The End of Nova Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 pm

みなごろし wrote: the BM seemed to think that todays news might be good in the long run for people getting pay..and hes a pretty realistic guy who is on th ball..hes mostly pissed because he had planned to quit on Monday when staff could officially get UI and now he has to wait...
Do you all NOT see the lack of coincidence?

The V.I. warrant deal going into effect, the last chance to pay staff before they can claim unemployment and quit en masse, and the day Nova decides to shut its doors and beg for cash from the government.

ALL in the sapce of 2 days?

The long-ago promises to pay bonuses in October.

All the staff who wanted to quit completely legally and get UI, are once again FUCKED OVER BY NOVA, in the last remaining move. Now they are still trapped in no-pay limbo? Can they still get UI, or will the Labor Office take a "wait-and-see" attitude (This is Japan, land of wait-and-see-and-do-jackshit, what do you think?)

I don't know what to believe.
Either Nova is super-evil and has planned this all out in advance.
Or Nova is super-incompetent and it's all a coincidence.

And I'll beleive Monkeybridge is no longer pulling the strings only after he's in jail.
Last edited by Level3 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

clubrabbits
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by clubrabbits » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 pm

[quote="Mangaanimejpopsamurismap"]All I am saying is that Mr Saruhashi is a human being and we all make errors from time to time.
From the christian point of view we have to forgive, even those that have wronged us.
What a great time for self realization and ego dissolution

Now I wait.....[/quote]

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Pabloski
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Pabloski » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 pm

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap wrote:Apologies all round.
Apologies accepted.

Want to brighten your day? Read the NOVA art thread, or the Loony bin student thread, or my "naughty things I did as a teacher" thread. Theres some good shit there.
What do you get if you cross Flemming with Anders? FLANDERS!!!! "well hello diddly doo coworker! Still waiting for the casharoony to come a diddly dopping pingin and a poppin its way into your bank account? Well a dont be a diddly widdly worrying! New NOVA will take care of everything! or my name aint Lundquist! "

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:04 pm

I forgive you :D

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:05 pm

Want to brighten your day? Read the NOVA art thread, or the Loony bin student thread, or my "naughty things I did as a teacher" thread. Theres some good shit there.[/quote]

I read through it before as I`ve got time on my side. Very funny :D

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:10 pm

Instructors are being summonsed to branches - a message will be broadcast on the Ginganet at 5.30

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:11 pm

fumanchu wrote:Instructors are being summonsed to branches - a message will be broadcast on the Ginganet at 5.30
All branches?

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:12 pm

Japandy wrote:
fumanchu wrote:Instructors are being summonsed to branches - a message will be broadcast on the Ginganet at 5.30
All branches?
I guess so

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm

fumanchu wrote:
Japandy wrote:
All branches?
I guess so
I thought they sent off the keys to Osaka?

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:14 pm

Japandy wrote:
fumanchu wrote:
Japandy wrote: All branches?
I guess so
Yeah - maybe they do that at the end of the day? I'm confused myself.

Udderlymoo
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Udderlymoo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:15 pm

Mormons, Nazis, KKK, Conspiracies...

What a bunch of drama queens :P

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:15 pm

fumanchu wrote:
Japandy wrote:
fumanchu wrote: I guess so
Yeah - maybe they do that at the end of the day? I'm confused myself.
Did you get a message from your branch or it is a general message aimed at everyone?

Masked Rider
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Masked Rider » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:15 pm

What kind of message? My guess is it will be Saruhashi laughing his ass off for 10 minutes as he counts 10,000 yen bills he embezzled from accounts payable.

Monkeynuts
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Location: Sitting comfortably,watching the evil empire's demise and resurrection.

Unread post by Monkeynuts » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Just been told from a staff who spoke to her manager that there's some kinda meeting happening at Tenjin,Fukuoka at 1730 today. Maybe Monkeyfuck will appear and we can show the Japanese that we really are all criminals by violently assaulting him!
If staffs smile,students will smile,teachers will smile,and visitors will smile. And then we will always achieve our targets!!

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Masked Rider wrote:And now the eikaiwa industry realizes that they can screw around teachers however they want and get away with it -- thanks to all the teachers who continued going to work, even after their payday was delayed for the second time. I was shocked this morning when I discovered that all the schools were closed, because at this point I think the staff and teachers coming in were completely devoid of any self worth and would have kept their branches limping along for several more weeks, at least.
Exactly,
All this "I want to look like a good little gaijin" BS excuse never factored in the "I actually AM looking like a sucker who'll work for no pay for almost 2 months, tolerate getting evicted from my company apartment, and then end up slinking home."

Thanks a lot. Although we could also blame the teachers who kept working at all the other eikaiwas that had long unpaid deaths.

Well, GABA management is certainly smiling. And so are the small chains.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:17 pm

Message from my branch. Maybe its a trap.... :shock:

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:19 pm

monkeynuts wrote:Just been told from a staff who spoke to her manager that there's some kinda meeting happening at Tenjin,Fukuoka at 1730 today. Maybe Monkeyfuck will appear and we can show the Japanese that we really are all criminals by violently assaulting him!
A bunch of hungry, desperate diehards clamouring for vision around a solitary ancient computer that operates in slow motion.

This scene could be happening at 5.30 all around the country?

A farcical and quite probably appropriate finish.

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Maybe the hungry branch managers are luring in the gaijin to trick them one last time, ambush them and steal their wallets...

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:25 pm

fumanchu wrote:Message from my branch. Maybe its a trap.... :shock:
Any information worth communicating will be done via the website. Use an on-line translator if necessary, but I personally do not trust Nova or some of the staff at this point. They don't really know what is going on either, and I'd be very suspicious of it all.

I will not personally set a toe into a Nova school until they pay me my unpaid salary. And even then, it wouldn't be to work for them even if they are magically resurrected from the dead.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:27 pm

fumanchu wrote:Maybe the hungry branch managers are luring in the gaijin to trick them one last time, ambush them and steal their wallets...
I doubt they would be big enough to overpower a gaijin. More likely they are desperate for money and are offering "themselves" for cash!

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:27 pm

whatever wrote:
Any information worth communicating will be done via the website. Use an on-line translator if necessary, but I personally do not trust Nova or some of the staff at this point. They don't really know what is going on either, and I'd be very suspicious of it all.

I will not personally set a toe into a Nova school until they pay me my unpaid salary. And even then, it wouldn't be to work for them even if they are magically resurrected from the dead.
Thats a good point - its not worth the bus fare

strongbad
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by strongbad » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:27 pm

It probably isn't though. :wink:

Mod
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Mod » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:28 pm

Im not really friendly with the J-staff due to soliciting students, encouraging them to cancel contracts and not showing up for a month, so i can't confirm this....
BUT

I though that the staffs pay was late the month before last (well, technically last month isn't late as they still haven't gotten it). Im 90% sure that the Salary on August 27th was a week late, and sep 27th still hasn't come. They could already have quit and got UI.... no?
HANSHIN TIGERS!
今年残念ヤケド、来年絶対勝つよ! :)

We need 1 experienced teacher from each Prefecture to help us start our new private student enterprise. This IS NOT a job offer, merely a suggestion. Please PM me for more Info.

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:30 pm

Mod wrote:Im not really friendly with the J-staff due to soliciting students, encouraging them to cancel contracts and not showing up for a month, so i can't confirm this....
BUT

I though that the staffs pay was late the month before last (well, technically last month isn't late as they still haven't gotten it). Im 90% sure that the Salary on August 27th was a week late, and sep 27th still hasn't come. They could already have quit and got UI.... no?
Yeah - they could have after the second late payment seems to be the general consensus. Now they can't quit.

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:32 pm

Mod wrote:Im not really friendly with the J-staff due to soliciting students, encouraging them to cancel contracts and not showing up for a month, so i can't confirm this....
BUT

Yes, many could have.

The only thing I can imagine happening is that they were hoping (or praying) for payment of their bonuses. I don't know if bonuses are eligible for a pay-out or not, but for some that is why they even bothered to come to work. Their regular salary is not that much. That was why many acted like vultures in the sales department.

In the end, though, they are human. I think, like Instructors, there were great individuals at Nova and there were not so great ones. I wish them all the best.

Eisho

Re: Fukuoka instructors

Unread post by Eisho » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:32 pm

clubrabbits wrote:To Fukuoka Instructors:
Osaka Hello Work suggested all instructors eligible for UI should get together and go in to Hello Work (presumably so they can use a translator). If anyone wants to meet to organise a time to go to Hello Work together please PM me and I can get my gf to call and make an appointment. Monday is probably a good day.
This is going back a couple of years but there used to be a girl in Hello Work in the branch near Akasaka that could speak English. She was there every Wednesday.

A question for any Kyushu instructors: is Cunt John Eatherly still with (or, now, was he with) the company?

Eisho

went2shopping
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by went2shopping » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:39 pm

ander's family history:

...with eyebrows like that who would have guessed?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7062415.stm
Last edited by went2shopping on Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
show me the monkey...bridge. fuk'n scumbag.

anders pic:

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/1ce325c9d9.jpg

anders family history:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7062415.stm

mulluk
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by mulluk » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:41 pm

Apologies if this has already been posted, don't have time to re-read (Working today!) but here's a link to the story on Nova's bankruptcy filing this morning.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... jGYXuEfFVM
Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha. The point I'm trying to make is, YOU'RE HAVING A FUCKING LAUGH.

Monkeynuts
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Location: Sitting comfortably,watching the evil empire's demise and resurrection.

Unread post by Monkeynuts » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Maybe Monkeyfuck in his evilness(fuck I sound like Dubya) has decided to order the staff to pay teachers their wages in kind! Staff being staff will probably obey. There were some pretty hot staff around too,might be a plan! Orgies in the voice room,sounds like the best plan to come out of Nova for a while.
If staffs smile,students will smile,teachers will smile,and visitors will smile. And then we will always achieve our targets!!

Long Termer
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Bankrupt

Unread post by Long Termer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Sorry... since I have to work all day it's impossible to read all these posts... has any one else read that Nova actually filed for bankrupcy today???
The monster is dead...