The End of Nova Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Rokerite
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Rokerite » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:22 pm

This is an e-mail from the union.

FWC members, NOVA filed for bankruptcy this morning, throwing thousandsof teachers and staff out of work. Nambu will be holding a press conference this afternoon atthe Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare, at 5pm today.NOVA members and interested observers should meet in frontof the Ministry at 4:45 pm TODAY (Friday, October 26.) Kasumigaseki Station (Marunouchi and Chiyoda lines) Map to Ministry:http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/org/map/index.html An open meeting for NOVA employees will be held on Sunday,October 28, at 7pm at NUGW Nambu headquarters inShimbashi, to discuss bankruptcy procedures related tounpaid wages, employment insurance, and future unionaction. For map, seewww.nambufwc.org In solidarity, Catherine CampbellNUGW Tokyo Nambu080-5644-3300

sadpanda
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by sadpanda » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap wrote:My friend is here on a working holiday visa?
What can he do?
He will not get UI and cannot be sponsered for a work visa.
Either.. find a new job or go home.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:23 pm

novawhiz wrote:wonder how long it will be until a japanese paper interviews a student that says "they fucking sold me 1,400 points the day before they declared bankruptcy!!!!"
The Japanese media-- print and TV-- was so far fucking behind the curve on this story from the start. The NOVA collapse unfolded like a slo-mo boxing match video; you can't even call it journalism. Now they'll be tripping overthemselves to 'get the story out'.

To a lot of you: The best journalism that happened during this saga was on this thread at LJ where the diligent posted faxes, translations, verified talk from the inside, shared anecdotal evidence, offered wise opinion, etc.. I love this country, but their concept of 'journalism' is an abomination.

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:23 pm

In Japan there is no real respect for the unemployed and there`s not alot of care for how you got there.
Please try and maintain your dignity when confronting anyone about your sitiuation or when in public. They now think you are a threat for more crime as you have no income and will be more than ready to be there when you fall to confirm their ingrained beliefs you should not be here.
Many will be counting their blessings that Japan will have less foreigners so be on your best behaviour and try to change the sour mood.

みなごろし
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by みなごろし » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:25 pm

just got back from collecting all my stuff from my branch...

saw the long fax that was sent to branch managers...

so yeah as ppl have said nova is going to be COMPLETELY shut
down....if ya need ya UI number then call ASAP..

but the fax said that from today you cant quit anyway so you will
have to wait until the 5th no matter what...there are no people
that are allowed to take your resignation..

branch staff are not allowed to answer the phone as the shut up shop.

the BM seemed to think that todays news might be good in the long run for people getting pay..and hes a pretty realistic guy who is on th ball..hes mostly pissed because he had planned to quit on Monday when staff could officially get UI and now he has to wait...

anyway...best of luck to all...

i really need the money that is owed to me...lol
i just want my money..

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:25 pm

mrgazpacho wrote:
Zola wrote:TWhy would anyone with a Masters degree work at GABA for 1400yen an hour.
Beats not working at NOVA for nothing an hour...
Precisely. :wink:

Masked Rider
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Masked Rider » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:27 pm

And now the eikaiwa industry realizes that they can screw around teachers however they want and get away with it -- thanks to all the teachers who continued going to work, even after their payday was delayed for the second time. I was shocked this morning when I discovered that all the schools were closed, because at this point I think the staff and teachers coming in were completely devoid of any self worth and would have kept their branches limping along for several more weeks, at least.

SkyTripper
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

WHO OWNs NOVA NOW

Unread post by SkyTripper » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:27 pm

The "Board of Directors" stated that Sahashi's shares are now 1/4 and they don't know who owns the rest?????? They don't know who the MAJOR shareholder is of the company? The "Directors" should be fired too.

They probably fired Sahashi because he was leading their asses to prison with his shady stock deal. If any of those warrants were actually redeemed with BVI funny money, Sahashi and the directors would face charges by the vigilant Japanese Securities watchdogs who were certainly on notice.

What chance is there of a restructure?.....FORGET IT

The FAT LADY's song was sweet but I'm waiting for the encore dedicated to Sahashi and all his dunces from Directors to ATs.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
Alexander Hamilton

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:34 pm

I don`t think it was Mr Saruhashi`s fault as he truely believed in the company.
He has tried his best to make sure everyone knows whats happening in a timely fashion.
At least he had the good intention to make NOVA a great and succesful company in the beginning.

I`ve heard from a friend that the reason he wasn`t able to go to the meeting or write faxes was because he has a cold.

Let`s all give him the benefit of the doubt for a change.

Now I wait..........

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap wrote:I don`t think it was Mr Saruhashi`s fault as he truely believed in the company.
He has tried his best to make sure everyone knows whats happening in a timely fashion.
At least he had the good intention to make NOVA a great and succesful company in the beginning.

I`ve heard from a friend that the reason he wasn`t able to go to the meeting or write faxes was because he has a cold.

Now I wait..........
Wum?

Masked Rider
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Masked Rider » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap wrote:I don`t think it was Mr Saruhashi`s fault as he truely believed in the company.

Now I wait..........
The punchline is in there somewhere, right? Someone help me. Did I miss it?

The Admiral
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by The Admiral » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:37 pm

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap wrote: Let`s all give him the benefit of the doubt for a change.
I think most people would be more willing to give him the benefit of a punch in the face or a kick in the jatz crackers.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:38 pm

Now I wait..........
Ummm... prepare to be flamed severely from all sides. :wink:

Pabloski
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: DJ name

Unread post by Pabloski » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:39 pm

[quote="locutis] Actually,I wanna get Pablowskis Uber-monkey pic&rant on a tee,who's with me?[/quote]
You mean this one?
SaruNazi: GOTT IN HIMMEL! Eva! Eva! Kommen sie hier! Dat dumpkopffen traitor Von Anders unt Von Watanabe have blitzfucked me! It seems ve cannot trust anyone zese days! Do they know ze verabouts of zis bunker?! Gott in Himmel! I vill haf to launch my secret veapon! Zi V2Usagi! I vill blow zem all to ze kingdom come! Do you haf zi cyanide pills?

Eva: Nein.

SaruNazi: 9?! I zink 1 vill be enough.

Sorry dude, I got copywright on that one.
Well...
Oh alright. You can make the t-shirt. Just make sure to send me one, ok?
What do you get if you cross Flemming with Anders? FLANDERS!!!! "well hello diddly doo coworker! Still waiting for the casharoony to come a diddly dopping pingin and a poppin its way into your bank account? Well a dont be a diddly widdly worrying! New NOVA will take care of everything! or my name aint Lundquist! "

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Nah. Its not worth it now. The company is as spent as four teenage boys at a fill-the-bottle-with ya-cream party.

Why bother. We all know...

Im gonna cruise by my old branch on the way home. Called em at 10 to see if someone was there. No answer of course.

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:42 pm

All I am saying is that Mr Saruhashi is a human being and we all make errors from time to time.
From the christian point of view we have to forgive, even those that have wronged us.
What a great time for self realization and ego dissolution

Now I wait.....

Pabloski
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Pabloski » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:42 pm

In The Know wrote:

Now I wait..........
Ummm... prepare to be flamed severely from all sides. :wink:
I think this post is laced with 6inch thick sarcasm. Oh god, at least I hope so.
What do you get if you cross Flemming with Anders? FLANDERS!!!! "well hello diddly doo coworker! Still waiting for the casharoony to come a diddly dopping pingin and a poppin its way into your bank account? Well a dont be a diddly widdly worrying! New NOVA will take care of everything! or my name aint Lundquist! "

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Now I wait..........
....... to see who gets confused, who goes ballistic and who gets the sarcasm.

Walking a very fine, razor-edge line there my friend.
But dark humor is good!!!
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

Pabloski
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Pabloski » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap wrote:All I am saying is that Mr Saruhashi is a human being and we all make errors from time to time.
From the christian point of view we have to forgive, even those that have wronged us.
What a great time for self realization and ego dissolution

Now I wait.....
OH MY GOD, THE GUY/GIRL IS FUCKING SERIOUS. YOU ARE A MORMON, ARENT YOU? YOU MUST BE. OH BEJESUS! HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD SAVE US FROM THIS MISGUIDED SOUL!

Guess my post is a mixture of irony and hypocricy....

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:45 pm

It is, it`s true. I`m very sorry.

But my friend told me that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

"Really" I said. "No honestly, really. I haven`t ever heard that"

Another guy named Jin
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Another guy named Jin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:45 pm

みなごろし wrote:anyway...best of luck to all...

i really need the money that is owed to me...lol
i just want my money..
Yeah, good luck to us all. We're likely to see UI in the near future, but the matter of unpaid wages is another question. I just called the Tokyo Labor Standards Office and was told that due to the size of Nova, whether the Gov't will cover the owed wages hasn't been decided yet.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap wrote:Now I wait.....
brain transplants are not yet a medical reality, although through therapy and intervention... maybe a 12-step program for recovering NOVAholics, perhaps.

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:46 pm

I`m really not at all fond of Saruhashi.
Just trying to brighten my own sorry day :o

akane20
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Unread post by akane20 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:47 pm

I feel like im reading a chat room conversation since everytime i refresh 10-20 more posts pop up ^_^ Why doesnt this message board have a chat? might be interesting to say the least

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:52 pm

When students realize there are no refunds coming-- at least in their lifetime-- and those that bought more tickets within the past 60 days realize they have been financially castrated, a new katakana word will enter Japan's lexicon:

goingu posuto-ru. (going postal) :evil:

There are now more than a few Kenji's and Megumi's plotting, stalking and seeking revenge on the J-Staff that fucked them over with a smile.

How many NOVA suit lapel pins from AAMs and above will find their way to eBay? I know I wouldn't want to wear one in public now. That image is now as welcome as the Confederate flag in a Harlem nightclub.

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:54 pm

[size=18]....... to see who gets confused, who goes ballistic and who gets the sarcasm.

Walking a very fine, razor-edge line there my friend.
But dark humor is good!!![/quote]
[/size]
Dark humor is all I have left.
I used to smile and enjoy Japan :(

Monkeynuts
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Location: Sitting comfortably,watching the evil empire's demise and resurrection.

Unread post by Monkeynuts » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap wrote:I`m really not at all fond of Saruhashi.
Just trying to brighten my own sorry day :o
Wrong place dude! You'd be better off walking into Harlem at Halloween dressed as a fuckin KKK member!
If staffs smile,students will smile,teachers will smile,and visitors will smile. And then we will always achieve our targets!!

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 pm

http://osaka.yomiuri.co.jp/news/20071026p103.htm

This says that a tie up is being considered between Aeon, Yahoo, Marui and Rakuten. They are said to be in negotiations now.
NOVA、4社に支援打診へ
 ◆イオン・丸井・ヤフー・楽天

英会話学校最大手のNOVA(統括本部・大阪市)が、経営再建に向けた支援企業(スポンサー)候補として、流通大手のイオンと丸井、IT(情報技術)大手のヤフーと楽天の計4社との交渉を検討していることが、26日明らかになった。月内にも4社に打診するとみられるが、当面の運転資金などのめどが立っていないことから交渉期間は限られており、前向きな反応を示した企業から優先的に交渉を進めるとみられる。

関係者によると、4社のうち丸井については、25日深夜に解任された猿橋(さはし)望・前社長が主導して資本・業務提携の交渉を進め、今年5月には最終調印寸前までいった。結局、猿橋氏の反対で破談となったが、クレジット販売で最大手でもある丸井は、NOVAの受講生が借り入れるクレジットローンの取り扱いに強い関心を示していたという。

イオンについては、ショッピングセンターなどの中に、NOVAや、幼児向けのNOVAキッズの教室が数多く出店しており、以前から関係が深い。特にNOVAキッズは、子供を預けている間に親が買い物できるため、「滞在時間を延ばすために有効」という評価もある。イオンとこれまで交渉がなかったのは、同社の岡田元也社長が猿橋氏の経営手法を嫌っていたためとされ、NOVAは猿橋氏解任で交渉を進める環境は整ったとみている。

一方、IT2社は、インターネット上で活用できる情報内容(コンテンツ)の充実に力を入れており、テレビ電話システムを活用してレッスンをするNOVAの「お茶の間留学」に関心があるといわれる。NOVAは、「お茶の間留学」事業を分割して譲渡する場合にも、有力候補になるとみている。

ただ、主力取引銀行などから当面の運転資金融資などの支援を受けられない場合、スポンサーとの交渉を早期にまとめあげなければ、会社の存続が難しくなる。このため、NOVAは、資金提供などの条件面よりも、スピードを重視して交渉に臨むとみられる。

◆800教室が一時休校

NOVAは26日未明、大阪地裁に会社更生法の適用を申請し、保全命令を受けた。全国に800前後ある全教室を一時休校とした。負債総額は7月末時点で439億円で、その後の家賃や給与の未払いを含めると、500億円規模に達するとみられる。保全管理人が同日午後3時から、大阪市内で記者会見する。

また、NOVAは、猿橋氏の社長解任を正式に発表した。

◆ジャスダック来月上場廃止

NOVAの会社更生法の申請を受け、ジャスダック証券取引所は26日、NOVA株を終日売買停止にすると発表した。27日付で監理ポストに割り当て、11月27日付で上場廃止にする。

(2007年10月26日 読売新聞)
Last edited by allblacks on Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mangaanimejpopsamurismap
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Mangaanimejpopsamurismap » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 pm

Apologies all round.

whatever
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by whatever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 pm

There are information sources communicated by the Canadian Embassy in another thread. This includes an "information" website and contact numbers for information. This may prove useful for those who are not Canadian citizens.

For Canadians wishing to fly home, there are some good flight prices there as well.