teachers do in public schools back home.

And lastly, there would be absolutely NO incentive for teachers to work for less than 240,000-250,000 a month. So decreasing the teachers salaries is definately not an option. And increasing the entry level staff wages is doable somewhat, but as was also mentioned, they do have other incentives such as bonuses and such. As for the unpaid OT, well that all comes down to the cultural differences. For Japanese juniors in a company to disagree and simply rebel is not a common practice. Whereas foreigers (as we have seen from this whole fiasco) not getting paid when we are supposed to leads to a lotta walk outs.. If you wanna get something done, or change things, its up to the individual to change things for the better. Again, uncommon in Japan.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: just got a call...

Unread post by inflames » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:41 pm

swiz wrote:
somnambulist wrote:from G. Comm. There will be an information session today (Sunday) at 5:30 on the 16th floor of the MM center for those who are called. Also, two more sessions on Monday, 3:30 (I think) and 6:30.

headset
card key
passport
last train pass

Re. the MMC - from what I've heard, there will be instructors restarting there tomorrow.

Heard from a reliable source - they went to the meeting today. No other details at the moment.
Yep, people had the choice of going back tomorrow or waiting until January. There were pros and cons for each option, but I'll let someone else bring up the exact details.

The deadline (at least for MM) is to have everyone that wanted reemployment sorted out by Wednesday. They also wanted proof of insurance for people who are coming back Monday.

spoof
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by spoof » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:29 pm

Personally I`m looking forward to G-Comm`s 'smile training'. The good point is if you`re sitting in Mr Donuts with only your Angel French for company and a lovely member of the opposite sex walks in ...

The downside could be evaluation time when the AT approaches the Branch Manager for a comment on the instructors ability to flash those pearly whites. Hey, it could be as important as one`s attendance record. Better start exercising those cheekbones everybody and don`t forget to brush and floss after lunch.

Valentina
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Valentina » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:51 pm

Hey,

Just got some small pieces of info from some former coworkers who were interested in working for G-Com. Some of these may be repeating what other people have said, but in the interest of giving a full account from different areas, here it is.

Firstly, my former branch was one of those that reopened on Friday despite it being quite small. The reason was that it was the only branch possible for G-Com to open as the landlords of the other schools refused to have anything to do with old or new Nova. Like people said on the previous pages, the reason smaller schools are open is that rent is lower and landlords in smaller towns have fewer options for tenants.

Secondly, a meeting for those instructors interested in G-Com was planned for last Tuesday and was postponed every day until Friday, when Japanese speaking G-Commers only turned up and attempted a meeting. When this was found to be impossible, a Ginganet meeting was set up with an English speaking G-Com staff.

When questioned on health insurance, the answer was 'we don't know, arrange it yourself.'

When questioned on declaring bankruptcy the answer was 'we don't know, nothing to do with us.'

When questioned on contracts, the answer was 'start work and we'll get to it.'

At this point, tempers were becoming frayed. Instructors wanted better answers, which were not forthcoming. The meeting was suspended for a few minutes to allow some discussion among the instructors. During this time, an instructor called the old AAM (areas have now been reworked) to be told that the G-Com people had been in touch with him and had given this ultimatum: Start work today without a contract, or go home and don't come back. Amazingly, only half of the instructors present chose to leave. The others have been offered the JPY50,000 advance already mentioned.

The former AAM is apparently under a great deal of stress. He had a very high ranking under the old Nova system but was told by G-Com: "as far as we are concerned, you are just another teacher."

This can only be bad, bad news for anyone who has no option but G-Com. Just putting it out there. Be careful, people.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:09 am

They want sheep. People who put up with these ultimatums (ultimatae?) to "work without a contract right the fuck now, or get out" are sheep who will put up with WHATEVER they decide to put in the contract. Exactly the type that the ex-Nova management wants. How many people are gonna start work, and then have the balls to NOT sign whatever contract is thrown across the desk a week or a month from now? That's why they want people working BEFORE the contracts are written.

Is working without a contract even legal?

The 1 in 3 chance of the contract having a clause to give you only half your monthly salary if your schedule is only half booked ("temporary salary adjustments in the opening probationary period according to actual teaching hours" or some such BS) has just gone up to 2 in 3.

Don't expect to get paid fully for Decmber/Jan for the New Year holiday either. If you take the advance (you should, and then bail) and stay, then I bet it'll be subtracted from a 3/4 salary payment in January.

Could there be a bigger sign of their sliminess than if they decide to make "contract day" the day before payday? All but outright saying "Sign or don't get paid." Might as well send a guy in a pinstripe suit with tatoos to get the signature. Let's see if it happens.

Baaaa! Baaaa!
Last edited by Level3 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:15 am

Valentina wrote:Hey,

Just got some small pieces of info from some former coworkers who were interested in working for G-Com. Some of these may be repeating what other people have said, but in the interest of giving a full account from different areas, here it is.

Firstly, my former branch was one of those that reopened on Friday despite it being quite small. The reason was that it was the only branch possible for G-Com to open as the landlords of the other schools refused to have anything to do with old or new Nova. Like people said on the previous pages, the reason smaller schools are open is that rent is lower and landlords in smaller towns have fewer options for tenants.

Secondly, a meeting for those instructors interested in G-Com was planned for last Tuesday and was postponed every day until Friday, when Japanese speaking G-Commers only turned up and attempted a meeting. When this was found to be impossible, a Ginganet meeting was set up with an English speaking G-Com staff.

When questioned on health insurance, the answer was 'we don't know, arrange it yourself.'

When questioned on declaring bankruptcy the answer was 'we don't know, nothing to do with us.'

At this point, tempers were becoming frayed. Instructors wanted better answers, which were not forthcoming. The meeting was suspended for a few minutes to allow some discussion among the instructors. During this time, an instructor called the old AAM (areas have now been reworked) to be told that the G-Com people had been in touch with him and had given this ultimatum: Start work today without a contract, or go home and don't come back. Amazingly, only half of the instructors present chose to leave. The others have been offered the JPY50,000 advance already mentioned.

The former AAM is apparently under a great deal of stress. He had a very high ranking under the old Nova system but was told by G-Com: "as far as we are concerned, you are just another teacher."

This can only be bad, bad news for anyone who has no option but G-Com. Just putting it out there. Be careful, people.
Do AAMs even remember how to teach?

They certainly won't like it as they all took salary cuts to be AAMs and will have to go back to their original position on a lower salary.

Monkeynuts
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Location: Sitting comfortably,watching the evil empire's demise and resurrection.

Unread post by Monkeynuts » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:16 am

Valentina wrote:

If this is true then what the fuck are the trustees doing letting G-fuck piss people about? I'm yet to be convinced the trustees are working in our best interests.
If staffs smile,students will smile,teachers will smile,and visitors will smile. And then we will always achieve our targets!!

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:24 am

Valentina wrote:The former AAM is apparently under a great deal of stress. He had a very high ranking under the old Nova system but was told by G-Com: "as far as we are concerned, you are just another teacher." This can only be bad, bad news for anyone who has no option but G-Com. Just putting it out there. Be careful, people.
Jeez! I guess Saruhashi was right when he said that NOVA will cease to exist without him in charge. These GCOM people seem like xenophobic morons!

Tripod Jimmy
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Tripod Jimmy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:33 am

ex_sensei wrote:
Valentina wrote:The former AAM is apparently under a great deal of stress. He had a very high ranking under the old Nova system but was told by G-Com: "as far as we are concerned, you are just another teacher." This can only be bad, bad news for anyone who has no option but G-Com. Just putting it out there. Be careful, people.
Jeez! I guess Saruhashi was right when he said that NOVA will cease to exist without him in charge. These GCOM people seem like xenophobic morons!
I heard from a friend that my former AAM lost 6 man each month from his paycheck when he became AAM.
He was a really nice guy but doesn't work for Nova anymore - I heard he quit to become a headhunter.

FarOut
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by FarOut » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:00 am

hello cthulhu wrote:Do you want to know a *secret*? Do not *think* it too *not campers*.
I know your secret, cthulhu. You aren't the only one who's played Star Control II. Don't believe me, everyone? Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orz_%28Star_Control%29

Peter
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Peter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:26 am

Sorry hello cthulhu, I can't understand you at all.
You may think you sound cool but you came off as a completely sad wxxxker to me.
Surely, you were never an English teacher... I hope not.

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:30 am

Peter wrote:Sorry hello cthulhu, I can't understand you at all.
You may think you sound cool but you came off as a completely sad wxxxker to me.
I agree! Cthulhu needs to stop. His posts are irrelevant and of no use to anyone!

Franksandbeans
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Franksandbeans » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:37 am

ex_sensei wrote:
Peter wrote:Sorry hello cthulhu, I can't understand you at all.
I agree! Cthulhu needs to stop. His posts are irrelevant and of no use to anyone!

Star Control II! Never heard of it but a huge letdown that his shit was totally not original!

You can understand what he's getting at if you look carefully, but I've lost patience for it now too if it's just bs from a game...
She loves me, she loves me not. She loves me, she loves me not. She lo...

Franksandbeans
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Franksandbeans » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:58 am

As far as people being "sheep" for accepting X working conditions, well you could take that an awful long way couldn't you?

I won't insult your inteligence and try to spell it all out, but just to simplify this entire 'non-contract, what's gonna happen if they decide to stack the deck in their favor and there's no way they could be fair about it becuase they are just,... untrustworthy' crisis, I'd say you'll just have to wait and see what's what and decide what to do from there. Are you saying that anyone who bargains from anything other than the higher position is a "sheep"?

In my opinion, in any non-aggressive, rational human relationship that involves trade, there is the point where one, both or all sides will walk away if they can afford to do that. If they can't, then they don't have much choice but to stay with the relationship until they can. The employer-employee dynamic is no different.
She loves me, she loves me not. She loves me, she loves me not. She lo...

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:21 am

Valentina wrote:G-Com. Tomfoolery
Damn, that really sucks - if it's happening across the board. Hell, it sucks even if it's happening in your area.
Good luck to all, and remember to supply your own lube for future "meetings."
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:58 am

With all due respect, Bob, those posts about EC were posted weeks ago. If you are going to slam EC do it for something they have done recently and in relation to Nova since this is the Nova thread...

1) They lied at the November 10th Information Session and can't be trusted
2) They are asking some branch instructors to work without contracts
3) They are unorganized and slow to get the ball rolling due to non-communication with their "new" Nova managers
4) They are hiring Anders Ludquist (but you already covered that)
5) They are hiring middle managers who are pre-selecting people for the branches depending on "dependability" (or how well they kiss ass or on how many people are left - take your pick) then not valuing them as such (which may create a horrid working atmosphere)

If you want to speak negatively about the situation there is plenty to point out in the here and now. You don't have to dredge up old crap that may not apply to their Nova branches.

As for the positives...

Well, money is a big one for many people. They are guaranteeing past wages (not sure if I trust their "guarantee"). The remaining managers at Nova do seem to be making the effort to communicate with people to some degree and are now in a position where they need to prove themselves to their managers - this does not mean they have to prove themselves to instructors but this might mean that they will direct their wrath upwards rather than downwards. The media is watching the new company very carefully so if there are any severe problems, talk to a reporter. G-Com did reimburse travel expenses at the information sessions so on some level the company is trying.

In G-Com's defense...

Another consideration is that this is a Japanese company. They seem to be treating the foreign workforce the same as the Japanese workforce but they are also on a steep learning curve. They are learning how to deal with a (on their scale) huge foreign workforce. This requires a very different management style with actual honest communication. As much as people seem to look down their noses at eikaiwa, it is the type of work people don't have to sell their souls to do which makes it a great job but not a career. Careers require soul-selling and self-sacrifice. Instructors don't generally do that and looking at the comment where AAM's are being treated as instructors, the AAM's will no longer be required to do that either. G-Com will not be able to get away with treating employees as a Japanese workforce unless people let them. There are other options especially when the new schoolyear starts.

For those who sold their souls to Nova... hope you can get them back. You might need them now. :wink:

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:44 am

Stock is now sitting at 1. So, the majority is up for grabs!! :lol:
Good luck all with this neo-Nova crap...
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:33 am

bob wrote:
whatever wrote:With all due respect, Bob, those posts about EC were posted weeks ago. If you are going to slam EC do it for something they have done recently and in relation to Nova since this is the Nova thread...

1) They lied at the November 10th Information Session and can't be trusted
2) They are asking some branch instructors to work without contracts
3) They are unorganized and slow to get the ball rolling due to non-communication with their "new" Nova managers
4) They are hiring Anders Ludquist (but you already covered that)
5) They are hiring middle managers who are pre-selecting people for the branches depending on "dependability" (or how well they kiss ass or on how many people are left - take your pick) then not valuing them as such (which may create a horrid working atmosphere)

If you want to speak negatively about the situation there is plenty to point out in the here and now. You don't have to dredge up old crap that may not apply to their Nova branches.

As for the positives...

Well, money is a big one for many people. They are guaranteeing past wages (not sure if I trust their "guarantee"). The remaining managers at Nova do seem to be making the effort to communicate with people to some degree and are now in a position where they need to prove themselves to their managers - this does not mean they have to prove themselves to instructors but this might mean that they will direct their wrath upwards rather than downwards. The media is watching the new company very carefully so if there are any severe problems, talk to a reporter. G-Com did reimburse travel expenses at the information sessions so on some level the company is trying.

In G-Com's defense...

Another consideration is that this is a Japanese company. They seem to be treating the foreign workforce the same as the Japanese workforce but they are also on a steep learning curve. They are learning how to deal with a (on their scale) huge foreign workforce. This requires a very different management style with actual honest communication. As much as people seem to look down their noses at eikaiwa, it is the type of work people don't have to sell their souls to do which makes it a great job but not a career. Careers require soul-selling and self-sacrifice. Instructors don't generally do that and looking at the comment where AAM's are being treated as instructors, the AAM's will no longer be required to do that either. G-Com will not be able to get away with treating employees as a Japanese workforce unless people let them. There are other options especially when the new schoolyear starts.

For those who sold their souls to Nova... hope you can get them back. You might need them now. :wink:
:) Can you put some meat on the bone and say what hours and conditons EC/Gcom/Nova are offering. EG:

1. National Holidays?
2. Health Insurance?
3. Time between lessons? Paid or unpaid?
4. Sick pay?
5. Hours of work?
6. Bonuses?
7. Christmas/New year holidays?
8. Fining system?
9. Training periods?
10. Contracts?
11. Material other than Diplocrap?
12. Same booking system as before for students?
13. Usagi trinkets and goods?
14. Staff lying through their collective teeth to get a sale?
Bob

1. Can you go back a few pages and read for yourself?
2. Can you go look at other websites and answer these for yourself?
3. Can you stop posting rehashed shit?
4. Why are you so slow?

fart-ass
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by fart-ass » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:48 am

usagibyebye wrote:Anyone going to work for GCOM has put all their cards down on the table. And what I mean is they have revealed to GCOM that they have no cards to play. GCOM knows that these instructors are prepared to be deceived, to be strung along by casual assurances, to have the deal changed on them, to work unpaid, to be cut off from work and then to go back to work (with a contract on its way). Oh, and that they will believe absolutely anything. GCOM know what these instructors are made of. I agree completely that the contracts will not be nice nor what has been "promised". GCOM can not have any respect for these people.
Right on! There is no excuse. Everyone I know who left Nova during this shit has found new work. People who say they are going to G-Comm 'just until something more stable comes along' are very confused.

Why spend even a minute at G-Comm when you know they don't have any stability? It's like staying with an abusive boyfriend just until you meet a nice guy. The point is, you don't meet nice guys because you're spending all your time with the abusive prick. Working for G-Comm is an automatic admission that you have a deep fear of 'the big world out there', and that you are unwilling to advance in life. It is utter laziness, stemming from fear. There are no excuses.

And as for Ex-Sensei, I have lost all respect for you. That remark about the 'dependable' instructors, and your reference to the others, who 'weighed down' the company, is reprehensable. You sound like Sahashi, and the Japanese media, trying to blame the teachers for Nova's collapse. Do you know why I was not a dependable teacher? Because when I saw the storm coming I stopped showing up in the fields. I took days off to get a new life in order. To say instructors who reacted as I did weighed down the company is like saying the passengers on the Titanic who made it to the rescue boats had weighed down the ship as it sank.

No excuses! All G-Comm employees have gone from working as informants for the Nazi party, to working as informants for the Neo-Nazi party. Fuck all of you!