Thoughts on (overtime at) NOva

The Let's Japan eikaiwa forum. Use this forum to discuss eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.

Moderator: Shawn

Postby duma » Thu May 06, 2004 12:15 am

Jet_Mech wrote:They asked him how he could've gotten sunburned if he was supposedly laid up sick in bed. He said that he had felt poorly at home, so he went to the park to lie there. Nova bought it. Nothing more was said. :clap:

:rotfl:
duma
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Postby Ziggy » Fri May 07, 2004 10:29 am

Jet_Mech wrote:You're absolutely right DD, but at least over hear they can wear suits and look, feel and act important which might just help to feed their low self-esteemes. Back home the majority of 'em couldn't land a job at a dog food factory. :)

That is so true. In my time at Nova hell I NEVER and I mean never encountered anybody in an A.T., trainer, (dick)head teacher, AAM, RAAM or CAAM position who had even the most Mickey Mouse of management skills and that's the truth. All titled bootlickers come across as spineless jellyfish who've licked assholes clean to get their position and rely on scripted answers due to the fact they have no idea about management or leadership. Think about it. At your Nova gulag who did the drones respect more the A.T. or the drone who would stand up to them and show backbone?
That's what I mean by my quote about high profile shit disturber. In that case you get the respect of your peers. You're not looked at as a spineless asshole who barks at their master痴 command.
Could you imagine and of those dorks at (dick)head office or E.F. landing a manegment job back home? I think not.
At Nova it's better to be a high profile shit disturber than a low profile bootlicker.
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Location: Leading the human resistance against the mindless Nova machines.

Postby Melodious_Thunk » Fri May 07, 2004 10:54 am

Ziggy wrote:That is so true. In my time at Nova hell I NEVER and I mean never encountered anybody in an A.T., trainer, (dick)head teacher, AAM, RAAM or CAAM position who had even the most Mickey Mouse of management skills and that's the truth. All titled bootlickers come across as spineless jellyfish who've licked assholes clean to get their position and rely on scripted answers due to the fact they have no idea about management or leadership. Think about it. At your Nova gulag who did the drones respect more the A.T. or the drone who would stand up to them and show backbone?

Allow me to play Reverend's advocate, but this was completely different from my experience. I worked at a few different "branches," and I worked under a number of titled teachers and AAMs. There certainly were some losers among them, but in my experience they were a minority. There were two types of people who caused problems: (1) young kids who got promoted to AT at 24 or 25 and started getting excessivley bossy, and (2) incompetent lifers who were stuck in Nova. The majority of the titled teachers and AAMs I worked with, however, did their jobs conscientiously and made the best of an admittedly poor situation. I am still friends with many of them today. You are tarring people with a very broad brush.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Melodious_Thunk

Postby Ziggy » Fri May 07, 2004 11:14 am

Melodious_Thunk wrote: You are tarring people with a very broad brush.

Maybe so but it was what I encountered and that's a fact. I've seen too many people get promoted and let it go to their head and the scripted replies they have to give backs up what I'm saying.

Maybe you had a better time in your Nova gulag than me, That dosen't change the impression I was left with.
At Nova it's better to be a high profile shit disturber than a low profile bootlicker.
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Postby Udderlymoo » Fri May 07, 2004 11:27 am

Sorry... must agree with Thunk-meister. Goodness knows I have met some real losers in the AAM and AT spot... but they were far outnumbered by people who were just trying to do their job, taking a paycheck, and going home to drink and forgot about the day. ala the drone.
"All ATs this and all Head dicks that" is a bunch of bunk. Maybe you were in a high concentration area... 99.5% assholes per .5% decent human beings. But I just didn't see it. The only people who made my life difficult were an equally small minority of teachers. They gave me more stress, headaches, and generally sucked the life out of my soul with their constant, petty complaining (newsflash: this is a job.... they all suck, get over it) than anything my A.T. or A.A.M ever did.
Anyways... back to the tar and feathers... but maybe invest in some laser-targeted feathers.
Moo
Udderlymoo
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby Smurfette » Fri May 07, 2004 11:27 am

Melodious_Thunk wrote:Allow me to play Reverend's advocate...

Welcome to Let's Japan, where the Devil is a Reverend and Jesus (via JCE) is a spammer! :D
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby Musashi » Fri May 07, 2004 11:35 am

Welcome to Let's Japan, where the Devil is a Reverend and Jesus (via JCE) is a spammer! :D[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :clap: :clap:

Nice one Smurfette !
Musashi
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby Ziggy » Fri May 07, 2004 3:08 pm

I guess I should take back what I said about never. Saying that is a broad generalization and quit a summery judgement. I should not do the type of thing I despise Nova for. I thought about it and realized I maybe knew two or three decent A.T.'s in my tme and I shouldn't be negative about them.
But sadly the vast majority did plenty to betray the trust of those there and abuse thier power. I will give stories if anybody's interested.
Last edited by Ziggy on Fri May 07, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Postby Ziggy » Fri May 07, 2004 3:11 pm

Udderlymoo wrote: The only people who made my life difficult were an equally small minority of teachers. They gave me more stress, headaches, and generally sucked the life out of my soul with their constant, petty complaining (newsflash: this is a job.... they all suck, get over it) than anything my A.T. or A.A.M ever did.

By no stretch of the imagination am I defending all the drones.

BTW what do you mean by petty complaining? No really, can you give examples please? I'm curious.
Last edited by Ziggy on Fri May 07, 2004 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Postby MacGyver » Fri May 07, 2004 6:00 pm

Reading this thread makes me laugh because my g/f's bro-in-law is a head teacher at Nova, and my roommate's girl is Nova admin staff at one of the branches. I'm surrounded by Nova people! Hahaha.
"If all Japanese went to NOVA, the English level of the country would rise dramatically." - RevD on the state of English education in Japan.
MacGyver
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby okazakiOm » Fri May 07, 2004 9:24 pm

Goddamit, I was an AT at NOVA!

And I like me! :D
okazakiOm
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby RalphWiggum » Fri May 07, 2004 9:50 pm

I'm an AT and I'm nice unless one of the drones is being an obvious dick.
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Postby Udderlymoo » Fri May 07, 2004 10:51 pm

Heya Ziggy,

Sure no problem on the petty complaints request... it is true I try to drown them from my memory... but some do linger.

"Teaching 8 classes a day is freaking ridiculous." True... but its your job... shut up and go teach class number 7.

"Yuki-psycho-snow girl takes 5 MxM lessons a day....everyday" . So lets see 8,000 x 5 = all of our salaries combined... wah for teaching the psycho.

"NOVA won't help me (fill in your personal challenge... i.e. buy a newspaper, work the Japanese toilet...)" . Ugh.. for the love of cows... go back home!

"I was late (hung over.. over slept) and NOVA took my money." Yeah, call the number by the time... make up some lame "sick" excuse, go back to bed and let me teach your kids classes.... woo hoo! Its fun and easy to do.

Those are the work related ones I care to relive at his moment. To be fair most of the petty complaints that drive me nuttiest are about life in Japan.

And once again I reiterate... I have met the Dickheads and Bootlickers... and thank the grazing fields of Hokaido that I don't work there.
Moo
Udderlymoo
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby KaraokeFiend » Fri May 07, 2004 11:16 pm

I was wondering what the standard starting salary for a NOVA instructor is? Around 250,000 en per month? Whether you've just finished high school, or you have your PHD, you still get the same pay, right?

Thanks for sharing,
-Karaokefiend
KaraokeFiend

Postby sirwanksalot » Sat May 08, 2004 11:27 am

I just got a call 5 minutes ago for overtime. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................I let my machine get it :bird:
sirwanksalot
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Postby Jet_Mech » Sun May 09, 2004 9:48 pm

Ziggy wrote:I guess I should take back what I said about never. Saying that is a broad generalization and quit a summery judgement. I should not do the type of thing I despise Nova for. I thought about it and realized I maybe knew two or three decent A.T.'s in my tme and I shouldn't be negative about them.
But sadly the vast majority did plenty to betray the trust of those there and abuse thier power. I will give stories if anybody's interested.

I have to tilt your way on this one Ziggy. I don't hold the majority of the titled instructors that I've come across in very high esteem either. IMO any one of them that stays in the position for an extended period of time is either a hypocrite or a fool; a hypocrite for knowingly supporting and enforcing Nova's deceptive teaching approach; and a fool for allowing oneself to be taken unawares by it. :(

No offense to those of you out there who are on the level and are trying to make a difference, but ... don't you feel that it is an uphill struggle? :?
Jet_Mech
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Postby JCE » Thu May 13, 2004 12:49 am

KaraokeFiend wrote:I was wondering what the standard starting salary for a NOVA instructor is? Around 250,000 en per month? Whether you've just finished high school, or you have your PHD, you still get the same pay, right?

Thanks for sharing,
-Karaokefiend

I think you get more for having certain types of sheepskin ... masters degree, teaching certificate, etc.
"Let us thank God that we live among the present problems. It is no longer allowed for anyone to be mediocre." --Pope Pius XI

http://www.japancatholicexpats.org
JCE
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Postby nigerian_nampa » Thu May 13, 2004 1:54 am

You get very little extra money for extra qualifications. I have Bachelor of Education degree and got a wopping 5000 yen extra a month for it. In ECC I get nothing for it, but that doesn't bother me as much as the 5000 yen. I felt like a waiter getting a few pennies' tip.

There are some other pay variations depending on region and schedule. Basically, the pay is about 250,000 but you get 5000 extra per month for being scheduled on a Sunday, or late shift (1:20-9:00). I got around 275,000 per month because of 4 schedule allowances plus my B.Ed. After a year this went up to 285,000.

I'm back down to 252,000 at ECC, but I have no regrets at all. Heaps more free time and I feel no desire to call in sick and subsequently lose pay. It comes out about the same, if I count my Nova sick days which became quite frequent in my last few months.
nigerian_nampa
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Previous

Return to Eikaiwa