Honkies Abroad

The Let's Japan eikaiwa forum. Use this forum to discuss eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.

Moderator: Shawn

Honkies Abroad

Postby GaijinLoserLikeAllofYouMF » Thu May 13, 2004 4:41 am

An English dude with a head on his shoulders thought it was funny how many English instructors complain about facing "racism" in Japan.

It's funny how english instructors complain about how locals look at them and are rude to them.

Honky-tonk crackers abroad.

Who's da nigga now?

"Oh I'm not racist. I have some black friends!" - Honky-tonk Cracker on understanding minorities...
GaijinLoserLikeAllofYouMF

Re: Honkies Abroad

Postby LeBlueBoy » Thu May 13, 2004 6:42 am

GaijinLoserLikeAllofYouMF wrote:An English dude with a head on his shoulders thought it was funny how many English instructors complain about facing "racism" in Japan.

It's funny how english instructors complain about how locals look at them and are rude to them.

Who's da nigga now?

"Oh I'm not racist. I have some black friends!" - Honky-tonk Cracker on understanding minorities...

When the White Defamation League hears about this, you are so busted!
LeBlueBoy
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby Average_Variable » Thu May 13, 2004 6:53 am

wow two generalizations with one post. :clap:
Perception is reality. The world you see is the only reality that really matters...
d(@_@)b -- <(@_@<) -- (>@_@)>
I would be reborn as rockstar.
Average_Variable
Clean & Sober
Clean & Sober

Postby Diogenes_in_Tokyo » Thu May 13, 2004 10:12 am

It seems someone has managed to bridge the 'digital divide.'

Should we now expect wisdom such as 'Japanese girls aren't easy' or 'foreigners shouldn't date Japanese (and upset the wa)'?
All those people killed in shootings in America?
Oh, shootings, yes. But that doesn't mean Americans are more violent than other people. We're just better shots.
Diogenes_in_Tokyo
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby valve-bouncer » Thu May 13, 2004 10:14 am

I bet this cunt doesn't get to 10 posts......fucken hoser
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby Smurfette » Thu May 13, 2004 10:28 am

Sorry to add to the post total, VB! While not common, zucchini can be found in Japan, so here's a great summer recipe!

INGREDIENTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
1 Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2 Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3 Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
4 Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

Makes 24 servings

Oh, I'm sorry, was I interrupting something important?
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby valve-bouncer » Thu May 13, 2004 10:34 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @Smurfette....sounds tasty.
(BTW- I mean the OP will be lucky to make 10 posts before Fetus shitcans him :D )
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby Smurfette » Thu May 13, 2004 10:37 am

Ahhh...I see. :D I hope Fetus leaves the thread up, because it is one killer recipe. :wink:

edit: Oh yeah, I have the metric version as well.
Last edited by Smurfette on Thu May 13, 2004 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby valve-bouncer » Thu May 13, 2004 10:50 am

Actually my wife's parents run a fruit and vegie shop and i did see some zucchinis there a while back. If I'd have had a good recipe i would have got some. Next time I see them there I'll get some and dig up this recipe.
(Thread hijack complete, nice work Smurfette :clap: :D )
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby BakaMike » Thu May 13, 2004 10:55 am

For English tossers like me: A Zucchini is a courgette - I only know coz the Ozzies call it a Zucchini too and my Gran - an Ozzie - loved them.

Thanks for the recipe Smurfette!

Gaijin loser: very apt!
NOVA IS GREAT!!!... ...FROM THE OUTSIDE!!
BakaMike
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Postby angryboy » Thu May 13, 2004 12:41 pm

GaijinLoserLikeAllofYouMF wrote:An English dude with a head on his shoulders thought it was funny how many English instructors complain about facing "racism" in Japan.

Who's da nigga now?

Nurse Dogdays take this one to the "special" ward.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Postby sirwanksalot » Thu May 13, 2004 1:52 pm

Is this the return of ZanCOCKu?
sirwanksalot
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Postby Ojii » Thu May 13, 2004 5:17 pm

GaijinLoserLikeAllofYouMF wrote:...it was funny how many English instructors complain about facing "racism" in Japan

Who's da nigga now?

GLAY makes an interesting point behind his insults. It really is amusing to see WHITE people bitching about racisim. I think any time spent in Japan, outside the military(those people are way too isolated), will make you more aware of racism and other problems faced by minorities that most WHITE people have only viewed from a distance. Every WHITE MAN IN JAPAN is instantly placed in a reversed role, as a minority, being discriminated against in some cases. The experience in Japan will certainly change people's views and behavior in regards to racisim.
Last edited by Ojii on Thu May 13, 2004 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ojii

Postby monkeypants » Fri May 14, 2004 8:58 am

Ojii wrote:
GaijinLoserLikeAllofYouMF wrote:...it was funny how many English instructors complain about facing "racism" in Japan

Who's da nigga now?

GLAY makes an interesting point behind his insults. It really is amusing to see WHITE people bitching about racisim. I think any time spent in Japan, outside the military(those people are way too isolated), will make you more aware of racism and other problems faced by minorities that most WHITE people have only viewed from a distance. Every WHITE MAN IN JAPAN is instantly placed in a reversed role, as a minority, being discriminated against in some cases. The experience in Japan will certainly change people's views and behavior in regards to racisim.

Too true. Every privileged person should experience a trip to their country and stay for a while and (try to) learn to live with it. I'm guilty of complaining about this place but if I didn't like it, I'd leave in a second.

In the movie Mr. Baseball when Jack Elliot (Tom Selleck) met Max Hammer (Dennis Haybert) in the locker room of the Japanese baseball team to which Jack had just been traded, Max said to him something like "you're gaijin here." "Gaijin?" "Yeah, it's like being black back home, except there's less of us." Stupid movie, but that line makes me think. While being in Japan can't really parallel the racist/discriminatory behavior found in other countries, it's still a close enough approximation to build a core of understanding for it.
monkeypants
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby yaffle » Fri May 14, 2004 10:31 am

After going back to the UK the first time I was here, I did feel as though I understood much better what non-whites have to put up with. When out with a black friend I remember her not being served in pubs, not outwardly refused, just quietly ignored. The underlying feeling is not one of 'society is against me', but 'how can these people be so stupid?!'. I realise the difference is that I didn't grow up with it, and I can always plead foreign. Another thing that really has struck me is the human desire to fit in. Not that I wish to change how I look, but sometimes I don't want to be different from everybody else.

Like yesterday: I went to a trade fair, and I was constantly ignored and my colleague was constantly badgered. There were only Japanese companies there and I saw one other foreigner. I felt as though I needed a card round my neck '日本も大丈夫!'. And then we went for a few beers. It was me who was first in, said that there were two of us, and the bloke didn't even look at me, just my friend.

I'm actually glad of the experince. It really has made me realise how wrong prejudice is, and although everyone is prejudiced to at least some extent, I feel more prepared to accept that my views aren't neccessarily right.

Although anything we experience here pales into insignificance compared to other things people have to go through.

In another thread the comment 'Muslims are scum of the Earth' was written. All Frenchmen stink of garlic, all Americans are fat, all Germans actually LIKE starting wars, all Africans are malnorished and have AIDS and George W has never said or done anything right in his life. And these are FACTS and are WITHOUT exception. You can tell that I KNOW what I'm talking about by the almost RANDOM use of CAPTIAL letters.

I'm not having a go at anyone here, just that the internet is full of idiots. Myself included. :)
yaffle
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby duma » Tue May 18, 2004 1:21 am

valve-bouncer wrote:I bet this cunt doesn't get to 10 posts......fucken hoser

He got to 11 in the end. That's 11 posts too many.
duma
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Postby amerikajin274 » Tue May 18, 2004 2:25 am

Oh man, this guy went down in a blaze of glory - NOT!
Off the air
amerikajin274
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby barten » Tue May 18, 2004 3:14 am

I believe zucchini comes from the Italian. Zucca means pumpkin, so a zucchini would be a small pumpkin, which in a way it is, being the same family. It's hard to tell the difference between the plants until the fruit appear. Due to some kind of culinary dislexia I can't follow recipes, but that sounds great, Smurfette.

About the racism thing, I've heard people say before about how white people can learn what it's like to be black in America by being subjected to racism in Japan. Very common argument from apologists who like to say "Now it's your turn". What a load of bullshit. Why is racism okay? When is racism okay?? In what way does being white in Japan tell me what it's like to be black in America. They're not even related topics. The only thing they've got in common is that they're both undeserved. Stop with the "I learned to love the bomb so you should too" illogic. Fight racism, fight it on the fucking beaches no matter which side you're on or what country you're in. Being subjected to racism here doesn't make me hate other races less (not that I have any such hate), it makes me hate racism more.
Ungaretti
uomo di pena
ti basta un
barten
Weaver of Tales
Weaver of Tales

Postby yaffle » Wed May 19, 2004 4:54 pm

I completely agree, Barten. Racism is wrong. Bigotry is wrong. Prejudice is wrong. However, they do still exist, and as a white Anglo-Saxon male it's very easy to think that there isn't a problem, or that it's not as bad as people make out. When it comes down to it, there's not that much racism here, although it exists enough to make you realise that it's stupid and ignorant. I hate the racism; more each time I experience it. Surely, though, by realising how idiotic racism is makes you hate other races less?
yaffle
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby monkeypants » Thu May 20, 2004 5:25 am

Being discriminated against in Japan (or any other country) hardly makes racism ok back home. It's just that when you've been blissfully blinded by your own culture's center-of-the-universe mentality there's nothing like a good backhand from reality to give you pause.
Being here changes nothing there. Only I change. That's it.
There are no apologies and my experience here only shows me what it's like to be me, here, now. I hope I learn something from it.
monkeypants
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby amerikajin274 » Fri May 21, 2004 10:17 pm

There's the way it should be, and there's the way it is. Racism shouldn't exist in Japan, but it does. That's the way it is; that's the way it's going to be until Japan experiences mass immigration, which isn't likely to happen in our lifetime. As long as the Japanese live among themselves, travel in JALPack tours and refuse to see the world through anything other than the Japanese lense, then Japan will always be a xenophobic country. We knew that before we moved here. If we don't like it, we should leave.

That doesn't make me an apologist for racism - I'm not at all. But to compare American or European cultures with the homogeneity of Japan is comparing oranges to apples. As I've said before, when comparing America on the whole to Japan, clearly America is more open to foreign cultures. But go to certain regions of the U.S. and it's a different story. I know - I've lived in some of those places.
Last edited by amerikajin274 on Fri May 21, 2004 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off the air
amerikajin274
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby Ojii » Fri May 21, 2004 11:43 pm

amerikajin274 wrote:...But go to certain regions of the U.S. and it's a different story. I know - I've lived in some of those places.

What 'places' are you referring to? Is it the SOUTH, where LAWS were outright WRITTEN into the books or the NORTH, where LAWS were left unwritten and more vaguely interpreted? I remember a course I took in college, Sociology. The professor told us that although the public in America assumes racism and prejudice to be limited primarily in the South, most of the discrimination that takes place is in the North. She made reference to the assimilation of BLACKS and WHITES in neighborhoods. A 僧ixed・neighborhood is more commonplace in the South while in the North it is more rare. She also cited the fact that laws concerning race, as I stated earlier, were written in the South and unwritten in the North, although more racism existed there. Yes, you could make a case that in some rural areas in the South have a notorious reputation but since blacks and whites are more 訴n-contact・ more opportunities for conflict may arise. In comparison, in the North there is less opportunity for 訴nteraction・to occur as these two races are separated, socially, geographically, religiously, and whatnot.

Like it or not, racism will always be around, even in America.
Ojii

Postby bostonaussie » Sat May 22, 2004 10:23 pm

I tell ya waht blokes after being here for almost 2.25 years and seeing the islander attitude way that these people have of treating people, I will never be racist again when in an english speaking country like my home in good old australia.
bostonaussie

Postby Jet_Mech » Sun May 23, 2004 12:02 am

Ojii wrote:
amerikajin274 wrote:...But go to certain regions of the U.S. and it's a different story. I know - I've lived in some of those places.

What 'places' are you referring to? Is it the SOUTH, where LAWS were outright WRITTEN into the books or the NORTH, where LAWS were left unwritten and more vaguely interpreted? I remember a course I took in college, Sociology. The professor told us that although the public in America assumes racism and prejudice to be limited primarily in the South, most of the discrimination that takes place is in the North. She made reference to the assimilation of BLACKS and WHITES in neighborhoods. A 僧ixed・neighborhood is more commonplace in the South while in the North it is more rare. She also cited the fact that laws concerning race, as I stated earlier, were written in the South and unwritten in the North, although more racism existed there. Yes, you could make a case that in some rural areas in the South have a notorious reputation but since blacks and whites are more 訴n-contact・ more opportunities for conflict may arise. In comparison, in the North there is less opportunity for 訴nteraction・to occur as these two races are separated, socially, geographically, religiously, and whatnot.

Like it or not, racism will always be around, even in America.

Oji, a lot of what you say is so true. I grew up in a medium-sized Midwestern city along the Lewis and Clark trail that is predominately white, and I can tell you as a kid that I was deathly afraid of African-Americans. I recollect being told, boy as I was, and not by my parents mind you, that they will "cut your ears off!!!" God Damn!!! As a young adolescent, how is one to take that!!!? Back then there were just not many African-Americans living in the "Great Plains," so stereotypes that dated back to the Civil War evidently still existed. It wasn't until I joined the Air Force and had regular contact with African-Americans that I began to assimilate that they are no differnt than myself. What I grew up "believing" turned out to be all wrong. One African-American Air Force buddy of mine, Louis Hayes, from East LA whom I've known since the late eighties and whom I had originally come to Japan with from the East Coast of the US nearly two decades ago, still manage to meet up in Vegas every few years or so. A lifetime friendship ensues. Maybe this is why I have stayed in Japan as long as I have, to avoid the cocoon of a society that I, unfortunately, must call "home."
Jet_Mech
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Postby Diogenes_in_Tokyo » Sun May 23, 2004 12:17 am

While the whole "let whitey get some of his own" attitude vis-a-vis Japan is amusing, white people like myself only suffer a mere shade of what the other Asians get. I feel more sorry for them because they actually have experienced Japanese racism at it worst, like ceilings on career advancement, lack of legal recognition (we all have our passports, right?), and - at its very ugliest - outright violence. Lynching in Japan, you say? Pish, never happen. No, in fact it did happen - check out descriptions of mob slaughter of thousands of Koreans following the Great Kanto Earthquake and sporadic violence after WWII.

The saddest fact is that Japanese violence against other Asians has reared its ugly head again, whether in uyoku attacks on the Chinese embassy or assaults on Korean students. Perhaps Japan could take a lesson from the West in this regard, since Western nations have provided a legal basis for protection from and redress with respect to racism while there are no such domestic legal provisions in Japan. Once Japan has enacted such laws, then perhaps comparison of Japan and the West in terms of racism would be appropriate. Until then, there are simply no grounds - legally speaking - to do so...
Last edited by Diogenes_in_Tokyo on Sun May 23, 2004 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
All those people killed in shootings in America?
Oh, shootings, yes. But that doesn't mean Americans are more violent than other people. We're just better shots.
Diogenes_in_Tokyo
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Ojii » Sun May 23, 2004 12:26 am

Diogenes_in_Tokyo wrote:...The saddest fact is that Japanese violence against other Asians has reared its ugly head again, whether in uyoku attacks on the Chinese embassy or assaults on Korean students...

I agree with your later statement concerning the addition of laws that will more directly focus on racism issues but I believe this statement above is too broad. You are painting with a wide brush. You can't label ALL of the JAPANESE by a few isolated incidents. Organized attacks by a few radical groups are not reflective of the entire nation. Yes there are problems in Japan but don't try to twist and distort facts to express a point.
Ojii

Postby valve-bouncer » Sun May 23, 2004 12:33 am

Ojii wrote:
Diogenes_in_Tokyo wrote:...The saddest fact is that Japanese violence against other Asians has reared its ugly head again, whether in uyoku attacks on the Chinese embassy or assaults on Korean students...

I agree with your later statement concerning the addition of laws that will more directly focus on racism issues but I believe this statement above is too broad. You are painting with a wide brush. You can't label ALL of the JAPANESE by a few isolated incidents. Organized attacks by a few radical groups are not reflective of the entire nation. Yes there are problems in Japan but don't try to twist and distort facts to express a point.

I think you're stretching a bit there Uncle, DiT made some good points and I think he's been on this board long enough for us to realise he didn't mean ALL Japanese. Stop being so grumpy ya old bugger :P :wink: :D :D
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby Jet_Mech » Sun May 23, 2004 12:46 am

I feel more sorry for them because they actually have experienced Japanese racism at it worst

Anyone ever heard of Unit 731? If not, try a Google search. But I must warn you, you may not like what you find. :(
Jet_Mech
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Postby amerikajin274 » Thu May 27, 2004 5:46 pm

The experience in Japan will certainly change people's views and behavior in regards to racisim

Maybe; then again, maybe not. Some people come here and never learn a g@ddamn thing, except that the Japanese don't roll out the red carpet for Whitey. Some people come here and stay in gaijin world, a place where they don't have to live with or mix with cultures too different from their own. I don't get it.
Off the air
amerikajin274
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby DragonEagle » Thu May 27, 2004 8:09 pm

Is using Gaijinness to pick up J-chicks like black kids using their race to get into a good college?

Are both wrong? Just one? Any comments?
DragonEagle
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Next

Return to Eikaiwa