The End of Nova Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Unread postby boom boom 331 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Hey there!

what magazine is that??

got to let people, staff, students know about it.
its now only a matter
of WHAT is to come NEXT.
boom boom 331
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby turtle » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Hollis Brown wrote:
I apologise.

But at the end of the day it's just a matter of time before your sky high salary is reduced to JS.

FYI I did 6 years at Nova but quit at the end of August. I got 4 full 15,000 raises, one 10,000 and then nothing at my final contract - My AAM was great but then he left and Mr. Company Man started shafting everyone. Add in a Sunday allowance and 2 late shifts and I was sitting quite handsomely too.

Instead of waiting around and letting all the shit stress me out to the point of not going to work, I took control of my life and just quit.
I have a mortgage, and a kid, and one on the way, but you find that once you've made the jump you force yourself into finding something else.
I ended up making 50,000 less per month in salary, BUT I work only 5 hours a day, NO evenings, NO weekends, get National Holidays off, as well as DOUBLE the paid holidays I was on at Nova. In all the extra time I have I teach private students, meaning my salary is in fact +50,000 a month.

You just have to get off your lazy ass, and take control of your life. Learning the language of the country you are in helps. Especially when you've been here 10 years. You go to an interview and they find out that...well, I wouldnt hire you no matter what the job - it says something about you.

I'd make a bold prediction that anyone holding out for UI and not looking for alternative employment will be FAR WORSE off for about a year after this thing crashes.

Apologies accepted and points well taken. I know the inevitable is coming. And the fact that I am illiterate is not something I am proud of (speak pretty well though). A bit lazy and relying on the wife for that.

I am looking and know that I may get less than ideal. You didn't jump to ALT.... did you get into another private ekaiwa? Just curious.

Respect your points and am trying to work towards where you are. While trying not to lose compensation.......(not UI) figure it would be a nice bonus next summer.
turtle
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby samegasuki » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:08 pm

boom boom 331 wrote:Hey there!

what magazine is that??

got to let people, staff, students know about it.

Yomiuri Weekly
samegasuki
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

No Pay

Unread postby CutYourLosses » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:14 pm

FalconDriver wrote:I feel stupid for posting this, but hey guess what kids? NO PAY in my account.

It wasn't that long ago when this subject was a big deal. Now hardly anyone posts it anymore. NOVA paying salaries? What the hell is THAT? :shock:

No pay here either. Funny because we decided not to work this month thinking we weren't going to see last month's pay check :shock:

I can still remember a co-worker saying when the AT finally got paid 2 weeks late: "Well that's fucking positive isn't it?" :shock: :shock: :shock: DE NILE... not just a river in Egypt.

I really am getting a kick out of Personel, scrambling to explain on the phone why we aren't getting paid on time (with a Nozom fax) when we were assured via Nozom fax that there would be no problem getting paid this month. I can't imagine how they are able to dish out this horseshit... if it was me on the phone and someone called me up I wouldn't be able to do it.
CutYourLosses

Unread postby FalconDriver » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:17 pm

Muteki: Thanks for taking the time to post those pages. A lot of people appreciate it.

Yeah, I've been catching all kinds of flak for calling in sick so much. Their main argument was: "What will you do if NOVA pays us? You'll be out a ton of money."

Ohh...no... RADAR LOCK on MORON PATROL! We're already "out a ton of money".

Strangely, those morons have been quiescent of late. :rotfl:
Anyone get a lock on Saruhashi yet?
FalconDriver
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Tall Tall Tree » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:18 pm

There are several archetypical posters in this thread.

The Dependent:
"I'm just going to stay with Nova until I'm eligible for unemployment and then I'll quit. Hey, does anyone know what I need to do to be eligible for unemployment?"

The Bullshit Rumor Monger:
"My girlfriend's sister told her that a teacher at the MM center overheard that Monkeybridge had been found in his office with his guts spilled on his desk and his head chopped off. Lundquist was his second."

Mr Gullible:
"What? Monkeybridge seppuku'd? That's awesome!"

Dickwaver:
"…Of course, it hardly matters to me now. I quit Nova two years ago and started my own school. I'm making ten times my Nova salary. My wife and seven mistresses are quite satisfied with my sexual performance. Think I should be satisfied with the Gulfstream, or splurge on the Lear?"

The Unionist:
"The Unspecific Union will be having a meeting at Bonkura Hall in Shinjuku Thursday at 8:00 PM. On the agenda will be blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I'm sure you all care very, very much."

The Attack of the Unionist:
"Hey, don't blame us for Nova's downfall! We were just trying to get Nova to adhere to the laws, damn the consequences!"

The Indignant Truant:
"Anyone who doesn't quit or toppatsu is an idiot."

Between a Rock, Etc:
"…But I can't quit! I have a family to feed and clothe, I'll have to lose my accumulated raises and take a pay cut, and despite the fact that I've been here fifteen years, I don't have the skills to do anything else!"

Bored:
"So. Any news? Who's calling sick today? Any new faxes? Someone please talk to me…"

All of the Above:
"sotrry for mu bad psot im a but drubnmk ritght now"
Last edited by Tall Tall Tree on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby PanicInducingGaijin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Muteki wrote:Just went shopping. Guess what I found. It mainly summarises what we already know pretty much.

Good work, but it does add to what we already knew. It makes clear that Roots hasn't returned the 8 million shares because it wasn't paid back by Nova, and it has the president of Roots going on the record and essentially calling out Sahashi as a liar. It also says that Sahashi is in hiding, moving from hotel to hotel in Tokyo. He very well might not be safe at home, and I'm not talking about POd employees.
PanicInducingGaijin
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: New instructor discovers the truth about NOVA

Unread postby CynicalBeyondReason » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:23 pm

ready_to_blow_a_fuse wrote:Feel sorry for him......I don't think he knew a damned thing about the state of the company.

I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest-he's been here a month?? That means he came here just before the first pay delay. Was there anything preventing him in spending half an hour doing some research on all of the reams of readily available information on the internet of the buildup to this in the months before he came? If he didn't do any research about the state of the company and came over, he's an idiot and has no one to blame but himself. If he did the research and still came over here, he's even a bigger idiot who deserves his fate even more.

But I had to laugh at the part where he got all defensive about his video blog as being meant for family and friends only. Yeah, right-that's why you put it on YouTube. So you could keep it private. If he wanted to have private conversations, its called a telephone, or voice chat. But then again, we're talking about a guy that came over here a month ago to work for Nova, so he's obviously none too bright...
CynicalBeyondReason
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby CynicalBeyondReason » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:25 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
Muteki wrote:Just went shopping. Guess what I found. It mainly summarises what we already know pretty much.

Any chance one of you fine Japanese-speaking gents could do a quick translation of the article? It looks quite lengthy, but based on PIG's teasers, sounds damn interesting.
CynicalBeyondReason
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby PanicInducingGaijin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:35 pm

CynicalBeyondReason wrote:

Any chance one of you fine Japanese-speaking gents could do a quick translation of the article? It looks quite lengthy, but based on PIG's teasers, sounds damn interesting.

I don't have time to do much more than that, but if anyone does decide to do a full-on translation (Shawn?), that person could omit at least a third of it, the parts that recap the METI sanction, etc.
PanicInducingGaijin
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Seeker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:36 pm

A friend just emailed me and said that Saruhashi has been arrested. (he heard this from somebody who heard it from somebody etc etc.) Has anyone heard this rumor?

Sorry for posting something which is most likely not true.
uso+sagi=USAGI
Seeker
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby Wage Slave » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:42 pm

Seeker wrote:A friend just emailed me and said that Saruhashi has been arrested. (he heard this from somebody who heard it from somebody etc etc.) Has anyone heard this rumor?

You're OK. I don't find this particular rumour annoying at all :-). Could read it all day and night quite happily.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Eisho » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:43 pm

Hollis Brown wrote:
turtle wrote:
Hollis Brown wrote:
turtle wrote:RE: staff :arrow: I'd make a bold prediction that anyone holding out for UI and not looking for alternative employment will be FAR WORSE off for about a year after this thing crashes.

I quit Nova about 2 1/2 years ago when the first signs of demise started to really appear. I got UI but something everyone on this board planning this route should be aware of is that Hello Work are going to expect you to be actively looking for work while claiming. They expect you to be sending resumes and going to job interviews and will happily try and hook you up with whatever jobs float through their database, however crap they are (even in comparison to Nova).

Eisho
Eisho

Unread postby PanicInducingGaijin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:43 pm

Seeker wrote:A friend just emailed me and said that Saruhashi has been arrested. (he heard this from somebody who heard it from somebody etc etc.) Has anyone heard this rumor?

Nothing about it anywhere in the Japanese media or even on 2channel, which means it's not even officially a rumor at this point. Wish it were true, but ...
PanicInducingGaijin
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby ready_to_blow_a_fuse » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:46 pm

ready_to_blow_a_fuse wrote:Feel sorry for him......I don't think he knew a damned thing about the state of the company.

I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest-he's been here a month?? That means he came here just before the first pay delay. Was there anything preventing him in spending half an hour doing some research on all of the reams of readily available information on the internet of the buildup to this in the months before he came? If he didn't do any research about the state of the company and came over, he's an idiot and has no one to blame but himself. If he did the research and still came over here, he's even a bigger idiot who deserves his fate even more.

But I had to laugh at the part where he got all defensive about his video blog as being meant for family and friends only. Yeah, right-that's why you put it on YouTube. So you could keep it private. If he wanted to have private conversations, its called a telephone, or voice chat. But then again, we're talking about a guy that came over here a month ago to work for Nova, so he's obviously none too bright...

Yeah, I had a laugh at that too. Make the damned videos private on Youtube, and then you'll have no problems. :roll:
ready_to_blow_a_fuse
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby gekikara26 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 pm

NOVA shares down to 34, at one stage down to 33. If they stay down its good night and the Monkey has left the building!!!
gekikara26
gekikara26
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread postby Burly. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 pm

Nothing about it anywhere in the Japanese media or even on 2channel, which means it's not even officially a rumor at this point. Wish it were true, but ...

It was started on 2ch last night and everyone here has been wishing it true ever since.
Burly.

Unread postby dg » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:51 pm

Eisho, perhaps you could tell us a little more about your hello work experiences. Ive heard you need to apply to about 3 jobs a month to qualify, is this true? Also while im learning japanese, my level is nowhere near good enough to get a normal job so I'm guessing they'll struggle to match me with anything on their own, leaving me to study in relative peace for 3 months, am I being delusional? And one more question, does unemployment money stop the second you get a new job or when your wages hit the bank?

Thanks for any info you can give.
dg
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby Masked Rider » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:51 pm

ready_to_blow_a_fuse wrote:

Yeah, I had a laugh at that too. Make the damned videos private on Youtube, and then you'll have no problems. :roll:

He's a dumbass, alright. I couldn't stand watching it after that part, because I quickly became sick of his tired whining and bullshit rationale. Good for a laugh, though.

edit for spelling.
Masked Rider
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread postby Seeker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm

Burly wrote:

It was started on 2ch last night and everyone here has been wishing it true ever since.

I see. Thanks.
uso+sagi=USAGI
Seeker
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby ex_sensei » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:58 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:I don't understand your post, and I would very much like to.

By "poison pill" do you meant that the warrants are intended to head off a hostile takeover bid? With Sahashi in control of 70% of the shares, it doesn't seem possible to begin with. (Nor can I understand why anyone would want to buy Nova right now in the first place.)

Someone who knows what this means (ex_sensei, lord blackadder, etc.), please explain.

No! BOOM BOOM BOOM was right: It's a poison pill to have the instructors resign. It has nothing to do with a hostile takeover bid.
Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.
ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Masked Rider » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:58 pm

Seeker wrote:
Burly wrote:

I see. Thanks.

You know it's fake, because nothing happens that quickly in Japan. If he ever is arrested, don't expect it to happen for several more months or years. And I hear Japanese prison is like Club Med. I bet they get shiatsu massages and hot springs. Anyway, the whole rumor sprung forth from a cartoon someone on 2ch made up, and nobody took it seriously on that side.
Masked Rider
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread postby PanicInducingGaijin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:10 pm

ex_sensei wrote:No! BOOM BOOM BOOM was right: It's a poison pill to have the instructors resign. It has nothing to do with a hostile takeover bid.

Thanks for the clarification. That's not a poison pill then.

The rumor about the "unemployment kit" came up earlier in the thread, IIRC.

Masked Rider wrote:You know it's fake, because nothing happens that quickly in Japan. If he ever is arrested, don't expect it to happen for several more months or years. And I hear Japanese prison is like Club Med.

Although I don't believe the "rumor" at all, the police certainly hauled Livedoor's Horie well before everything hit the fan.

You also might want to google "Japanese prisons" and read some of the stuff that turns up.
PanicInducingGaijin
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby lex » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:10 pm

dg wrote:Eisho, perhaps you could tell us a little more about your hello work experiences. Ive heard you need to apply to about 3 jobs a month to qualify, is this true? Also while im learning japanese, my level is nowhere near good enough to get a normal job so I'm guessing they'll struggle to match me with anything on their own, leaving me to study in relative peace for 3 months, am I being delusional? And one more question, does unemployment money stop the second you get a new job or when your wages hit the bank?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Hello work has eikaiwa jobs on the database too - Amity has ads on it but the salary seemed to be much lower than I'd have expected - not that I was interested- but it was 180,000 full-time! Also, some juku and japanese schools advertise for english speakers - not nec. natives but according to Hello Work, we can apply for any job we like and they can't discriminate against foreigners. I managed to get through the full 4 months (the way they work it it's not 3 full month payments, the first and 4th are partial payments in line with the way they start and count the dates at the beginning) without applying for a single job or going for an interview by feigning interest when they showed me the poorly paid jobs and telling them I knew of a website in english that was easier to navigate and had more offerings....I also fibbed and said I went to 2 interviews and was undecided.
Personally, I would just try to get another job - the process strings itself out for almost 6 months (for just 3 months payment) and I didn't feel comfortable pretending I was looking for another job when I wasn't. Certainly if you need a job once the benefits run out then if you all wait till you can get unemployment benefits then of course you will all be looking for other jobs at the same time when the benefits run out - chances of getting a job then will be slim to none.
I went through the process as I had no intention of getting a job but if I were in the situation now that many of you are in with a family and financial obligations then I would get a job NOW - even if the salary were back down to 250,000 - that's the eikaiwa life you have chosen. If you can get a better job - great. If all you can get is ALT with Interact - take it. You can try and get out of that one but at least you will be employed with a salary coming in. Privates can make up the difference.
lex
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread postby Mogura » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:15 pm

Is this the proof you are looking for?

Image[/i]
Mogura
Porn Lord
Porn Lord

Unread postby dg » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:16 pm

Thanks lex, helpful info.
dg
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby Hollis Brown » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Apologies accepted and points well taken. I know the inevitable is coming. And the fact that I am illiterate is not something I am proud of (speak pretty well though). A bit lazy and relying on the wife for that.

I am looking and know that I may get less than ideal. You didn't jump to ALT.... did you get into another private ekaiwa? Just curious.

Respect your points and am trying to work towards where you are. While trying not to lose compensation.......(not UI) figure it would be a nice bonus next summer.

No I didnt jump to ALT because there is no career progression there and your salary is more or less stagnant. Im here for the long term and need to put 2 kids through school so that was a no starter.

I found a quite reputable company that wanted help setting up an in house English department. I was more than happy to oblige! I now do some English seminars, lessons, proof reading etc etc for them as and when required. On average I work 5 hours a day, but sometimes more and sometimes less.

There is a whole different world outside Nova. It is well worth a 50,000 a month pay cut to find that out.

As I said before, you can easily make up even 100,000 a month in privates if you take a job with a lower salary but a lot of free time.
Hollis Brown
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby turtle » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:28 pm

Hollis Brown wrote:

No I didnt jump to ALT because there is no career progression there and your salary is more or less stagnant. Im here for the long term and need to put 2 kids through school so that was a no starter.

I found a quite reputable company that wanted help setting up an in house English department. I was more than happy to oblige! I now do some English seminars, lessons, proof reading etc etc for them as and when required. On average I work 5 hours a day, but sometimes more and sometimes less.

There is a whole different world outside Nova. It is well worth a 50,000 a month pay cut to find that out.

As I said before, you can easily make up even 100,000 a month in privates if you take a job with a lower salary but a lot of free time.

thanks for the answer. That's what I would like to find. My occasional stints editing are far more interesting than trying to entertain housewives. Will keep searching!!
turtle
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby Hollis Brown » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Just received an email from a friend who told me he has just been given his payslip from the staff. Obviously he also confirmed that the money isn't in the bank.

Is that legal??

How can they even produce/print/send the payslips out if the funds aren't there to match the numbers on the forms??
Hollis Brown
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Union Email

Unread postby MMPurpleTag » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Sorry, long time reader, first time poster:

Hope you find this useful. It's an email I just recieved from the general union.

"To ALL NOVA teachers and staff:

Things are moving quickly at NOVA these days. Here is our latest update.

Please print and post our email to your coworkers.

1. PROTEST at the Labour Standards Office

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 16 at 10:00 - gather at Morinomiya Stn. (JR or Chuo Line) exit 7B.

We will be making demands to the Labour Standards Office to prosecute NOVA for unpaid wages or to pay all outstanding wages immediately. We have been quite successful in our actions using this office and we were able to make NOVA pay the titled teachers last month. We have filed a claim against unpaid wages for the staff and the Labour Standards Office has issued an order to NOVA to not delay wages.

NOVA still hasn’t paid the staff and they are again late with the teachers’ salaries, this is why we will now ask for prosecution.

If you want to protest, the best place is the Labour Standards Office to support our demands for prosecution or the immediate payment of wages.

2. OPEN MEETINGS for NOVA teachers and staff:

The General Union will be holding 3 public meetings on Monday, October 22.
Two meetings are open to both staff and teachers. The third will be for
students.

10:30am - Open to staff and teachers

2pm - Open to staff and teachers

6:30pm - ONLY open to students. The GU will be inviting a lawyer to discuss
consumer rights.

3. VERY IMPORTANT FOR THOSE WHO ARE MOVING

If, as feared, NOVA goes bankrupt, under the government Wage Protection
Fund, 80% of owed salaries are recoverable. The payment will not be
immediate and can possibly take between 6-12 months. With this in mind, it
is important that the receivers are able to keep in contact with you.

If you move house, they will not go out of their way to locate you. In the
case of bankruptcy, the union is able to provide the receivers with your
contact details.

If you change your residence we ask that you send as email to nova@generalunion.org.
with your name, employee number, branch, both old and new addresses, and
telephone numbers.

4. BEING EVICTED

Please call us at 06-6352-9619 if you have been given an eviction notice.

5. JOINING THE UNION

We hope that those who will be remaining in Japan join the union. It’s easy to see why a union is necessary in this industry so we do invite you all to join.

We understand that paying union dues will be difficult for NOVA teachers and staff at the moment so the General Union Executive Committee has passed the following new dues policy for NOVA teachers and staff.

Joining as of 14 October: 1,000YEN per month until you get a new job.

Joined prior to 14 October: FREE until you get a new job.

THIS POLICY WILL BE REVIEWED IN THE THREE MONTHS

You can join the union by visiting this link http://www.generalunion.org/join/.

If you wish to pay your union dues using paypal, please call the union office.

Sincerely,

Dennis Tesolat

General Union, General Secretary"
MMPurpleTag
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

PreviousNext

Return to Eikaiwa