Supernova: After the flameout

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Supernova: After the flameout

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:27 pm

This is the new thread for discussing the events surrounding Nova's filing for protective bankruptcy, the closing of all branches, the whereabouts of Sahashi, and anything else relevant.

Have at it! :wink:

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Ahh, the new thread.
To repost my question from the old, dead, thread:
Here's a thought.
Remember a few pages back when someone posted about people having OJT scheduled next week?
What the hell happens to those poor suckers, err, um, souls?

That has got to suck!
"Yeah, we brought you over thinking the company would pull out, but sorry, it went tits up while you were on your flight. Tough luck."
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

Mod
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Mod » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:38 pm

Are we ganna get this one up as high? I cant be reading another 500 pages, i got work to do :(
HANSHIN TIGERS!
今年残念ヤケド、来年絶対勝つよ! :)

We need 1 experienced teacher from each Prefecture to help us start our new private student enterprise. This IS NOT a job offer, merely a suggestion. Please PM me for more Info.

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Now would be the obvious time to break my Lets Japan.org addiction...

Redrum
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Redrum » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Fasten your seat belts and please return your tray to the upright position. Here we go. Many of you will be hearing the first sentance of this post when you run home. Not that it's your fault but the market does not have a chance or offering employment to all you out of work NOVA folks. Nova fucked a shit load of people, damn shame.
Genki Gaijin said:

Ah fuck it. This board is a sad waste of time. Enjoy your pissing contest, wankers.

suppaiku
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by suppaiku » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Nova died today, and I signed my new contract for another job today... :mrgreen:

I want my nova-money back!
Toute ma vie j'ai reve d'etre une hotesse de l'air... (Jacques Dutronc)

novalidity
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Re: Why didn't the government act sooner

Unread post by novalidity » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:54 pm

bob wrote:What I can't understand is why the Japanese government allowed Nova to break government rules and regulations for years without imposing penalties. Whatever you say about Government Health insurance, Shakai Hoken, Nova cheated the Japanese government and Japanese people out of billions of yen in unpaid premiums. No penalties were imposed on Nova for doing so. In fact, after it was discovered that Nova were cheating, the J-government allowed Nova to circumvent the rules by letting Nova cut instructors' hours, on paper, to below the requirement for a company to enroll employees in Shakai Hoken. The J-government also knew Nova were breaking the business transaction laws for a good number of years. How could the government stand-by and watch, as Nova were taken to court numerous times and found guilty of not giving rightful refunds to students. Nova paid the plaintiffs, but DID NOT ALTER THEIR REFUND POLICY. There was also the case where Nova, at one time, did not enroll instructors in the employment insurance system until they were persuaded to by the union. Again, the government imposed no penalties on Nova for not following proper procedure. The Japanese Government has a lot to answer for in the collapse of NOVA. Oh, yes. One more thing. Anders, who was behind a lot of Nova's dodgy practices, is still at large within the defunct company.
I said it in another thread and I'll say it hear too. A lot of students will be moaning about money lost today and blaming the instructors. They should be looking to:
a) Their government for allowing NOVA to cheat them and others for years
b) Their media for being so complacent in reporting reality.
c) Themselves for not being pro-active enough to search for the truth themselves and for accepting the steady drip-drip of lies that management fed them.

Instructors even the ones who went on strike are not blame for a company that was ALLOWED to abuse the system and who the Japanese government turned a blind eye to when it suited them to be lazy over dealing with them effectively.

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:57 pm

http://www.japaneconomynews.com/2007/10 ... /#comments

Some interesting stuff here - especially the bit about METI wanting to keep NOVA alive! God forbid.

bostongatewayfpm
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

bringing english speakers to japan

Unread post by bostongatewayfpm » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:58 pm

"When I was hired from Nova it was about 2 and a half months from my interview to me arriving in Japan. Also at my new company it usually takes about 3 months from the hire to the person arriving in Japan."

Whether it's 2.5 or more, it's time consuming and expensive. Companies need to plan months in advance and not all recruits work out (I'd be interested in the actual number that make it and stay for at least one year).

Companies have become so used to poaching from Nova that there will be a labor shortage crisis after new year (closer to Mar/April).

Nova was bringing 3,500 new people per year at the end. That's more than 30% of the labor in Eikaiwa in Japan. I figure most teachers leave just before X-mas... homesick, saved up enough, move on with their lives.

A lot of people back home will think twice about coming to Japan after all of this because of the rumors. Japan was considered safe, now it's in the same league as S.Korea and China. It will take money and time for the shortage to disappear.

Of course, demand will be cut quite a bit. In addition, Nova was the cheapest, a lot of students just can't afford Gaba or Berlitz.
Last edited by bostongatewayfpm on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exEmp#4187
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by exEmp#4187 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Anybody uploading the latest tv news onto YouTube?

bostongatewayfpm
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

NHK lead story

Unread post by bostongatewayfpm » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:05 pm

Lead story on the 7 o'clock news. Nova says it will need ONE MONTH to find assistance. They expect employees to stick around that long?????????????

Dreamland. No money, no work. In eleven days march into Hellowork.

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:07 pm

bob wrote:What I can't understand is why the Japanese government allowed Nova to break government rules and regulations for years without imposing penalties.
Sorry, but this is Japan. It is a developed nation that operates on money. The rich operate it. Who's rich? Monkey Boy. He had a friend in the LDP. The ginganet systems are in fact made by a former LDP member's company... exclusively.

This is a country, like any other, where who you know is far more important than what you know.

This is the situation as I understand it, and if I am incorrect, please correct me anyone.

1) A few years ago Nova was taken to court. At that time they were told to change their contracts. They did. With METI.

2) The contracts are changed and business has recovered and its booming. Oh. Student A wants to cancel their contract and wants a "full refund" despite the contractual obligations. For customer service, they do it. Then this becomes a common practice. Students buy three years worth of points for the lowest rate and then after a short time demand full refunds despite what the contract (written with METI) states.

3) Students complain after Nova stops the practice of full refunds. Nova ignores them. Then, the class action suit is filed and Nova fights it.

4) The Supreme Court rules against Nova. And honestly, rightfully so. Some of the staff when conducting themselves acted like Nova-whores in their sales approaches. However, so did the AAM's and upper management including Monkey Boy who continued to pay himself $60,000 per month.

5) METI sanctions are imposed. And these particular sanctions I don't personally agree with, since obviously these didn't work in helping pay the students or actually demand any contractual change or coporate restructuring. These sanctions were revenge. Why? Well, my personal opinion is that I think Money Boy stopped paying someone in the bureaucracy off, but that is speculation on my part.

6) Nova is dying. It's quick death considering the situation - I thought it would last until November 1st - off by a few days, haha :lol: Losing the Osaka contracts probably played a part in that.

So... why didn't the government do anything? The right people were getting paid.
Last edited by whatever on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

novalidity
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Re: NHK lead story

Unread post by novalidity » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:09 pm

bostongatewayfpm wrote:Lead story on the 7 o'clock news. Nova says it will need ONE MONTH to find assistance. They expect employees to stick around that long?????????????

If they seriously think that staff are going to hang around unpaid for a month....especially the foreign staff who will be screwed by the system and who have to worry about the cost of flights and damage limitation to their bank accounts then they are totally deluded.
The company will not have enough instructors left within a week to reopen 50% of the schools they still have. Looking through the schools closed list shows some areas are wiped out already. Add in Novas bad name and the company is for the scrap heap or long term life support followed by ignominous death.

clubrabbits
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by clubrabbits » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:10 pm

The Australian Govt blah blah has this to say:

http://www.consular.australia.or.jp/nov ... ation.html

the best bit is about cheap flights home...everything else we already know.

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Re: NHK lead story

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:13 pm

novalidity wrote:
bostongatewayfpm wrote:Lead story on the 7 o'clock news. Nova says it will need ONE MONTH to find assistance. They expect employees to stick around that long?????????????

If they seriously think that staff are going to hang around unpaid for a month....especially the foreign staff who will be screwed by the system and who have to worry about the cost of flights and damage limitation to their bank accounts then they are totally deluded.
The company will not have enough instructors left within a week to reopen 50% of the schools they still have. Looking through the schools closed list shows some areas are wiped out already. Add in Novas bad name and the company is for the scrap heap or long term life support followed by ignominous death.
I agree. There is no way they expect ANY employee to wait around a month. It's not a realistic expectation.

Technically, since NOVA is still my employer they are required to give ME 30 days notice. So, in my opinion, they should be required to pay me throughout the period they are "restructuring".

I can't say I am surprised that METI wants Nova to survive. Afterall, their sanctions should have helped enforce the Supreme Court ruling of people being paid refunds, not eliminate that possibility.

novalidity
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by novalidity » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:14 pm

whatever wrote:
bob wrote:Well, my personal opinion is that I think Money Boy stopped paying someone in the bureaucracy off, but that is speculation on my part.

So... why didn't the government do anything? The right people were getting paid.
Bingo. And that is why any Japanese students who are moaning about instructors today should look to their countrymen first...the instructors who went on strike weren't the ones greasing palms in the Diet.

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:14 pm

They are all STUPID! NOVA, GOVERNMENT, STUDENTS WHO KNEW NOTHING WAS WRONG, IDIOT TEACHER "I THOUGHT I WAS WORKING TODAY" :roll:

poxonyou
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by poxonyou » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:20 pm

fumanchu wrote:They are all STUPID! NOVA, GOVERNMENT, STUDENTS WHO KNEW NOTHING WAS WRONG, IDIOT TEACHER "I THOUGHT I WAS WORKING TODAY" :roll:
I saw that on TV too. :bang: I can't imagine working for Nova and not checking this site every morning before work and after work. He had no clue. Maybe he was one of those who refused to follow events on the Internet, you know, because it's all gossip and rumors, and just kept going to work believing everything would magically work out.

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:21 pm

fumanchu wrote:They are all STUPID! NOVA, GOVERNMENT, STUDENTS WHO KNEW NOTHING WAS WRONG, IDIOT TEACHER "I THOUGHT I WAS WORKING TODAY" :roll:
Hey, I WAS that idiot teacher at 10am this morning. I called the MM Center and asked if it was "business as usual" and the staff had no idea. We had a nice chat, but when I called at roughly noon there was no answer. The doors had closed.

It certainly saves me the trouble of calling in sick everyday. I actually spoke more to the staff at MM more over the past week than I ever did when I was working.

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
Location: On my steam yacht "The Saucy Sue", with the Balinese Goddess of Plenty

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Following discussions with the Australian Government, Qantas has advised that for a limited period it will be offering a reduced air-fare rate for Australian NOVA employees who wish to return to Australia. Enquiries (including about conditions and availability) should be directed to the Qantas Tokyo office on (03) 3593 7000.
Aussies, take advantage of this if you can!

Thanks QANTAS! You are champs! :D
It's only a short step from "tush" to "hey nonny nonny", and then I'm afraid I shall have to call the police.

I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then, hundreds of years from now, I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.

http://www.despair.com/

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:23 pm

whatever wrote:
bob wrote:What I can't understand is why the Japanese government allowed Nova to break government rules and regulations for years without imposing penalties.
Sorry, but this is Japan. It is a developed nation that operates on money. The rich operate it. Who's rich? Monkey Boy. He had a friend in the LDP. The ginganet systems are in fact made by a former LDP member's company... exclusively.

This is a country, like any other, where who you know is far more important than what you know.

This is the situation as I understand it, and if I am incorrect, please correct me anyone.

1) A few years ago Nova was taken to court. At that time they were told to change their contracts. They did. With METI.

2) The contracts are changed and business has recovered and its booming. Oh. Student A wants to cancel their contract and wants a "full refund" despite the contractual obligations. For customer service, they do it. Then this becomes a common practice. Students buy three years worth of points for the lowest rate and then after a short time demand full refunds despite what the contract (written with METI) states.

3) Students complain. Nova ignores them. Then, the class action suit is filed and Nova fights it.

4) The Supreme Court rules against Nova. And honestly, rightfully so. Some of the staff when conducting themselves acted like Nova-whores in their sales approaches. However, so did the AAM's and upper management including Monkey Boy who continued to pay himself $60,000 per month.

5) METI sanctions are imposed. And these particular sanctions I don't personally agree with, since obviously these didn't work in helping pay the students or actually demand any contractual change or coporate restructuring. These sanctions were revenge. Why? Well, my personal opinion is that I think Money Boy stopped paying someone in the bureaucracy off, but that is speculation on my part.

6) Nova is dying. It's quick death considering the situation - I thought it would last until November 1st - off by a few days, haha :lol: Losing the Osaka contracts probably played a part in that.

You are a knob mate. Seriously. You are still blaming METI. Get over it. Its all done and dusted now.

Nova did all this shit to themselves. Yes. They worked on the contracts with METI. METI made various suggestions and a common ground was found. BUT Nova could have made it easier for students to leave if they wanted to. Instead of this, they got greedy and just sucked in as much money as possible. Saruhashi wanting 1000 schools did them no favours.

I was trying to get you to see that Nova was wrong on the other thread before. If this doesnt help you, nothing will. Any further debate on this is only flogging a dead horse so Im done. Get over it.

Moonos21
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Moonos21 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:25 pm

just want to thank everyone who posted relevant info on the "end of nova" thread.

I remember when I didn't get paid as an AT in September, I'd already found out about here, so when my AAM called me I was able to answer with "So, I hear we haven't been paid", to which he replied "How do you know?" LOL!

Anyway, thanks everyone! and more importantly

FUCK NOVA!

poxonyou
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by poxonyou » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:26 pm

whatever wrote:
Hey, I WAS that idiot teacher at 10am this morning. I called the MM Center and asked if it was "business as usual" and the staff had no idea. We had a nice chat, but when I called at roughly noon there was no answer. The doors had closed.

It certainly saves me the trouble of calling in sick everyday. I actually spoke more to the staff at MM more over the past week than I ever did when I was working.
You were the one interviewed on TV who said you didn't know it was closed today?

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:27 pm

poxonyou wrote:
whatever wrote:

You were the one interviewed on TV who said you didn't know it was closed today?
:oops: :rotfl:

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:27 pm

allblacks wrote:
whatever wrote:

3) Students complain. Nova ignores them. Then, the class action suit is filed and Nova fights it.

You are a knob mate. Seriously. You are still blaming METI. Get over it. Its all done and dusted now.

Nova did all this shit to themselves. Yes. They worked on the contracts with METI. METI made various suggestions and a common ground was found. BUT Nova could have made it easier for students to leave if they wanted to. Instead of this, they got greedy and just sucked in as much money as possible. Saruhashi wanting 1000 schools did them no favours.

I was trying to get you to see that Nova was wrong on the other thread before. If this doesnt help you, nothing will. Any further debate on this is only flogging a dead horse so Im done. Get over it.
Hey, I agree Nova did stupid things. Repeatedly. But I also blame METI. I also blame crooked officials who were most likely paid off.

Yes, Nova probably screwed you over like it has many students and other instructors, but it was never completely bad. It was a little rotton, but not completely.

You need to get over the "I hate Nova" thing and move on, buddy. Holding onto that anger cannot be healthy. There is a bigger picture out there and whether you want to see it or not, Nova was a part of that larger picture.

I never said Nova was innocent. In fact, I have pointed out many things on this forum that Nova sucked at. But I don't think there is a black and white in any situation - just grey. But Nova was a pretty dark grey. As is METI. As are a lot of things imho.

And if Nova was soley to blame your wonderful Japanese government, or bureaucratic puppets of METI, would not be trying to help the company survive, would it?

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:28 pm

poxonyou wrote:
whatever wrote:

No :wink:

I was posting here. :roll:

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:33 pm

whatever wrote:

The point is if people don't have access to the information, they are uninformed. Not stupid.

hurry_up_and_die
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by hurry_up_and_die » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the 'end of nova' thread. I went into the branch before and watched,via ginganet, the 5:30pm meeting with the receivers and anders also.

95% of the information that they covered, re bankrupty or finding a sponsor, insurance, 80% payback, etc was information already posted on these boards over the last few days. There wasnt a lot of new ideas shared, the biggest stumbler for them was the health insurance question, ie JMA. which they had no idea on.

Basically, they have asked everyone to wait 10 days while they try and find a 'sponsor' to bail the company out, otherwise bankruptcy proceedings will commence soon after that. That is 10 days stay at home, which will be reimbursed later as days worked.

novalidity
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by novalidity » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:36 pm

Lord Blackadder wrote:
Following discussions with the Australian Government, Qantas has advised that for a limited period it will be offering a reduced air-fare rate for Australian NOVA employees who wish to return to Australia. Enquiries (including about conditions and availability) should be directed to the Qantas Tokyo office on (03) 3593 7000.
Aussies, take advantage of this if you can!

Thanks QANTAS! You are champs! :D
Let the mass exodus begin! Nova can say goodbye to another 20% of its workforce in the next few days......

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:37 pm

hurry_up_and_die wrote:Thanks to everyone who contributed to the 'end of nova' thread. I went into the branch before and watched,via ginganet, the 5:30pm meeting with the receivers and anders also.

95% of the information that they covered, re bankrupty or finding a sponsor, insurance, 80% payback, etc was information already posted on these boards over the last few days. There wasnt a lot of new ideas shared, the biggest stumbler for them was the health insurance question, ie JMA. which they had no idea on.

Basically, they have asked everyone to wait 10 days while they try and find a 'sponsor' to bail the company out, otherwise bankruptcy proceedings will commence soon after that. That is 10 days stay at home, which will be reimbursed later as days worked.

Thanks. Good to know that those days will indeed be "paid"... eventually. :?

As for insurance, contact Interglobal. They offer single coverage as well as group coverage.