Gay Teachers

The Let's Japan eikaiwa forum. Use this forum to discuss eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.

Moderator: Shawn

Gay Teachers

Postby HungFarLow » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:33 am

Is anybody out there out with their students? Does anybody know about any eikaiwa, ALT public school or even uni gaijin teachers who are openly gay? I know lots of JETS are gay but I don't know if any have ever announced it in class. I'd be interested to see what kind of reaction this would get.
Drugs are nice.
HungFarLow
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby Diogenes_in_Tokyo » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:59 pm

A good friend of mine was gay and taught at ECC (I say 'was' because I've lost contact with him since I moved). He never had any problems and loved teaching at several colleges around Tokyo, where the crowd of ripe young things in his classes was easy pickings for him.

As for coming out, I doubt many eikaiwa teachers do it. It's not related to teaching and teachers usually want to keep their private life as private, i.e., outside the scope of student conversation, as possible.

JET is completely different; a JET is a short-term 'cultural ambassador' (lit. Ministry of Ed. stooge), so JETs can get away with a lot. Eikaiwa teaching is a job, so one is subject to the whims and caprices of the school. No need to make waves that might jeopardize one's livelihood.

Why? HungLow, you thinking of coming out?
All those people killed in shootings in America?
Oh, shootings, yes. But that doesn't mean Americans are more violent than other people. We're just better shots.
Diogenes_in_Tokyo
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Ojii » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:51 pm

Diogenes_in_Tokyo wrote:A good friend of mine was gay and taught at ECC

How GOOD of a FRIEND was he???

:lol:
Ojii

Postby Ziggy » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:14 pm

I've never encounterd anybody who's open about it but I have heard via the grapevine that there's an AAM in the northern Osaka area who's gay and nobody (the drones under his tyranny) makes any bones about it. I've also heard a certain RAAM is suspected of being gay. Both of whom have positions of power which to abuse. If Nova promotes them I assume sexual orentation is irrelivent, your bootlicking capability is relevent.

Granted if a drone told a student he/she was gay and the student bitched Nova would use it agaisnt them.
At Nova it's better to be a high profile shit disturber than a low profile bootlicker.
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Location: Leading the human resistance against the mindless Nova machines.

Postby GaijinPooka » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:28 pm

I know 3 gay NOVA teachers. Two are from the same branch and are relatively straight acting. But its not even well known amongst teachers really.

My ex-room-mate is also gay, but he makes no bones about it really. Its obvious to one and all.

I know he did get reprimanded by his AT for talking to a student about it.
GaijinPooka
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Postby Tokyo_Joe » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:36 pm

In my year at NOVA I, too, have met three openly gay teachers. There doesn't seem to be any problem, it is, after all, I private matter that shouldn't make any difference at work.
Is this good for the company?
Tokyo_Joe
Clean & Sober
Clean & Sober

Postby GaijinPooka » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:46 pm

But I bet somewhere, somehow some bitch AT or staff has decided that its bad for sales and told a gay teacher to 'be straight'
GaijinPooka
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Postby Ojii » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:47 pm

Tokyo_Joe wrote:...There doesn't seem to be any problem, it is, after all, It's a private matter that shouldn't make any difference at work.

I know of a GAY TEACHER that was BANGING HIS STUDENTS. He ended up LIVING WITH HIS STUDENT. That must have been a pain in the ASS. The weird part about the HOLE thing is the TEACHER was about 30 YEARS OLDER than the STUDENT.

:poo:
Ojii

Postby ex_drone » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:29 pm

being openly gay as an ALT would be a problem as a drone .ummm depend on many factors I guess.

Gays in Japan stay in the closet at work and some of them even get married and live a lie their whole life.
ex_drone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Postby JP_Jones » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:35 pm

ex_drone wrote:Gays in Japan stay in the closet at work and some of them even get married and live a lie their whole life.

like ex_drone for example. way to come out right here on LJ!
JP_Jones
Photoshop King
Photoshop King

Postby ex_drone » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:03 am

damn where's that iggy button when I need it. I'm being stalked by a dumb ass troll
ex_drone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Postby RalphWiggum » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:25 am

So this is how it feels when the shoe is on the other foot.

Annoying, isn't it?
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Postby Smurfette » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:23 am

Ziggy wrote:Both of whom have positions of power which to abuse.

What do you mean by abuse?
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby angryboy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:13 am

I can`t see why being "openly gay" has to always be an issue.
Holw many of us openly confess to being hetero.Or catholic for that matter.Or whatever other aspects of your lifestyle.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Postby Ziggy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:42 am

Smurfette wrote:

Play favourites etc...
At Nova it's better to be a high profile shit disturber than a low profile bootlicker.
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Postby angryboy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:47 am

dogdays wrote:Consenting adults can do whatever they want. What the big deal is to some I have no idea. Telling people to "stay in the closet" is insane. Live how you want to live.

Exactly my point.I don`t give a shit if someone is gay/hetero/bi/whatever
or not.It doesn`t have to be advertised either way.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Postby ex_drone » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:49 am

It isn't an issue to me. I just don't care. Get married, adopt kids, join the PTA, and have a good life.

Fuck that, leave the kids out of it and there is no way in hell that any straight parent would want any flaming fag on the the PTA.
Last edited by ex_drone on Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ex_drone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Postby Melodious_Thunk » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:01 am

I knew plenty of people who were openly gay or lesbian at Nova. I don't think there's a problem.

But announcing something like that in class? I'm not really sure I see the point.

DiT wrote:As for coming out, I doubt many eikaiwa teachers do it. It's not related to teaching and teachers usually want to keep their private life as private, i.e., outside the scope of student conversation, as possible.

I agree. It's not related to teaching. In fact, I think it's inappropriate for a teacher to do, not the part about being gay, but bringing your personal life into a lesson. I wouldn't want to hear about a teacher's politics or religion, either, or his girlfriend if he's a hetero.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Melodious_Thunk

Postby PHONICS » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:13 am

'Hello boys and girls.... welcome to our school and hope you enjoy studying with me. I'd just like to mention that I'm a heterosexual and like playing with myself.

Now, from the right, yes you....could you please introduce yourself to the class....'
Your sign here prease.
PHONICS
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby Thanatos'_enbalmed_botfly » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:54 pm

Have never met a gay teacher but given the asexual, eunuch-like, poofy, sissy manner I comport myself around the office no doubt all my co-workers students think I'm a raving rectal rogerer*.

"Jeez, he hasn't even noticed this micro-mini, maybe I should unfurl my legs and re-cross them once more"

*make mental note, all day Monday, hit on every Sheila I see in an unmistakably masculine manner.
Thanatos'_enbalmed_botfly
Asshat
Asshat

Re: Gay Teachers

Postby JayRamey » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:00 pm

HungFarLow wrote:I know lots of JETS are gay but I don't know if any have ever announced it in class.

Lots? Really? Thank goodness I turned down the job offer from the JET program. I wonder what draws "lots" of them to the program? Being put in authority positions in schools with lots of young boys?

HungFarLow wrote: I'd be interested to see what kind of reaction this would get.

I would imagine that the reaction of most students would be of sickness and disgust. I would also imagine they would be confused and wondering what the hell is going on. As if I, or any normal person, sat down in class one day and out of nowhere announced:

"Hello boys and girls.... welcome to our school and hope you enjoy studying with me. I'd just like to mention that I'm a heterosexual and like playing with myself."
JayRamey

Postby valve-bouncer » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:09 pm

JayRamey wrote:
Lots? Really? Thank goodness I turned down the job offer from the JET program. I wonder what draws "lots" of them to the program? Being put in authority positions in schools with lots of young boys?

Is that right? And what exactly does paedophilia and homosexuality have in common? Are homosexuals automatically paedophiles to you? Think you better explain yourself mate, lest you be....ahem....taken the wrong way. :shock:
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby Smurfette » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:38 pm

Ziggy wrote:
Smurfette wrote:

Play favourites etc...

Ummm...is that something that a straight AAM can't do?
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby Ojii » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:49 pm

ex_drone wrote:Gays in Japan stay in the closet at work and some of them even get married and live a lie their whole life.

This makes a lot of sense if you have ever met a J-man with all of the gay characteristics only to find out that he was married with kids. I know of one J-teacher who was a textbook HOMO. When I heard he was married with kids, I thought it was really weird.

Another example of a CLOSET CASE, in Japan, was that eikaiwa teacher that MARRIED that famous marathon runner. A Japanese reporter found out afterwards that he was GAY.
Ojii

Postby ex_sensei » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:37 pm

JayRamey wrote:I would imagine that the reaction of most students would be of sickness and disgust. I would also imagine they would be confused and wondering what the hell is going on. As if I, or any normal person, sat down in class one..."

Bolded by me for emphasis.

You've got to be joking, yeah? Or are you stuck in the 18th century?

Ex
ex_sensei
Clean & Sober
Clean & Sober

Postby Ziggy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:18 pm

Smurfette wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Smurfette wrote:

Play favourites etc...

Ummm...is that something that a straight AAM can't do?

Dunno, what do you think?
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Postby nigerian_nampa » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:39 pm

JayRamey wrote:
HungFarLow wrote:Lots? Really? Thank goodness I turned down the job offer from the JET program. I wonder what draws "lots" of them to the program? Being put in authority positions in schools with lots of young boys?

I thought the Taliban had been wiped out. :huh:
nigerian_nampa
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby monkeypants » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:12 pm

Thanatos'_enbalmed_botfly wrote:Have never met a gay teacher but given the asexual, eunuch-like, poofy, sissy manner I comport myself around the office no doubt all my co-workers students think I'm a raving rectal rogerer*.

"Jeez, he hasn't even noticed this micro-mini, maybe I should unfurl my legs and re-cross them once more"

*make mental note, all day Monday, hit on every Sheila I see in an unmistakably masculine manner.

There a story in there somewhere, botfly?
monkeypants
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Smurfette » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:15 pm

Ziggy, I would say that any AAM is in a position of power which is open to abuse. I don't think that just because someone is gay that they are more likely to abuse their power.
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby barten » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:32 am

I'd say say that most, if not all, gay people were more than happy to admit their preference in the right company and keep it quiet when not, gee, much like the rest of us. It has nothing to do with paedophilia. That's a disease that needs urgent treatment or else risks hurting people for life, and is not related to sexual preference. I don't see exactly what sexual orientation has to do with teaching? It's not as if anyone's going to corrupt the masculine/feminine thing in English!

As a rule, it's probably best not to assert any kind of sexuality in class.
Ungaretti
uomo di pena
ti basta un
barten
Weaver of Tales
Weaver of Tales

Next

Return to Eikaiwa