Fvcking Laundry Detergent!!!

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.

Moderator: Shawn

Fvcking Laundry Detergent!!!

Postby Mogura » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:17 pm

That's the third dress shirt I've had ruined thanks to sh!tty Japanese laundry detergents. WTF am I doing wrong? Am I using the wrong brand? Have I got the mix proportions fvcked up?

To make a long story short, I used to use this brand called アタック ("attaku"), and attack is what this sh!t has done, little bleached out areas all over my shirts. Now I know that attaku is a laundry detergent, and not a bleach, as I know the Japanese word for bleach, and I would recognize it if it were written on the label. And when I go to do my laundry I use half of the recommended amount, thinking that my clothes would be less likely to lose their color by doing so, but no. This fvcking sh!t has ruined my shirts.

Normally, I wouldn't give a rat's ass. But the thing is, these are expensive Banana Republic shirts, and finding suitable replacements (i.e., shirts that have normal-length short sleeves) readily is not an option.

Anyway, has anyone experienced a similar thing, and are there any Japanese-brand laundry detergents you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Mogura
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Smurfette » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:23 pm

First, of course, you need to change brands. I doubt that I need to tell you to test the new detergent out on shirts that you don't mind losing.

What I do when I wash clothes is put the detergent in first, and start the washer, letting the water dissolve all of the detergent before adding my laundry. I don't know if this is the case, but some brands have bleach added to them, and if you put the detergent directly on the clothes, it fvcks them up.

I can't remember which brand I used to use, probably whichever was cheapest, and I never had problems.
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby Ojii » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:21 pm

'Attack' is the best detergent in the world.

It was featured in a science program in the US a while back. They have micro-bugs or something inside those blue pellets that breakout when you put water on it and eat the dirt from your clothes.

I think you need to get the powder type, not liquid.

There's my home laundry advice. Now, I feel like a housewife.
Ojii

Postby valve-bouncer » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:10 am

Get a missus Mog, that's her job.... :D :wink: :roll: (ducking for cover)
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby plaid_knight » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:22 am

I'd suggest getting some of the detergent you used back home. By mail if necessary.
<i>Anata sekai o kakumei surush ga nai deshou?
Anata no susumu michi wa yoi shite arimasu.</i>
plaid_knight
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby Smurfette » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:41 am

valve-bouncer wrote:Get a missus Mog, that's her job.... :D :wink: :roll: (ducking for cover)

GRRR! You can run, v-b, but you can't hide! :evil: :evil: :evil:... :wink:

Seriously, though, I hated the laundry detergent in Japan. It always left my clothes with an unpleasant smell. How long are you going to be over there, Mog? What I did is I ordered a case of detergent from the FBC, and my clothes smelled great! I got Arm and Hammer, which is reasonably priced and works well. Even if you don't think you can use a whole case before you go, maybe you can split with some friends. I was surprised at how many people asked if I had any extra when I mentioned that I had switched.

You should still use the pre-mixing method.
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby Big_Boy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:04 am

BB the housewife;
I dont usually give a Sh*t about household stuff. I figure if the other trillion people living in Tokyo are using it, chances are its good.
Having said that, I always go to Costco and buy those friggin 5 gallon jugs of Tide liquid. Attack is good, but since there is no hot water in the washin machine, it sometimes dont completely melt.
Another thing I dont do is hang the laundry out to dry on the veranda like everyone else. Bought a dryer. Everyone says "hanging the laundry and airing out the futons outside gives them a better smell". BULLSHIT. This is Tokyo, not the Swiss Alps. The outside air is filled with smog, bugs and pigeons luv to shit on fresh laundry. WTF. I may as well forgo the detergent and just piss directly in the wash.
ANOTHER thing that makes me wanna puke is the poor stingy people who siphon their ofuro water into the washing machine. "Saves Water" "Good for the environment" they say. What a crock of crap. That water contains a families worth of floating loogys, boogers, ear wax, piss and ass hairs. May as well do the laundry in the toilet with crap as soap. :doh:
"I found this website before I came to Japan and it scared the shit out of me" -Pitah7
Big_Boy
Photoshop Madman
Photoshop Madman

Postby thrice » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:40 am

hrrmm...i use "akuron daily wash" (comes in a pleasant pink bottle) and have had no problems. and my clothes smell nice to boot. it can handle colors and whites and it's super cheap. in fact, now that i look at it closely, it says its a "fine fabric detergent" - perhaps that's what saves my clothese from a nasty fate.
i am not likely to die of bashfulness but neither am i prepared to be crucified to attest the perfection of my art. i dislike to hear of any stray heroics on the prowl for me.
thrice
Clean & Sober
Clean & Sober

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:30 pm

I dunno about Tide, guys. It's not fomulated for Japanese water. :wink:
Smurfette's idea is a start. My dad has this habit of ruining everyone's clothes because he dumps the detergent on the clothes before the washer is full. What about your machine, Mog? Maybe you need to level up and buy something newer or better? Is it one of those jobbies with the crude centrifuge on the side?

-JB

Postby AndreBone » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:36 pm

I'm gonna branch off just a bit here. What's better, liquid detergent or powder? I use liquid. Also, I think the best way to make clothes smell nice is to dry them in a machine using a fabric softner sheet. They smell perty!! :love:
"I am awesom-o 4000"
AndreBone
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Postby ShonaiBen » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:32 pm

We use liquid laundry detergent and have no problems.I also use bleach for my white shirts but the kind for colors,not the real strong stuff.
No problems so far.
ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Postby Ojii » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:31 pm

What's the defination of a wife?

An EXPENSIVE way to get your laundry done for FREE.

:cheers:
Ojii

Postby Willy_in_Japan » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:19 pm

Attack is powerful stuff. You are probably using too much of it. Don't use anywhere near what you would use of traditional North American detergents. I took my Mom some Attack, and she loves it. She uses it to get her whites super bright. I am not sure, but I would guess there is some amount of bleach or something similar in it. So, if you are ruining shirts, I would suggest cutting the amount you use in half.
Willy_in_Japan
Clean & Sober
Clean & Sober

Postby valve-bouncer » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:12 pm

This thread is so fucking Martha Stewart I'm gonna vomit :roll: :puke: :puke: :wink: :D
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby Drac » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:51 pm

Sounds like the laundry's the problem. Might try another place.
The Graveyard pallor was mandatory, and Gothick hair was by definition black... The few who couldn't warp their bodies to fit the subcultural template were best avoided; a short Gothick was trouble, a fat Gothick homocidal.
Drac
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Postby Smurfette » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:07 pm

valve-bouncer wrote:This thread is so fucking Martha Stewart I'm gonna vomit :roll: :puke: :puke: :wink: :D

I was wondering when someone was going to say that!

Willy makes a good point. Don't use as much detergent as you use back home, because the machines here are smaller.
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Return to Japan Topics