Japanese Movies

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.

Moderator: Shawn

Postby Diogenes_in_Tokyo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:17 pm

Just to everyone who mentioned it:

You were right.

Zatoichi (the Takeshi remake of a 1950s/60s film - I don't know, but they have both here in China) was damn well worth the hour and a half of my life spent watching it. A good samurai flick. Of course, the dancing bit at the end did need to be left on the editing floor.
All those people killed in shootings in America?
Oh, shootings, yes. But that doesn't mean Americans are more violent than other people. We're just better shots.
Diogenes_in_Tokyo
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby MacGyver » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:47 pm

[Tobu yume wo shibaruku minai] I think the English title was "The Plaucity of Flying" or something like that. I enjoyed it when I saw it in 1993. It was pretty quirky and different, so maybe worth seeing just for the quirk value.

Another quirky one was "Doudesukaden" or at least I think that was the English title. I have searched for both the English and Japanese title. I barely remember this movie as I saw it in 1993 so I wouldn't mind a second look. All I remember was this tard kid running up and down pretending to be a tram and tram conductor. There was more to the movie than that but that's all I remember. I think it was set during or just after WWII. The "doudesukaden" was the sound he would make as the tram running up and down the neighbourhood. Anyone got any idea what this one is called?

Also if you are looking for J films to watch, here is a pretty long list with short synopsises. Some are short and sweet, like this one:

"Raffles Hotel"
Actress follows the man she loves to Singapore. Boring.

:rotfl:
"If all Japanese went to NOVA, the English level of the country would rise dramatically." - RevD on the state of English education in Japan.
MacGyver
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby Sam » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:24 am

I once saw part of a movie on t.v. and I'd love to find out the name and see it all.

It takes place in Tokyo shortly after WWII. The American army is still patroling the streets. It's about a young man who is totally bonkers about jazz and thinks of the American black players as gods. He meets a black American G.I. on the run and a strange friendship ensues.
Very bizarre movie. The G.I. only speaks English, but when he speaks, it's actually gibberish. My guess is it was made in the '50's. B&W of course.

Anyone know this film?
Sam
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby monkeypants » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:02 am

Sam wrote:I once saw part of a movie on t.v. and I'd love to find out the name and see it all.

It takes place in Tokyo shortly after WWII. The American army is still patroling the streets. It's about a young man who is totally bonkers about jazz and thinks of the American black players as gods. He meets a black American G.I. on the run and a strange friendship ensues.
Very bizarre movie. The G.I. only speaks English, but when he speaks, it's actually gibberish. My guess is it was made in the '50's. B&W of course.

Anyone know this film?

Could it possibly be Nippon Sengoshi - Madamu onboro no Seikatsu (1970), directed by Shohei Imamura...?
monkeypants
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Previous

Return to Japan Topics