Moving by Post

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.

Moderator: Shawn

Moving by Post

Postby LeBlueBoy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:30 pm

A few questions:

I want to have personal items (that I already own, and have owned for some time) shipped to Japan after I move there. How do I declare this, if it's not a gift or merchandise, so I don't have to pay import taxes on clothing and items that I will more than likely either take back, or ship back home once I leave (if I don't eventually discard them). I have jackets and things that seem ridiculous to pack at this point because I won't need them for a few months, and I really have no idea how much stuff I can bring on the plane.

Should I expect every package I get to be inspected before I receive it in the mail? What are some seemingly innocent items that I should not have sent to Japan? [I'm worried about problems with OTC drugs like Primatine Mist--which contains ephedrine, and pseudoepinephrine products like Sudafed and Tylenol Sinus, which I'm going to need for congestion during the humid months. I've heard conflicting stories that the products are outright illegal, or require a prescription in Japan] When I send clothes, it will make the difference between vaccum packing the items (to take up less space) or just leaving them loose if they're going to be opened anyway.
LeBlueBoy
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby valve-bouncer » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:22 pm

Don't worry mate, as long as ain't 3 pounds of herion it's gonna go thru. Just tell whoever is sending it just to list it as "medicine" and she'll be apples.
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: Moving by Post

Postby Smurfette » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:21 am

LeBlueBoy wrote:A few questions:

I want to have personal items (that I already own, and have owned for some time) shipped to Japan after I move there. How do I declare this, if it's not a gift or merchandise, so I don't have to pay import taxes on clothing and items that I will more than likely either take back, or ship back home once I leave (if I don't eventually discard them). I have jackets and things that seem ridiculous to pack at this point because I won't need them for a few months, and I really have no idea how much stuff I can bring on the plane.

List them as used personal goods. When I moved back to the States, I was told to mark everything as "used goods returned."
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby Diogenes_in_Tokyo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:11 pm

VB hit the nail on the head. I've brought in and shipped all sorts of quasi-medicines from the States and had no problems, and I had no problem bringing/shipping that stuff to China as well.

VB's right - as long as it's not pot plants or bricks of heroin you should be OK. FWIW, I wouldn't mark it 'medicine' as that implies commercial/prescription pharmaceuticals as opposed to the OTC stuff you're talking about. Smurfette's right: just say 'personal goods.'
All those people killed in shootings in America?
Oh, shootings, yes. But that doesn't mean Americans are more violent than other people. We're just better shots.
Diogenes_in_Tokyo
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Melodious_Thunk » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:39 pm

Yes, also with "used goods," mark their value for shipping as $1 to avoid paying customs.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Melodious_Thunk

Postby Melodious_Thunk » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:22 pm

I've had a few packages opened over the years.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Melodious_Thunk

Postby LeBlueBoy » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:09 pm

Thanks. My biggest concerns were breathing and getting some clothing over here for the cooler weather.
LeBlueBoy
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby ShonaiBen » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:00 pm

I sent a lot of stuff to Japan from Canada and back again and never had any problems.
I just wrote personal stuff for the description.I think as long as you don't write drugs or medicine you should be ok.
If they make anything better than beer,I don't know what the hell it is....
ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Postby allblacks » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:44 am

Who holds the record for the most moves between ones own country and Japan?

I have moved three times to Japan.

Does the States have sea mail? That is what I would recommend.

AB's
Kamate Kamate...
allblacks
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby Smurfette » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:44 am

By the way, I always took my Sudafed in my luggage. I didn't realize it was illegal at first, and then I figured if they ever found it, I would feign innocence. I don't think they'll lock you up for a pack or two of allergy medication. I was never searched coming from the US, anyway. They're more interested in searching your bags if you're coming from SE Asia.

I second the sea mail option for your winter clothes. If you put extra cold medication in there and tape the box up really good (as you should, to withstand the rigors of sea mail), then the package will not be opened and your medicine will be safe.
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby W.Pep » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:10 pm

Arghhhh!!! Calgary, Calgary, Calgary...... Arghhhhhh!
'I am Joe's Clenching Bowels.'
W.Pep
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Return to Japan Topics