Common Sense

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.

Moderator: Shawn

Postby Smurfette » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:01 pm

Ginzaman wrote:When I went to sign up for internet service, the sales guy had to confer with three other staff to deceide if the internet would be available in English on an English version OS. :shock: :roll:

Isn't it amazing that a country that is so tech-savvy can be, at the same time, so tech-unsavvy?
Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Postby Ginzaman » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:26 pm

Smurfette wrote:
Ginzaman wrote:When I went to sign up for internet service, the sales guy had to confer with three other staff to deceide if the internet would be available in English on an English version OS. :shock: :roll:

Isn't it amazing that a country that is so tech-savvy can be, at the same time, so tech-unsavvy?

Indeed Ms. Smurf. I'm always wondering what happened to the Blade Runner-ish Japan I was expecting.
"Welcome to the NOVA collective."--Ziggy
Ginzaman
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby monkeypants » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:01 pm

Ginzaman wrote:
Smurfette wrote:

Indeed Ms. Smurf. I'm always wondering what happened to the Blade Runner-ish Japan I was expecting.

Only when you get those implants will you be dreaming of those electric sheep. We are still very much Meiji-era here. If you don't believe me, just look at their selection of candy.
monkeypants
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Postby Ginzaman » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:09 pm

monkeypants wrote:
Ginzaman wrote:
Smurfette wrote:

Only when you get those implants will you be dreaming of those electric sheep. We are still very much Meiji-era here. If you don't believe me, just look at their selection of candy.

Interesting point MP. I was wondering the same thing until I read an article in the Japan Times about a month ago that talked about the reason why so much food is not imported into the country. Part of it is cost, but the main reason is that the food board has a HUGE list of preservatives and other ingrediants which are banned here or have not passed the guidelines they have set. So, American junk food is filled with all of the banned stuff that tastes great. My mom recently sent me a box with MICROWAVE POPCORN and Snickers. *Sniff* I do loves me mum. :)
Ginzaman
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby Ozintokyo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:25 pm

I am actually not sorry there isn't all that junk food from the States here - there is enuf shit available as it is.

There are a lot worse things than having to go without all that chemically and calorie laden crap from o/s.
Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
-Jean de La Fontaine
Ozintokyo
Intruder
Intruder

Postby Ginzaman » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:19 pm

Ozintokyo wrote:I am actually not sorry there isn't all that junk food from the States here - there is enuf shit available as it is.

There are a lot worse things than having to go without all that chemically and calorie laden crap from o/s.

Tis' true. But honestly, how can you rent a new DVD from the video store and watch it with NO popcorn? It's just wrong I tells ya! :wink:
Ginzaman
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Previous

Return to Japan Topics