Stupid people

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.

Moderator: Shawn

Stupid people

Postby angryboy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:10 pm

Coming home from work yesterday I saw a car broken down on the road.
It had broken down mid turn thus leaving it blocking both lanes of a fairly narrow street right next to a construction site.
Two workers had the hood up and were standing there with the owners,an elderly couple dressed like they were going to a wedding or funeral.
While they all stood there with hands on hips shaking heads the guardman from the site was directing traffic around the block with his magic wand and whistle.
From my approach to the time they were out of sight it was about 4 or 5 minutes and in that time did one of them even think to push the car of the road?
No!
Cars were banked up on all sides and still all they did was shake heads.
Unbelievably,ridiculously stupid to say the least.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Postby bikeboy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:13 pm

welcome to japan...

a new twist on an old joke. how many japanese does it take to change a lightbulb? one to suck in air through his teeth, one to direct people around the area with a whistle and a light stick, ten to form a committee and have meetings to decide how to decide what to do (and then do nothing), five to stand around and say shouganai naaaa.... etc.
bikeboy
Limerick Extraordinaire
Limerick Extraordinaire

Postby nigerian_nampa » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:07 pm

ha ha

On my street in Osaka (a major thoroughfare) there`s a 20 meter stretch of road that has been under construction for A YEAR. They work on it for a day or two, then they`re gone for 2 months. Then they come back and work a little more, then they`re gone for two months. Sometimes there are no construction workers, only 3 guys with batons directing traffic (except when cars or trucks come along...then they`re never paying attention). At other times there is nobody there. I really have no idea what they`re doing at any point in time. The construction area is surrounded by a tall wire fence with tarps over it, totally restricting visibility.

In Canda a 20 meter stretch would be finished in 2 days.
nigerian_nampa
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby monkeypants » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:09 pm

nigerian_nampa wrote:ha ha

On my street in Osaka (a major thoroughfare) there`s a 20 meter stretch of road that has been under construction for A YEAR. They work on it for a day or two, then they`re gone for 2 months. Then they come back and work a little more, then they`re gone for two months. Sometimes there are no construction workers, only 3 guys with batons directing traffic (except when cars or trucks come along...then they`re never paying attention). At other times there is nobody there. I really have no idea what they`re doing at any point in time.

Keeping everybody ambiguously employed?
monkeypants
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Ziggy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:34 pm

bikeboy wrote:welcome to japan...

a new twist on an old joke. how many japanese does it take to change a lightbulb? one to suck in air through his teeth, one to direct people around the area with a whistle and a light stick, ten to form a committee and have meetings to decide how to decide what to do (and then do nothing), five to stand around and say shouganai naaaa.... etc.

That's not a joke, it's true.
At Nova it's better to be a high profile shit disturber than a low profile bootlicker.
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Location: Leading the human resistance against the mindless Nova machines.

Postby Ojii » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:05 pm

nigerian_nampa wrote:ha ha

On my street in Osaka (a major thoroughfare) there`s a 20 meter stretch of road that has been under construction for A YEAR. They work on it for a day or two, then they`re gone for 2 months. Then they come back and work a little more, then they`re gone for two months. Sometimes there are no construction workers, only 3 guys with batons directing traffic (except when cars or trucks come along...then they`re never paying attention). At other times there is nobody there. I really have no idea what they`re doing at any point in time. The construction area is surrounded by a tall wire fence with tarps over it, totally restricting visibility.

In Canda a 20 meter stretch would be finished in 2 days.

This is common thoughout Japan. They are just milking the taxpayers. The construction companies got a thing going with the politicians.

Back to the original thread, the country of SHEEP was made this way by the EDUCATION SYSTEM. This is done for CONTROL of the people. The Japanese, overall, are taught to FOLLOW, NOT THINK on their own.
Ojii

Postby Hondo » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:31 am

Japan is a construction state. Money for construction projects is funnelled through government agencies to municipalities. The municipalities have the choice between spending the money and employing people in their community, or saying "no", and letting the money slip through their fingers. It's not a hard choice to make.
Hondo

Postby captainsparky » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:54 am

so they employ people to do nothing? gee, sounds awfully like Canada. No wonder so many Canadian cities twin with Japanese cities.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, tax it some more. If it stops moving, subsidize it.
captainsparky
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby Hondo » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:10 am

The work is real, but there is no purpose. Concrete retaining walls to are put up to prevent landslides; concrete chutes are built to channel rivers to prevent erosion; money is thrown into concrete mixers across the country. It's a national make-work program.
Hondo

Postby senseiman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:53 pm

There seems to be no taboo in this country about blocking traffic.

My father in law is absolutely terrible in this regard. He drove me and my father around Shikoku for a few days on vacation last year and the experience was absolutely terrifying. On more than one occasion when he was having trouble with the car navigation or his cell phone he would simply stop the car wherever we happened to be and try to work it out. I don't mean pull over and stop, I just mean stop in the middle of the road. Once he did this on a highway off ramp and it scared the shit out of us. Cars going 70 or 80 would have to swerve to avoid hitting us, leaning on their horns as they did so and he'd just be obvlivioius too it all, muttering "nan kana....." as he pushed buttons on the damned car nabi.
Buckle up. We've got a blind date with destiny....and it looks like she's ordering the lobster.
senseiman
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Stupid people

Postby PHONICS » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:20 pm

angryboy wrote:Coming home from work yesterday I saw a car broken down on the road.
It had broken down mid turn thus leaving it blocking both lanes of a fairly narrow street right next to a construction site.
Two workers had the hood up and were standing there with the owners,an elderly couple dressed like they were going to a wedding or funeral.
While they all stood there with hands on hips shaking heads the guardman from the site was directing traffic around the block with his magic wand and whistle.
From my approach to the time they were out of sight it was about 4 or 5 minutes and in that time did one of them even think to push the car of the road?
No!
Cars were banked up on all sides and still all they did was shake heads.
Unbelievably,ridiculously stupid to say the least.

And you too, why didn't you go over and help them push it off the road?
Your sign here prease.
PHONICS
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby angryboy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:17 pm

I honestly thought about it but I wanted to see if any of them would twig.
When no one did I thought fuck it.Stupid people don`t deserve any help.
Two burly construction guys and a guardman should have been able to do it with or without my help.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Postby MacGyver » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:21 pm

On a related note, I was in the car with my g/f Sat afternoon and we were coming out of the station car park to a road where a BMW or Merc had broken down. The wife was pushing the car off the road while the hubby drove....Buwahhahaha What an arsehole.
"If all Japanese went to NOVA, the English level of the country would rise dramatically." - RevD on the state of English education in Japan.
MacGyver
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby captainsparky » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:35 am

MacGyver wrote:...The wife was pushing the car off the road while the hubby drove....

Maybe he believes in equality of the sexes.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, tax it some more. If it stops moving, subsidize it.
captainsparky
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby allblacks » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:19 am

Outside a South Osaka Gaijin house there was road construction going on from 5 a.m. every day for six months. Eventually someone went to the City Office and questioned it and was told that THAT location was the practice place for road makers!

They were actually digging the road up after doing it over and over and that made sense.

Someone was talking about the "construction state." I think the most ridiculous thing is that they don't actually have the money for the work and are in massive debt to do such trivial and STUPID things as the above.

AB's
Kamate Kamate...
allblacks
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby AforesaidPuck » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:48 am

MacGyver wrote:The wife was pushing the car off the road while the hubby drove.....

Perhaps he had pulled a leg muscle and couldn't push? Perhaps he was sitting on his brains and couldn't think? Perhaps she didn't have a license to drive, and didn't want to get in trouble in case of an accident?

Maybe she's the one who goes to the gym, and he is the one who sits on his keister exercising his digits.

Or ... maybe he's just a git ... :huh:

---
Edited for Spelling and Punctuation *grr*
Last edited by AforesaidPuck on Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
AforesaidPuck
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby JP_Jones » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:53 pm

good points AP.
JP_Jones
Photoshop King
Photoshop King

Postby Ozintokyo » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:46 am

allblacks wrote:Outside a South Osaka Gaijin house there was road construction going on from 5 a.m. every day for six months. Eventually someone went to the City Office and questioned it and was told that THAT location was the practice place for road makers!

AB's

Holy shit!!! :shock:

Wouldn't you be happy to live in that house!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
-Jean de La Fontaine
Ozintokyo
Intruder
Intruder

Postby MacGyver » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:28 am

What's the bet that's what it was called? :roll: :wink:
"If all Japanese went to NOVA, the English level of the country would rise dramatically." - RevD on the state of English education in Japan.
MacGyver
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Return to Japan Topics