Supernova: After the flameout

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:11 am

I can't believe that there is still nothing on the official NOVA website about the school openings! One has to go to the GCOM website, click on a small image link to get to the school opening page.

What is going on GCOM? Don't you think it would be wise to have a direct link from the front of the NOVA website?

I guess not! What morons!
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:25 am

The information reported on here leads me to think it isn't such a bad deal, at least for the moment.

Getting paid just to wait around for a month or two, although obviously boring is certainly better than staying at home without pay.

Does anyone think once those instructors who have 20 or so paid holidays reach 6 months there'll be lots of resignations?
No-one can or will want to teach Diplomat forever!

What about the shifts? If you had earlies and now you have to work lates does your salary increase accordingly?

How about days off? Will these change to suit the branch?

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:31 am

Japandy wrote:The information reported on here leads me to think it isn't such a bad deal, at least for the moment.

Getting paid just to wait around for a month or two, although obviously boring is certainly better than staying at home without pay.

Does anyone think once those instructors who have 20 or so paid holidays reach 6 months there'll be lots of resignations?

What about the shifts? If you had earlies and now you have to work lates does your salary increase accordingly?

I bolded the key point in your comment Japandy: Late shifts for all, same days off, etc mean no big change for now. However, I suspect that within a couple of months or so, the real changes will start. Things like training instructors to teach EC material if necessary (why else would they have 5 people in classrooms?), changes to salaries, changes to contracts, and IAMs (formerly known as AAMs) having to teach.

But for now, everything is the same as before bankruptcy. GCOM people are leaving the NOVA English side of the business to themselves.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:34 am

Tripod Jimmy wrote:Has anyone paid their residents tax yet? I know I haven't.
Starting this year, I'd expect the local taxes to be a lot more strict about collecting. The whole tax system seems to have changed.

Until now, national tax was about 10% of your salary, and local taxes were about 5% or so. Now that system is going to be reversed. 5% or so to the national govt., and 10% to the local govt. With tax revenues, in effect, doubling for the local govts. it will be more cost effective now to really go after tax delinquents.

Way back when I thought I might be leaving Japan, I just ignored the local tax letters in the mail, but in the end I changed my mind, stayed, I paid up about a year late, there was about 10% in interest tacked on, which wasn't too bad considering.

Pretty soon ex-Nova drones are gonna find out whether Nova actually paid their taxes after decucting it from paychecks, or just stole the money (like the rent money) Anyone know yet if they did this? [An order from Monkeybridge to funnel tax deductions into Nova's pockets rather than paying them would have been a scenario in which most accouting staff would probably resign on the spot, for fear of not only losing their licenses, but going to jail... and many of the Nova accountants DID resign, didn't they? Not much of a stretch of the imagination.]

Lesson, if you don't know what your tax situation is, start taking initiative, there ARE payments plans available, and the tax office people I've dealt with have all been very helpful, some of them even speak a bit of English. In my town, actually going to the tax office itself, rather than the tax desk at your kuyakusho, has yielded much better asistance, but some towns have different systems.

If it turns out that you owe 300,000 yen in taxes, and 500,000 yen in health insurance backpayments, and 200,000 in pension backpayments.. then maybe that would be a good excuse to give up on Japan for a while.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

Tripod Jimmy
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Tripod Jimmy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:50 am

Level3 wrote:
Tripod Jimmy wrote:Has anyone paid their residents tax yet? I know I haven't.
Starting this year, I'd expect the local taxes to be a lot more strict about collecting. The whole tax system seems to have changed.

Until now, national tax was about 10% of your salary, and local taxes were about 5% or so. Now that system is going to be reversed. 5% or so to the national govt., and 10% to the local govt. With tax revenues, in effect, doubling for the local govts. it will be more cost effective now to really go after tax delinquents.

Way back when I thought I might be leaving Japan, I just ignored the local tax letters in the mail, but in the end I changed my mind, stayed, I paid up about a year late, there was about 10% in interest tacked on, which wasn't too bad considering.

Pretty soon ex-Nova drones are gonna find out whether Nova actually paid their taxes after decucting it from paychecks, or just stole the money (like the rent money) Anyone know yet if they did this? [An order from Monkeybridge to funnel tax deductions into Nova's pockets rather than paying them would have been a scenario in which most accouting staff would probably resign on the spot, for fear of not only losing their licenses, but going to jail... and many of the Nova accountants DID resign, didn't they? Not much of a stretch of the imagination.]

Lesson, if you don't know what your tax situation is, start taking initiative, there ARE payments plans available, and the tax office people I've dealt with have all been very helpful, some of them even speak a bit of English. In my town, actually going to the tax office itself, rather than the tax desk at your kuyakusho, has yielded much better asistance, but some towns have different systems.

If it turns out that you owe 300,000 yen in taxes, and 500,000 yen in health insurance backpayments, and 200,000 in pension backpayments.. then maybe that would be a good excuse to give up on Japan for a while.
I've missed the last payment only which is 54,000 yen. I could pay it at a push although I'd rather wait until I have more money in the bank.

hello cthulhu

Re: MM Center

Unread post by hello cthulhu » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:55 am

allblacks wrote: Yes we were. Both of us enjoyed lots of SAUCE!
When the *jitsu ha* is *jitsu* bob is *the sauce*. let's *the dancing* to make bob *the sauce*?

hello cthulhu

Unread post by hello cthulhu » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:00 am

bobonobo wrote: referring to the above and allblacks, upon rereading cthulhu's comments, he's funnier then I gave him credit for. I deleted my slightly opinionated comment. sorry cthulhu. Carry on as before......
So much the better! hello cthulhu have been waiting for *alliance* time.
I will show you the inside.
It is so good that you will never leave.
Oh, I am so excited for expecting *alliance parties*.
Yes! Yes! Reconsider is best.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:00 am

ex_sensei wrote:
Japandy wrote:The information reported on here leads me to think it isn't such a bad deal, at least for the moment.

I bolded the key point in your comment Japandy: Late shifts for all, same days off, etc mean no big change for now. However, I suspect that within a couple of months or so, the real changes will start. Things like training instructors to teach EC material if necessary (why else would they have 5 people in classrooms?), changes to salaries, changes to contracts, and IAMs (formerly known as AAMs) having to teach.

But for now, everything is the same as before bankruptcy. GCOM people are leaving the NOVA English side of the business to themselves.
Do you really think they'll change salaries? That would be controversial to say the least after all they've said.

Roleplays will be tricky with 5 people - kind of eliminates pair work!

Writing comments will take a while too though it could be some time before there are 5 students in any class.

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:10 am

Japandy wrote:Do you really think they'll change salaries? That would be controversial to say the least after all they've said.

Roleplays will be tricky with 5 people - kind of eliminates pair work! Writing comments will take a while too though it could be some time before there are 5 students in any class.
I think they'll change salaries with new contract signings. It will be controversial.

As for the 5 student classrooms - I hate odd numbered classrooms. Hated going to schools with 3 students maximum because it'd make the role play setups more challenging.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:14 am

ex_sensei wrote:
Japandy wrote:Do you really think they'll change salaries? That would be controversial to say the least after all they've said.

Roleplays will be tricky with 5 people - kind of eliminates pair work! Writing comments will take a while too though it could be some time before there are 5 students in any class.
I think they'll change salaries with new contract signings. It will be controversial.

As for the 5 student classrooms - I hate odd numbered classrooms. Hated going to schools with 3 students maximum because it'd make the role play setups more challenging.
Gut feeling or tip-off from above?

I guess when you say changing the salaries that means down and not up so ruling out raises.

Still a lot of uncertainty hanging about.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:29 am

sorry for repeating myself, but how the FUCK is anybody going to be able to choose a dildomat lesson with 5 punters? remember what a cunt it was with 4?

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:31 am

indoctrin8 wrote:sorry for repeating myself, but how the FUCK is anybody going to be able to choose a dildomat lesson with 5 punters? remember what a cunt it was with 4?
I had trouble with 3 students!

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:34 am

not forgetting the mystery guest in your class who did the lesson yesterday...

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:41 am

Japandy wrote:Gut feeling or tip-off from above?
No tip-off, but it's a gut feeling. I don't see a Japanese company paying instructors such high salaries when the Japanese staff make peanuts.
indoctrin8 wrote:sorry for repeating myself, but how the FUCK is anybody going to be able to choose a dildomat lesson with 5 punters? remember what a cunt it was with 4?
It'll be difficult, but it shouldn't be: The one-week-ago-do-it-again rule will be used more and more.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:45 am

wasnt it one MONTH do it again?

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:50 am

indoctrin8 wrote:wasnt it one MONTH do it again?
Thought so too. I wonder if there'll be any 3MOCs?

After all everyone's level must be lower than before.

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:08 am

indoctrin8 wrote:wasnt it one MONTH do it again?
One month? No, in our area it was one week because of all the challenge lessons.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:10 am

if anyone cares to do a probability mathcrunch, i think you will find that 5 punters into free booking system doesnt go.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:13 am

oh, and we were told not to call them challenge lessons.

4StarCubicle
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by 4StarCubicle » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:05 am

According to a thread on facebook, (i.e. Nova Group of Japan), The MM centre may be opening 'some time' in 2008. I'm hoping, for the sake of those who have returned to Gcom, that 'some time' is sooner rather than later.

MrX
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by MrX » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:07 pm

indoctrin8 wrote:not forgetting the mystery guest in your class who did the lesson yesterday...
Well, my view on them was that if they liked the lesson so much yesterday that they want another one today, surely they won't mind if it's exactly the same one. Twats who don't have the common sense or courtesy to reserve at least a few hours in advance deserve no better.
"I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said."

poxonyou
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: The Ander's Letter

Unread post by poxonyou » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:24 pm

bob wrote:The remaining time between lessons, outside of the work time defined above, is considered free time, in addition to the lunch break.
Funny, I remember my ATs and BTs telling me I couldn't leave the premises (to grab a snack or drink), except to smoke or go on my lunch break. I wish I had this letter conveniently handy so I could show them. "Says here it's my free time. I'll be back in 6 minutes."

poxonyou
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by poxonyou » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:31 pm

ex_sensei wrote:As for the 5 student classrooms - I hate odd numbered classrooms. Hated going to schools with 3 students maximum because it'd make the role play setups more challenging.
3 person lessons sucked ass. You were supposed to role play with 1 student, while listening to the other groups and giving them feedback at the end. It'll be hell with 5 students, yet you'll likely end up with many 5 person lessons as there will be few schools, many students, especially on the weekends. 5 persons also means yet another student who may show up 10-20 minutes late, totally missing the Main Language and just disrupting the lesson.

usagibyebye
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by usagibyebye » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:35 pm

Anyone going to work for GCOM has put all their cards down on the table. And what I mean is they have revealed to GCOM that they have no cards to play. GCOM knows that these instructors are prepared to be deceived, to be strung along by casual assurances, to have the deal changed on them, to work unpaid, to be cut off from work and then to go back to work (with a contract on its way). Oh, and that they will believe absolutely anything. GCOM know what these instructors are made of. I agree completely that the contracts will not be nice nor what has been "promised". GCOM can not have any respect for these people.

S-B
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by S-B » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:58 pm

It sounds to me more that G-Comm doesn't really know what it's let itself in for.

By the sounds of it (somebody tell me if this is true or not), the former FP staff may be doing all the rehiring, as GComm themselves don't really know how to approach this. If that's the case, then there's going to be people chopped for not being "loyal" etc. That wont be on the say of GComm, it'll be on the say of the old foreign staff.

I think GComm rushed into this without giving it much thought. It was a headline grabber, but now they have to deal with the reality.

This is going to be an open can of worms for a long time now.

Vox
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: When was the switch

Unread post by Vox » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:02 pm

Long Termer wrote:The list of branch openings on the website is beggining to look real... 25 now... So, although I was recently of the opinion that all seemed rather lost, I'll move that to a "wait and see" now...

but when did the program change from opening the 30 most profitable schools and following that with 200, to what seems to be open a random group of schools... These 25 certainly can't be part of the top 30 and I would say couldn't be part of the top 200 most profitable. 5 schools in Hokkaido. 1 in Kansai. 0 in Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka.

I don't have any numbers to back up my odd feeling, but the list of schools seems rather random... and updating everyday instead of like a week in advance seems rather rushed.
I`m not really that suprised by the choices - and I don`t think they`re that random. Schools in isolated areas, like Hakodate, will be paying significantly lower rent than a similar sized school in Osaka, in addition to being in a market with very few players. The lower rent portion ensures a higher profit margin month to month, and the low competition ensures an easier start up.

Those two go together in defining "profitable" at this point: G.Com needs to carry the rent for a month or two until numbers start coming up. By pegging schools in lower rent areas, their outlay is low while the % of students likely to return is higher.

As far as it being rushed - given that it`s been almost exactly a month since the doors closed, I think they`re moving as fast as can be reasonably expected. The day to day updates are likely being posted as they make the decisions to open. Probably see a big addition on monday though - something tells me no one at G Com is getting much sleep these days.

wtfysc
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by wtfysc » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:03 pm

poxonyou wrote:
bob wrote:The remaining time between lessons, outside of the work time defined above, is considered free time, in addition to the lunch break.
Funny, I remember my ATs and BTs telling me I couldn't leave the premises (to grab a snack or drink), except to smoke or go on my lunch break. I wish I had this letter conveniently handy so I could show them. "Says here it's my free time. I'll be back in 6 minutes."
Sadly (but unsurprisingly) the reason you didn't have it is because titled instructors (at least in the areas I worked) were encouraged not to talk about the fact that only 4 minutes between lessons was paid working time.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:03 pm

Yup, it seems like G.Com doesn't know what the hell it's doing, so it's very likely they're relying on the "sound advice" of the former Nova mangement. (Or maybe THAT is why they don't kow what the hell they're doing, after all nobody in Nova management actually has an MBA or anything like that, right?)

Expect the same, or probably worse, contracts and work conditions. (They've already boosted class size to 5.)

But with a fresh start comes fresh opportunity. Now WOULD be the perfect time to form a new union, like this week, before the contracts are finalized. There are so few teachers actually working, they could easily unionize and not have to rely on uber-twat, "Let's wear bunny costumes and advertise that we'll work for food" Tench.

Organizing a union would make life more interesting (which seems to be the reason some people give to rationalize staying through this whole fiasco, especially the September Drones who never got a single yen)

But then, organizing a union is a lot of work. Sitting on your ass at home whining about being broke and waiting for a handout is easy.

Just to repeat, when you start getting shafted (start? heh, it's already begun) by G.Com, we'll happily listen, but we'll no longer sympathize. You all know exactly what you're getting into this time (by which I mean you know have almost no information and leave everything to the whim of Anders, yet still choose to work for G.Com)

No excuses this time.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

S-B
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by S-B » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:12 pm

To be fair to GCom, my guess is that they think the old foreign managers will be able to get on with it without much say from them. They sound like they're just investing the capital. After taking on board what was once the biggest school in Japan, it's not as easy to get things started as quickly as they are doing with nobody from the "old days" as it were.

The problem is, it sounds like they don't know what they've taken on board exactly. The mis-management will just bring back the old problems again, and GCom may find they regret this investment. The majority of instructors at Nova probably didn't even know who Saruhashi was until the very end, mainly because they didn't care.

Spanner
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Spanner » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:19 pm

bob wrote:When it was uncovered that old Nova were breaking the rules regarding National health insurance, Nova got around it by fiddling the paid hours that instructors worked. Please contact your Assistant Area Manager if you have any questions regarding this clarification of work time and the lesson interval.

Anders Lundqvit
Director, Education Quality Control Center
Flemming Lord also sent a memo to AAMs in the summer listing which months A40 contract instructors were not permitted to do any overtime. The memo listed how many lessons would be worked each month based on days off. If an instructor went over a certain threshold for 3 months the company would be legally obliged to enrol the instructor in Shakai Hokken - certain months would be over the threshold even if no overtime was worked. This led to A40 instructors signing for overtime, then that overtime suddenly being re-assigned to a different instructor.
All this to avoid Shakai Hokken.
All A40 instructors were told they didn't qualify for Shakai Hokken unless they changed to an A40S contract. However anyone applying for the new contract was told that at present there was no demand for A40S teachers (whose only difference was working in the lesson intervals)

interesting then that the new OJT training pack makes numerous references to using the interval time to write file comments and plan lessons, but doesn't mention not getting paid for this time

Anders and flemming now working for G comm ......