Neo-Nova

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Re: Neo-Nova

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:11 pm

As I mentioned in this thread, Nova are advertising on the trains again so they can't be doing too badly. Gaba were advertising too, and so were ECC. The industry appears to be chugging along, though nowhere near to the extent of the glory days of the late 90s / early 00s. I think your question is more about internet forums being dead and buried...
Shit wank bollocks

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Lamarr wrote:I see Nova has now (re)opened overseas recruiting offices in Canada, Sydney and London, since about the beginning of this year. Things must be looking up (cough, cough... ahem).
Not if you're an instructor. It sounds like it's even worse than the old NOVA used to be.
The interesting fact about the Arab is that he can go for a whole year on one grain of rice… No, that’s the mosquito. I get those muddled up because they’re next door to each other in the dictionary: mosquito and mosques.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:34 am

Lamarr wrote:True, it sounds terrible. They cite Y1,200 payment per lesson. Though I heard that you get paid more the more people are in your lesson.
However if students no-show and don't cancel before the 6pm the day before deadline, the company keeps the points they've spent but only pays the instructors for the students who do attend. Classy, eh?
The interesting fact about the Arab is that he can go for a whole year on one grain of rice… No, that’s the mosquito. I get those muddled up because they’re next door to each other in the dictionary: mosquito and mosques.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:40 am

ArthurGrole wrote:However if students no-show and don't cancel before the 6pm the day before deadline, the company keeps the points they've spent but only pays the instructors for the students who do attend. Classy, eh?
And here I was thinking that maybe the eikaiwas were trying to clean up their act. It's comforting to know some things never change!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:05 pm

Lamarr wrote:
ArthurGrole wrote:However if students no-show and don't cancel before the 6pm the day before deadline, the company keeps the points they've spent but only pays the instructors for the students who do attend. Classy, eh?
Cheeky bastards. Don't you get an extra Y100 or something for each student in the lesson? What a bunch of tight arses.
Something like that. I think there are different rates for demo lessons (if the visitor joins), level checks, man to mans and kids. But yes, if a student doesn't show up the instructor loses out.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:57 am

Lamarr wrote:That's why I'd say to anybody getting into it to go for a job with a fixed salary (like Aeon, ECC), rather than gambling on how many lessons you're going to get with Nova or Gaba. I'd only work at Nova or Gaba if you're looking to fill up your time and top up your income, over and above your other work.
Nova isn't the same everywhere though. Franchise operators don't necessarily have the same salary policies as the main company.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Lamarr,

I just sent you a long PM to say sorry for being a douche earlier in this thread and to try to explain why I over reacted in such a manner. I won't post the full thing here but I felt it was appropriate to apologise on the thread as well.

So, I'm sorry for being a dickhead, dickhead.
Do NOT arrest this man.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Has Eikawa collapsed? Haven't heard any news recently.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:15 pm

scanman wrote:Has Eikawa collapsed? Haven't heard any news recently.
NOVA is still limping along, still operating most schools on a skeleton staff of instructors. They've changed all the materials they use. Haven't heard anything about any of the other places, I guess they must be doing ok.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:11 am

Lamarr wrote:I guess that might not apply to places like Nova and Gaba because of the "contractor" status of instructors.
No, someone's status as a contractor is irrelevant. Having worked on contracts outside of eikaiwa, I always received shakai hoken. I believe (but don't know for a fact) that it has to do with how many hours a week you work. I believe from what I've read here that it is 30 hours or more or thereabouts.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:10 am

All quiet on the Eastern front.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Nova was apparently giving people money to get them to become independent contractors and ensure they don't have shakai hoken, but this didn't seem to work out well. Other schemes for avoiding shakai hoken aren't happening, so it seems as though they will put instructors on it.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:24 am

inflames wrote:Nova was apparently giving people money to get them to become independent contractors and ensure they don't have shakai hoken, but this didn't seem to work out well. Other schemes for avoiding shakai hoken aren't happening, so it seems as though they will put instructors on it.
Ho ho ho. Wonder how long it'll be before Inayoshi tries to offload NOVA onto someone else. He probably thought he was getting a cash cow for a knock-down price back in 2007, the twat.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

2.3 stars of possible 5, say NOVA teachers

Unread post by In The Know » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:36 pm

I happened to see this site's review of teaching for NOVA. Less than stellar feedback, I'm afraid.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/NOVA- ... 385654.htm

When I was with NOVA when they collapsed in fall 2007 they had 1000 branches. Now the NOVA recruiting web site boasts "over 250 branches throughout the country."

http://www.nova.co.jp/hd/teachinjapan/

Before its collapse con man Saruhashi was insane to think he could sustain 1000 branches. In the end the whole thing became a Ponzi scheme: Open new branches to get quick cash to keep the ones you already opened running... for a while. :rope:
My blog of mocking satire which targets Kim Jong-un and his evil regime: https://reedakted.blogspot.com

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: 2.3 stars of possible 5, say NOVA teachers

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:01 am

In The Know wrote:I happened to see this site's review of teaching for NOVA. Less than stellar feedback, I'm afraid.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/NOVA- ... 385654.htm

When I was with NOVA when they collapsed in fall 2007 they had 1000 branches. Now the NOVA recruiting web site boasts "over 250 branches throughout the country."
Most of them are only open five days a week and closed in the mornings. They're not even all run by the same company. Not much to boast about.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Just thought I'd droop by and wish everyone a Happy New Year. :cheers: It will be interesting to see what happens to Nova this year. :eyes:

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:54 pm

What ever happened to that Monkey Bridge? Did he do serious time in the end, or did he just end up doing a few months and that was it?

Where is he now? Still in business ripping people off somewhere else?

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Good question there! Where is Nozom Sahash or whatever he called himself at the end? I'll have a look on yahoo for an answer in Japanese and report back.

There was some report of him living in an apartment in Osaka city but that's about it. He did his time and got out a few years ago despite multiple appeals to have the conviction quashed.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:37 pm

I imagine he's retired and living off his ample pension. He's certainly of pensionable age, and it's highly likely that he maxed his pensions throughout his working life so there's no need for him to work again.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:20 am

Nova Ex-Boss: News articles occasionally differ in the spelling/pronunciation of his last name. The confusion apparently began in 2002 when Nozomu Saruhashi became upset after seeing his name printed in an article phonetically rendered in katakana as サル ("saru"?), which Saruhashi saw as deliberately emphasizing the first character in his name (猿), which means "monkey." The next day he announced to the staff that his surname was henceforth Sahashi.
On August 26, 2009 Sahashi was found guilty of embezzlement and sentenced to three and a half years of imprisonment with hard labor. In December 2010 his sentenced was reduced to two years by the Osaka High Court. He appealed against this conviction, but the appeal was rejected by the Supreme Court on December 19, 2012.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:14 pm

You wrote that? Isn't it straight from Wikipedia?
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 am

Yes, it's from Wikipedia. Unfortunately, it doesn't say what he's doing now.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:05 pm

No worries. Just checking