Name change question

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.

Moderator: Shawn

Name change question

Postby thedude » Mon May 31, 2004 11:26 pm

I`ve posted this question on another board but haven`t had much luck.

I`m wondering if anybody has any info or experience on this situation.

I am Australian but with a Japanese father, therefore I have only a Japanese first name and family name. I will soon marry a Japanese national who wants to take my family name.

The problem we have is getting her name written in the kanji of my father, as obviously my name on all my official paperwork is in romaji. We havent submitted the paperwork yet but have visited the town hall and were told that I must have my name written in katakana, which will mean that her name when it is changed will also be written in katakana.

Anybody have any idea of how we can get her name written in kanji, so that future children will be also able to use my family name in kanji?

thanks
thedude

Postby valve-bouncer » Mon May 31, 2004 11:39 pm

Don't quote me mate but as far as I know because you are a foreigner your name has to be rendered in katakana. As far as they are concerned you are foreign, therefore your name is foreign (the fact that it is a Japanese name is beside the point as far as they're concerned) and foreign name must be written in katakana. Beauracracy gone mad, but that's Japan for ya.
valve-bouncer
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby thedude » Mon May 31, 2004 11:49 pm

Thanks for the reply vb, it seems like they just dont want to write it in kanji for her.
However they have said that if I was korean or chinese they would write it in Kanji, however since Im not they won`t do it.

They have said that we can go to the family court after the wedding papers have been issued and that they will change it after its been approved. I just find it hard to believe that there is specific rules on this.
thedude

Postby PHONICS » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:29 am

depends which town hall you go to...

matsudo are very liberal....
Your sign here prease.
PHONICS
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby monkeypants » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:11 pm

I have no idea if this is possible or not but couldn't she legally change her name...to what your family name is now...and then when you marry, keep her unmarried name...the one she had just changed it to? Then, when you have children, her name could be applied as their last name.

Btw, I know almost nothing about Japanese law. :)
monkeypants
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:18 pm

I think VB is correct. Despite you're Japanese heritage, since you are not a Japanese national and cannot register your last name in Japanese. Your wife will have a katakana last name. I suppose this the "privilege" of being Japanese. The ppowers that be work in mysterious ways.

A friend of mine, married to a Japanese gal, had a baby girl and named her Lisa. When it came time to get a passport for her so they could fly back home and meet mom and dad in the USA, he wanted the name spelled with an "L" but the passport office here insisted the name appear as "Risa." I guess the letter "L" does not exist for romanized Japanese names in passports.

-JB
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby allblacks » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:17 am

One thing that I was able to do:

通称名 (Tsuushoumei)--Like Konishiki and the other famous foreigners that use a J. name--you can elect to be known as whatever you like. I went from using my name to using my wife's one. It made things much easier. Going to the bank etc and having some chick stutter over the katakana...no thanks.

Just a thought.

AB's
Kamate Kamate...
allblacks
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby monkeypants » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:01 pm

Oh yes, that reminds me. It is possible for a man to be 'adopted' into a woman's family and take their name. Again, I don't know the law, I've just heard about it happening occasionally in order to pass down the family name in instances where there were no male children.
monkeypants
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Melodious_Thunk » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Konishiki is a Japanese citizen FWIW. (He's not allowed to use his name in kanji, though. He has to use block-capital letters. No, I'm not making that up.) ;)
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Melodious_Thunk

Postby allblacks » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:52 pm

You are right MT. It was a bad example. Still reads more Japanese than Sean Marks (or whatever the guys real name is though)
Kamate Kamate...
allblacks
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Return to Japan Topics