Unemployment insurance

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
slinki
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by slinki » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:19 pm

allblacks wrote: I would drop the word SAGI (fraud) there and then very loudly.

ABs
so the nova u/sagi was a subtle hint?

johnnybeverage
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by johnnybeverage » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:11 am

scared&lazy wrote: An A40 contract comes out to a notional 29.5 hours per week to avoid the shakai-hoken issue, and they haven't hired on A40 for a few years to the best of my knowledge. Don't want to start a panic, but does this mean we're all screwed?

Thanks
I know three instructors who got UI. One was sacked, one didn't have his contract renewed and one resigned. They all got three months UI. The guy who resigned had to wait three months, of course...

cranky
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by cranky » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:02 am

johnnybeverage wrote:
scared&lazy wrote: An A40 contract comes out to a notional 29.5 hours per week to avoid the shakai-hoken issue, and they haven't hired on A40 for a few years to the best of my knowledge. Don't want to start a panic, but does this mean we're all screwed?

Thanks
I know three instructors who got UI. One was sacked, one didn't have his contract renewed and one resigned. They all got three months UI. The guy who resigned had to wait three months, of course...
could you tell me if the guy was fired recently and how he/she was able to manage such awonderful feat? :o
anders quote "if you don't know answer, don't ask the question"!!!!

johnnybeverage
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by johnnybeverage » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:13 pm

cranky wrote:
johnnybeverage wrote:

Thanks
could you tell me if the guy was fired recently and how he/she was able to manage such awonderful feat? :o
No, sorry. That was his private mtter. What I will tell you is there's no way the same thing would get you fired nowadays!

Guns of Navarone
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Guns of Navarone » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:26 pm

****HELLO WORK UPDATE****

so I went into my local hello work today and we had a thorough chat. the guy I got seemed to know his stuff, assured and competent.
He pulled out a huge manual and went to the section concerning the 2 month rule.
hes what he said.
I can quit as of today and get the UI straight away, because they have failed to pay me on time twice in row. nova must fill out the cessation of employment certificate within 10 days of you requesting it. They can dick you around for 10 days but they must give it too you.
If nova is being stubborn and refuse to write on the form the reason you quit was because of late pay it doesnt matter.
If you can show proof - a correlation between your bank book and your pay slips, the Hello work crew can put two and two together for themselves. Its seems they are on the workers side, things are looking up for change.
Another thing he mentioned is there is a 3 month time limit to quit in this scenario. Sept pay was late and Oct pay was late, if you want to quit and claim the UI based on this case it must be done by Jan even if by miracle you get paid on time in Nov Dec and Jan onwards. Not that its going to happen in this instance but its a general rule, guess it allows workers to ride it out for a while to see if the there are any prospects for recovery even if there is a short term rebound for the company the workers can still split based on the 2 late payments 3 months previously.

so there you have it, Osaka, Tokyo and MM peeps, getting paid on time in Sept was possibly not in your best interests in hindsight.
Regional instructors and T.I's we have options now.

Another guy named Jin
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Another guy named Jin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Question about Hello Work. From what I've been able to gather, there are 3 pieces of paper needed by Hello Work.

1) Your proof of unemployment insurance slip, which you should have received shortly after starting work.
2) Your proof of unemployment paper, which you should receive when you quit.
3) A third paper (forget the name) which Nova is obligated by law to send to Hello Work.

Is this correct?

Cornwalis the Unholy
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Cornwalis the Unholy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:54 pm

Verified by Hello Work Officer in Osaka Chuo branch office as of 16 October 2007 at 10am (At their request, I have posted this information here - they want this information to get out to as many as workers as possible so that they can get assistance processed as quickly as possible)

For those TIs and instructors holding out for UI before quitting.

For those who were paid late last month and are awaiting payment this month, you now qualify to receive UI benefits immediately.

You should now have more then enough proof to get your benefits from the UI office (due to the 2 late payment issues).

1) Copy of the contract stating the payment on a "fixed" day every month.
2) Copy of Welcome to NOVA book which states this fixed day is the 15th
3) Copies of the past 6 months of payslips for fund calculation.
4) Updated bank book showing pay days for the duration of working at nova showing that pay day was the 15th of the month. (Note you can get a statement containing all transactions from the time you opened your account from your bank)
5) Copies of faxes from last month stating pay would be delayed.
6) Copy of this month's fax stating pay will be delayed until the 19th.
7) Bankbook or statement showing that last month's payment was late and this month's payment has yet to be received (e.g. late)
8) Letter of termination from NOVA stating 2 missed payments as a reason for quitting.
9) Hanko
10) Gaijin Card and Passport (to verify visa status)
11) Your UI card (provided from NOVA in your one of your first payslips) - without the original (with hankos - this makes things VERY DIFFICULT, and could delay processing).

12) In addition to this, NOVA has to send a termination notice directly to Hello Work. (If you can also get a copy it can ensure you have all you need to immediately collect insurance)

When handing in your resignation paper, be sure to list all of these documents on the paper so that you receive them and have copies of them to present to the hello work office.

Here is what you should write in the blank section at the top of the Resignation form right below the section for name/date/branch/emp number
REASON FOR LEAVING: Second consecutive delayed payment within a 2 month period.
REQUESTED DOCUMENTATION:
1) 雇用保険被保険者資格喪失届 (こようほけんひほけんしゃしかくそうしつとどけ) Koyou hoken shashikaku soushitsutodoke
2) Copy of 離職証明書(りしょくしょうめいしょ) risho kyshoumeisho
3) Final Tax Certificate
4) Letter of Termination
5) Letter of Work Verification
6) Letter of Release
*Ensure that the the letter of termination indicates reason for resignation is 2 consecutive months of late payment.
And if you lost your UI card
Copy of 雇用保険被保険者証(こようほけんひほけんしゃしょう) Koyouhokenshashou {proof of Unemployment Insurance}

Take these into the hello work office - 7 days later you should receive your appointment to meet with the counselor and your first payment.

Note, it can take up to 17 days to process - 10 days from date of resignation for NOVA to get you the documentation (By law they have to give you this paperwork within 10 working days after your resignation date) and then 7 days for the UI claim to be processed.

You will not have to wait the 90 days to receive payments after quitting because of these circumstances. Additionally, any back pay that NOVA owes you (if the company goes under) will be reimbursed by the government under their social welfare insurance (all workers are covered under this) - claiming UI will not impact this procedure at all as this is a different claim all together.

This information was verified in both Japanese and English with UI counselors at the Hello Work office in Osaka (chuo-ku branch office) as of this morning. Additionally they are in the process of writing up a documentation to present to offset NOVA workers informing them of the documentation (see above) they need to provide to expedite their claims.

For those in Osaka -
http://osaka-rodo.go.jp/hw/gaisen/
http://osaka-rodo.go.jp/kyoku/hello/image/gaisen.jpg

TEL:06-6344-1135 FAX:06-6344-1134
M-F 10:00~18:00

Is the Hello Work office for foreign assistance - they have a lot of English Speakers and is a good place to go to originally get information as well as setting up times to meet with your local branch office plus an interpreter - they can help you through the process.

To get there, get off at the Higashi-Umeda station and go out exit 8 - this will take you under the Osaka Eki Mae Dai 3 building (大阪駅前第三ビル)
follow the signs above to the Dai Ni biru - should be the 2nd or 3rd Right.

Continue down the hall and into the Dai 2 building, once there find the sign for the elevator, should be the first or second left path (its right past the SEGA arcade).

Take the elevator up to the 15th floor, and you are looking for room 1501. Go out of the elevators and take your first left, go around the hall all the way to the end (theres a little map right outside of the elevator look for room 1501.

cranky
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by cranky » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:52 pm

I went to hello work today and was told nova has been late twice with salaries. but if you quit now you won't qualify for 80% of unpaid salary later if nova go bankrupt after your notice period!

this needs to be confirmed, coments please.
anders quote "if you don't know answer, don't ask the question"!!!!

mixberry
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by mixberry » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:12 am

I have a question concerning the Unemployment slip (Rishoku-Hyo) that is issued to an insured person who had paid unemployment insurance.

I was working and thus paying unemployment insurance for 3 years before I joined NOVA.

I went to Hello Work in Shinjuku for a consultation. The woman I consulted with told me via the interpreter that I needed to produce 2 Rishoku-Hyo's (Rishoku-Hyo-ichi) and (Rishoku-Hyo-Ni) from Nova and from my previous employer

I can understand them wanting documents from my previous employer because I have been with NOVA for less than 6 months but I dont understand this Rishoku-Hyo-Ni business. Anyone have a picture of one. I havent seen the term Rishoku-Hyo-Ni mentioned in other posts.

mixberry
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by mixberry » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:14 am

I have a question concerning the Unemployment slip (Rishoku-Hyo) that is issued to an insured person who had paid unemployment insurance.

I was working and thus paying unemployment insurance for 3 years before I joined NOVA.

I went to Hello Work in Shinjuku for a consultation. The woman I consulted with told me via the interpreter that I needed to produce 2 Rishoku-Hyo's (Rishoku-Hyo-ichi) and (Rishoku-Hyo-Ni) from Nova and from my previous employer

I can understand them wanting documents from my previous employer because I have been with NOVA for less than 6 months but I dont understand this Rishoku-Hyo-Ni business. Anyone have a picture of one. I havent seen the term Rishoku-Hyo-Ni mentioned in other posts.

Cornwalis the Unholy
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Cornwalis the Unholy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:02 am

mixberry wrote:I can understand them wanting documents from my previous employer because I have been with NOVA for less than 6 months but I dont understand this Rishoku-Hyo-Ni business. Anyone have a picture of one. I havent seen the term Rishoku-Hyo-Ni mentioned in other posts.
Japanese for numbers:
Ichi - One
Ni - two

In the case above Rishoku-Hyo-Ichi - refers to the "first" proof of UI from the first company. Rishoku-Hyo-Ni - refers to the "second" proof of UI from the second company.

Basically they want to see that you were enrolled at your second job (e.g. they want to see that NOVA enrolled you in UI). You should have 2 almost identical pieces of paper for them - the only difference should be the company's name.

toiletbrush
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by toiletbrush » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:44 am

cranky wrote:I went to hello work today and was told nova has been late twice with salaries. but if you quit now you won't qualify for 80% of unpaid salary later if nova go bankrupt after your notice period!

this needs to be confirmed, coments please.
I suggested this the other day on the big thread and I'm pretty sure it's true. I think the way it works in Japan is that workers owed money who have quit before the company goes bankrupt are considered as "creditors", a bit like the landlords, students etc. who are also owed money. They're all further back in the queue and are not likely to see any money.

On the other hand, employees who are there at the very end are at the right end of the queue and are guaranteed that 80% - although it does take several months and the necessary paperwork to actually come through.

What people need to do is work out the maths of their OWN particular situation and decide what's best for them. People who need a source of income quickly and simply couldn't manage long without regular money coming in are surely going to be better off quitting now and getting their money from HW and/or future new job ASAP, or even going back home. You're writing off your chance of that 80%, but the longer you stay the more money you're writing off and the longer you'll be without your next source of income.

However, anyone who's able to last a while with possibly no money coming in needs to weigh it up a bit more carefully. If, say, you're on Y250,000 a month and you work up till Oct. 19th, then your 80% you'd get several months hence would be over Y300,000. Of course, you gotta weigh that up against potential lost salary from delaying the start of a possible new job, IF you'd be intending to get one within the next few months. But, I know there are quite a few people out there (probably a minority, but a siginificant number nevertheless) who are both able to and intending to have a few months off after Nova to chill, weigh up other options or whatever - for these people, it would make a lot of sense to NOT throw away that guaranteed 80% too hastily.

Personally, I reckon a further complicating factor is likely to be that Saruhashi's going to prolong the agony and they may limp on for a while before being officially bankrupt. But we don't know that yet, and will just have to wait & see.

Hope it works out well for everyone out there, whichever way you decide to play it.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:34 pm

I went to Hello work in Umeda today (Osaka Ekimae building 2, 15th floor). I was told that having a second job can change the amount of unemployment you get. If you're on kokumin kenko hoken or shakai hoken, go to the ward office when Nova goes under and talk to the insurance people.

I took a copy of my contract too, and asked about people paid on the Tuesday and Wednesday in September. The actual wording is like "on or around a fixed date." I asked if getting paid on that Tuesday or Wednesday would be considered late. Their answer was "maybe, it depends on the person." I take this to mean that if you got paid on Tuesday, odds are they won't consider that late. Wednesday could go either way. Also, as others have stated, ensure you have all your paperwork (contract and everything) in order. I was also told that if NOVA refuses to issue the thing when you leave, after some time you can go to Hello Work about it and they'll take care of it.

grillen
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by grillen » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:53 pm

AACE an ex-Nova recruitment office in Melbourne Australia has recently posted information about unemployment benefits and unpaid wages benefits in Japan. If your interested follow the link below:

http://www.aace.net.au/teach/media/Unem ... Oct_2_.pdf

scared&lazy
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Labor Standards Office

Unread post by scared&lazy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 am

Is the Osaka Labor Standards office the same building that the General Union held its demonstration at on the 16th of October. I guess it's up to all of us individually to file our non-payment complaints, I just want to make sure I'm going to the right place before I splash out on luxuries like train fare or shoe leather to get there.

If it isn't, could someone please direct me to the right place? I posted this question in the big thread the other night, but it was pretty late and I think it got crisped in the middle of an ongoing flame war.

Thanks to all

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: Labor Standards Office

Unread post by locutis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:51 am

scared&lazy wrote:Is the Osaka Labor Standards office the same building that the General Union held its demonstration at on the 16th of October. I guess it's up to all of us individually to file our non-payment complaints, I just want to make sure I'm going to the right place before I splash out on luxuries like train fare or shoe leather to get there.

If it isn't, could someone please direct me to the right place? I posted this question in the big thread the other night, but it was pretty late and I think it got crisped in the middle of an ongoing flame war.

Thanks to all
No use going there by yourself,MM peeps did it&could`nt get a consultation,let alone their complaint processed-it took the union,100 pissed-off teachers&the press to get anything submitted properly-if you don't wanna go thru the union,organise a group of ppl to put in complaints,mobs of angry nova ppl make them nervous.
"If you want to build a ship,don't drum up the men to gather wood,divide the work and give orders.Instead,teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea" Antoine de Saint-Exupery

scared&lazy
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: Labor Standards Office

Unread post by scared&lazy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:31 am

No use going there by yourself,MM peeps did it&could`nt get a consultation,let alone their complaint processed-it took the union,100 pissed-off teachers&the press to get anything submitted properly-if you don't wanna go thru the union,organise a group of ppl to put in complaints,mobs of angry nova ppl make them nervous.
Yeah, I know, got the time, just want to punch the slots on the ticket to show that I did what I was supposed to, that's the right office?

mixberry
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by mixberry » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:57 am

If your company havent paid you properly for two months, (in the sense that they havent paid you on time) then you can quit and are eligible for employment. Regarding NOVA a late payment on the 16th of Nov will mean a lot of instructors will qualify for assistance benefits.

The thing I have been trying to find out and cant get a clear answer to is how many days you have to have worked in October(which relates to November pay cheque) for one to be eligible for assistance.

I have worked about 11 days in Oct but I have also called in sick for a number of days also. Will this affect my eligibility to get unemployment.

This didnt really bother me before but I am finding it hard to get a job, i might have to go with this unemployment thing after all.

Should I work a few more days in Oct?

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unemployment Ins

Unread post by locutis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:27 pm

The system is based on having worked for 11 days per month for 6 months(66 days),so that's the math-you may be able to add other work(P/T job,Privates) I would enquire about this personally in a " a friend of mine also works etc." type way,just be aware that as a Government body you must be careful what you say as they will likely take note of any "irregularities"("yeah my friend Tim was an aam at nova but he also worked in a gay S&M bar as a gimp/host,does that count too?")such as any work your work permit does'nt cover-your PAID holidays are also counted,if your nuts enough to have any paid hols left,I`d use em up or use em to "round out" your 11 per month needed days,such as replacing missed or sick days if possible,the 2 remaining "people" at head office(I don't count flemlord as human)seem to be signing off on anything as are most remaining aams(please,if anyone is still acting like a nova-nazi,tell us in the forums!)
"If you want to build a ship,don't drum up the men to gather wood,divide the work and give orders.Instead,teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea" Antoine de Saint-Exupery

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Complaints about non-payment

Unread post by locutis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:49 pm

By all means try to put in a complaint,but everyone should be aware that the investigation of nova&sahashi by the LSO(Labour Standards Office ) began yesterday,with 3 witnesses(unpaid workers)&a bailiff:this process,where the aggrieveed workers side presents it`s case first then the (BOOOOO!) company does is the first stage where they decide if they should prosecute;this may be the 1st time ever they have exercised their Police Powers against a company/CEO.(CreepyEvilOrifice?Corrupt Enraged Onanist?Clearly Emitting Odour?Cancer,Excise,Obliterate)
As well as getting all your paperwork in order(payslips,Unemployment Insurance Card,bank acc#,current contract,etc),you should take the time to fax nova complaining about your non-payment:get your j-staff to hanko it,proving you`ve sent it,keep that,keep a reply/acknowledgement if it appears,DON`T ACCEPT ANYTHING SAID AS HAVING ANY WEIGHT WHATSOEVER.

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Addendum

Unread post by locutis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:54 pm

Just a clarification about "ANYTHING SAID",this means any verbal communication between yourself&nova has NO value,GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING-if someone does'nt want to put it in writing from a Co.,that means they know it can't be,or they don't want it to be,backed up by fact.

scared&lazy
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by scared&lazy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:50 pm

Locutis,
My branch is closed, I'm officially on holidays now, do you think any branch staff hanko would do, or perhaps a registered letter instead of a fax? Thoughts, suggestions?

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Branch gone,Hankos,Hold on!

Unread post by locutis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:13 pm

I will try to put this in a relevant area later,but if someone wants to CnP it please do!
I was reading Of Rice nZen..Blog about your branch disappearing:I`m sure there are those who think thats it,I'm a ronin free to roam,BUT,if YOU have'nt resigned,been fired(Anyone fired except for management in the last 6 months,please tell me!)or been dismissed officially somehow,call nova ask them where to go,worst case scenario,find your nearest school&get a cover sheet done:YOUR NON-WORKING AND DISAPPEARANCE FROM A WORKPLACE WILL EFFECT UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE&BANKRUPTCY WAGES ELIGIBILITY/PAYMENTS.Check the eikawa wiki for nearest branches that should still be open.

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Registered Letters

Unread post by locutis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:17 pm

Registered Letters are not cheap but are the next step,yes:you can & probably should fax it to nova also,keeping the call sheet record&getting an official receipt from the place you paid to fax it from.

Mod
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Mod » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:03 pm

FalconDriver wrote:This information may have been posted before, but here we go again.

Once again, my wife called Hello Work to verify the following:

#1) What if NOVA hasn't actually been paying the Employment Insurance all this time but simply has been making it LOOK like they've been paying it?

Answer: Come to Hello Work and submit as much proof as you can that you were told it had been paid. (Payslips, most likely) It cannot be considered the employee's fault if the employer has been breaking the law.

So, while she didn't come right out and say, "You would qualify", she indicated that people would not be denied benefits automatically if NOVA actually hasn't been paying anyones UI.

#2) If NOVA is not forthcoming with the severance documents, what should we do?

Answer: Again, come to Hello Work with as much information as you possibly can, and we will help you get whatever is missing.

So basically, don't worry about it. :thumbsup:
#1 Seconded. When i went to HW, i asked the dude the same question. He asked to see my payslip then adamantly told me that I would qualify. Almost all of his answers were tabun maybe, and it depends, but he was quite clear on this one that we do qualify.

#2 Also seconded, although it is much easier with the document and you qualify faster.
HANSHIN TIGERS!
今年残念ヤケド、来年絶対勝つよ! :)

We need 1 experienced teacher from each Prefecture to help us start our new private student enterprise. This IS NOT a job offer, merely a suggestion. Please PM me for more Info.

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Don't worry,be happy...

Unread post by locutis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:09 pm

Your experiences at Hello Work will vary from branch to branch-also,if you've been in Japan awhile,you may have been thru the situation where the translator is being kind&helpful but the person who becomes like your case officer want's you to fuck off&die,n vice versa sometimes!(seems frustrated former nova students missed their dream job n sometimes ended up at HelloWank!)
So I would'nt go so far as to say "don`t worry"-if you have all the right paperwork,are patient&punctual,it can be silky-smooth-novas recent media notoriety has helped,too-

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: Don't worry,be happy...

Unread post by locutis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:39 pm

FalconDriver wrote:
locutis wrote:Resistance is futile.
Glad someone has picked up on the irony,but I was aiming for gold.

justdontgo
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by justdontgo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 pm

I was told on a number of occasions that we don't need our unemployment card and just our number. Now I am hearing different. Does anybody really know? Payroll section at nova is not answering their phones

locutis
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

UI

Unread post by locutis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:26 pm

IDEALLY you need your card,then 2nd.best is your UI number,lastly payslips with proof of UI deduction&your katakana name,your katakana name should be on your atm card

justdontgo
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: UI

Unread post by justdontgo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:58 pm

locutis wrote:IDEALLY you need your card,then 2nd.best is your UI number,lastly payslips with proof of UI deduction&your katakana name,your katakana name should be on your atm card
Thanks mate

I haven't got a clue where my card is. I think it got chucked. I do have the number though