Unemployment insurance

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
User avatar
boom boom 331
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 pm

Unread post by boom boom 331 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:55 pm

Hello Worker wrote:Does anyone have an update on what the average benefit per day has been or is going to be for ex Nova instructors who took their seperation papers into Hello Work during the last 10 - 15days?

I know age/time served/salary etc come into play but has anyone been very disappointed or perhaps pleasantly surprised?

My case worker was extremely helpful last week when I applied for benefits but stopped short of giving me even a ball park figure. "Calculations have to made".

I just had a feeling that it might be a little higher for those whose papers are marked unemployed due to bankruptcy as opposed to those who quit in Oct/Nov.

I also got the impression from my case worker at Hello Work that relations between Nova/G Com personnel and Hello Work are kind of strained at the moment. He kind of hinted that because his co workers had been very busy in late Nov/early Dec helping instructors track down and get incomplete paperwork and forms from Nova/G Com.
my guess is that it will be in the 5000 to 6000 yen per day. including holidays. it depends more on what your actual salary was not age
and not time at the company. those are used to determine how
long you can collect benefits for.
its now only a matter
of WHAT is to come NEXT.

twang
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:04 pm

Unread post by twang » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:14 am

Just wondering if anyone here has any solid info on how PT work affects UI? Can you claim UI while working part time? The reason I ask is that a *friend* has a PT job, very informal, no contract etc etc that pays in cash but also pays income tax on that. Do Hello Work and the tax people talk to each other? Is this *friend* gonna get busted if he fails to 'fess up these earnings to Hello Work?

Hello Worker
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Nippon

Unread post by Hello Worker » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:27 am

I was wondering about this too...

A Japanese friend said when she was going to Hello Work last year she could work as an "arubaito" sic. part-time job but she had to tell Hello Work when checking in with her case worker every month on what days and hours she worked.

Basically she wasn't paid her unemployment benefit on the days she worked. So I guess if you are going to work part-time while on benefits make sure they're worth it..ie..more than the 5000 - 6000 yen we can expect from Hello Work.

subprime
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:04 am

Unread post by subprime » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Hello Worker wrote:I was wondering about this too...

A Japanese friend said when she was going to Hello Work last year she could work as an "arubaito" sic. part-time job but she had to tell Hello Work when checking in with her case worker every month on what days and hours she worked.

Basically she wasn't paid her unemployment benefit on the days she worked. So I guess if you are going to work part-time while on benefits make sure they're worth it..ie..more than the 5000 - 6000 yen we can expect from Hello Work.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works.

however they have two classifications -- work done over 4 hours and under 4 hours and I believe there are different deductions for the two.

The days worked however still count for your total and are added onto the end of the 90 days as additional days.


As far as insurance and Hello Work talking to each other, this is a beaurocracy that still uses paper files: no one talks to each other. Defrauding a government is a very bad thing though.

User avatar
boom boom 331
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 pm

Unread post by boom boom 331 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:11 pm

subprime wrote:
Hello Worker wrote:I was wondering about this too...

A Japanese friend said when she was going to Hello Work last year she could work as an "arubaito" sic. part-time job but she had to tell Hello Work when checking in with her case worker every month on what days and hours she worked.

Basically she wasn't paid her unemployment benefit on the days she worked. So I guess if you are going to work part-time while on benefits make sure they're worth it..ie..more than the 5000 - 6000 yen we can expect from Hello Work.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works.

however they have two classifications -- work done over 4 hours and under 4 hours and I believe there are different deductions for the two.

The days worked however still count for your total and are added onto the end of the 90 days as additional days.


As far as insurance and Hello Work talking to each other, this is a beaurocracy that still uses paper files: no one talks to each other. Defrauding a government is a very bad thing though.
yes this is what ive been told too. you can work up to 4 hours a day, and
still claim the UI. They want to make sure you are trying to get work.
and looking for work. so i would be honest with them. if its under the
table money, i wouldnt mention it.
its now only a matter
of WHAT is to come NEXT.

details
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: Osaka

Unread post by details » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:18 pm

what did you all do right that got you your rishokuhyos? I resigned at the end of October, filed another request for a rishokuhyo (because just resigning doesn't send the right message, apparently) on November 16 and still have yet to receive it. I've been lucky to find a part time job that can cover my rent and some food, but UI would really help me out now, since none of these jobs start paying until a month after you start them, of course.

Has anybody attempted to go to HW without a rishokuhyo? Any success? I called and asked about this, they called Nova to see if my papers had been issued and when they were told they hadn't been issued, HW called me back and said I just had to wait.

subprime
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:04 am

Unread post by subprime » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:45 pm

details wrote:what did you all do right that got you your rishokuhyos? I resigned at the end of October, filed another request for a rishokuhyo (because just resigning doesn't send the right message, apparently) on November 16 and still have yet to receive it. I've been lucky to find a part time job that can cover my rent and some food, but UI would really help me out now, since none of these jobs start paying until a month after you start them, of course.

Has anybody attempted to go to HW without a rishokuhyo? Any success? I called and asked about this, they called Nova to see if my papers had been issued and when they were told they hadn't been issued, HW called me back and said I just had to wait.
Call foreign personnel and harass them until you get your rishokuhyo. That's the only way to do it.

hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Unemployment insurance

Unread post by hucards » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:56 pm

First off I'd like to say what a great site this is. I've been reading this site for a while now and want to thank all the great posters for their info.

Now on to my question. For Hello Work, I've been searching for jobs only through the Internet, newspapers, etc. I haven't gone to them to search for a job. So am I allowed to leave the first section blank? Or do I put down the Internet sites and newspapers? I have my 2 job contacts so thats ok. I was just wondering if I needed to fill in the first section of how I was searching for jobs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bittercoffee
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: Unemployment insurance

Unread post by bittercoffee » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:27 am

do not wait around for your rishoukuhyou (or whatever). by law, nova is required to give it to you within 10 days of your resigning. call them up and make sure they know that you are aware of this law. i got mine within 10 days because i did exactly that.

redtape07
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:06 pm

Re: Unemployment insurance

Unread post by redtape07 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:08 am

hucards wrote:First off I'd like to say what a great site this is. I've been reading this site for a while now and want to thank all the great posters for their info.

Now on to my question. For Hello Work, I've been searching for jobs only through the Internet, newspapers, etc. I haven't gone to them to search for a job. So am I allowed to leave the first section blank? Or do I put down the Internet sites and newspapers? I have my 2 job contacts so thats ok. I was just wondering if I needed to fill in the first section of how I was searching for jobs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi hucards. I've had two meetings so far and in both of them, I only filled in the 2 contacts at the bottom of the page. One a newspaper and the other Internet. I was told on the HW phoneline before I signed up that they were making exceptions for 'us' in that Internet job hunting would be accepted rather than having to go through their own job search database.

The next problem, of course is, should you actually aquire FT work, the minute you tell them, the benefits stop...or so I was told. If a job doesn't start till later on, that's going to be another financial struggle. :?

hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Unemployment insurance

Unread post by hucards » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:27 pm

redtape07 wrote:
hucards wrote:First off I'd like to say what a great site this is. I've been reading this site for a while now and want to thank all the great posters for their info.

Now on to my question. For Hello Work, I've been searching for jobs only through the Internet, newspapers, etc. I haven't gone to them to search for a job. So am I allowed to leave the first section blank? Or do I put down the Internet sites and newspapers? I have my 2 job contacts so thats ok. I was just wondering if I needed to fill in the first section of how I was searching for jobs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi hucards. I've had two meetings so far and in both of them, I only filled in the 2 contacts at the bottom of the page. One a newspaper and the other Internet. I was told on the HW phoneline before I signed up that they were making exceptions for 'us' in that Internet job hunting would be accepted rather than having to go through their own job search database.

The next problem, of course is, should you actually aquire FT work, the minute you tell them, the benefits stop...or so I was told. If a job doesn't start till later on, that's going to be another financial struggle. :?
Thanks redtape07 for the quick reply.
About the FT work. It does seem that Hello Work has a lot of strange rules. Like if I work 1 day I don't receive benefits for that day, etc. It creates the ultimate "welfare trap" where it deters people from working unless they get a good full time job.

steki47

Re: Unemployment insurance

Unread post by steki47 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah, I got the same run-around about the missing info for November. I tried to explain that there was no info because there was no salary. I left the office with headache and feeling a bit frustrated with my lack of proficiency in Japanese. After 3 weeks of no deposit, I convinced my GF to drive to HW with me. As we were going to HW, they called me to say they deposited the money. 18 days worth. They explained the delay was due to them having to contact the trustees.
All that panic for nothing. Breathed a sigh of relief that day. Next week is my next appointment. Wish me luck!

quato
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:20 am

Re: Unemployment insurance

Unread post by quato » Tue May 05, 2009 9:52 pm

hucards wrote:
redtape07 wrote:Hi hucards. I've had two meetings so far and in both of them, I only filled in the 2 contacts at the bottom of the page. One a newspaper and the other Internet. I was told on the HW phoneline before I signed up that they were making exceptions for 'us' in that Internet job hunting would be accepted rather than having to go through their own job search database.

The next problem, of course is, should you actually aquire FT work, the minute you tell them, the benefits stop...or so I was told. If a job doesn't start till later on, that's going to be another financial struggle. :?
Thanks redtape07 for the quick reply.
About the FT work. It does seem that Hello Work has a lot of strange rules. Like if I work 1 day I don't receive benefits for that day, etc. It creates the ultimate "welfare trap" where it deters people from working unless they get a good full time job.
Does anybody have any experience working parttime or getting a fulltime job while receiving benefits?

At my Hello work they said:
Work less than 20hrs/week 4days/week AND earn less than ¥3225/day.

Luckily the hours/day are unlimited because most places want people to work 4-8hrs. But that means the pay can't be more than ¥806/hr! nopity:

Unfortunately HW also said each situation was case-by-case :bs: and wouldn't be judged until after the fact! :rant:

What if I my benefits are ¥5500/day but I get a job for ¥4000/day (¥775 above the limit)? Would my benefits be reduced just ¥775 or would they be reduced to ¥0? In the latter case I would be losing ¥1500/day! It's almost like they're trying to discourage me from getting a legal job! :willnilly:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests