Complaints

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.

Moderator: Shawn

Postby yaffle » Mon May 10, 2004 5:44 pm

I think that this metaphor has been a bit over stretched... :)
yaffle
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Postby MacGyver » Mon May 10, 2004 5:46 pm

No! Keep streching!
"If all Japanese went to NOVA, the English level of the country would rise dramatically." - RevD on the state of English education in Japan.
MacGyver
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Postby allblacks » Mon May 10, 2004 6:03 pm

Speaking of cars...

To get back at my wife, and for my own benefit, I have decided that once we are back in J. I will be buying my dream car: a Nissan Skyline GTR! She hates it, 8 kilometers to the litre and all.

AB's
Kamate Kamate...
allblacks
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby Ozintokyo » Mon May 10, 2004 6:18 pm

allblacks wrote:Speaking of cars...

To get back at my wife, and for my own benefit, I have decided that once we are back in J. I will be buying my dream car: a Nissan Skyline GTR! She hates it, 8 kilometers to the litre and all.

AB's

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.isize.com/carsensor/cgi-bin/CS/CSFBU030.cgi?STID=CS210400&TRCD=TR003A&CAR=NI_35
Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
-Jean de La Fontaine
Ozintokyo
Intruder
Intruder

Postby angryboy » Mon May 10, 2004 10:20 pm

MacGyver wrote:No! Keep streching!

I like leased cars but I tend to drive them a bit hard and get stung for too much excess so buying outright is the cheaper option.On the down side the car is then second hand and the performance deteriorates very quickly.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Postby allblacks » Tue May 11, 2004 5:02 am

Thanks Oz

Call me old fashioned, but I like the 1989-1992 model the best. The one at the top of your link was 4 million yen. That is probably too much revenge!

AB's
Kamate Kamate...
allblacks
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Postby Ozintokyo » Tue May 11, 2004 12:23 pm

The older models are sometimes very nice. I mean sure the newer ones are usually in much better shape, but the older ones often have a great feel about them.

Rentals can really be a lot of fun - you can often push them to their limits, or in some, your limits are reached before theirs are!

Sometimes you'd just love to take them all home, but with regulations and all, sadly I can only keep one. Although, I have heard that some people can get around that by having them parked around in different places. But I think that could start to get very expensive.

:D
Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
-Jean de La Fontaine
Ozintokyo
Intruder
Intruder

Postby MacGyver » Tue May 11, 2004 1:16 pm

Yes, people say the reason why you rent is so you can thrash them hard, that's what they're for. But you would never want to take a rental home, and it would suck if you got deceived into buying one, as they may look very good on the outside, the mileage is a major problem. So much so it would surprise me if it wouldn't be long before hidden problems start to surface.

If you HAVE to buy, and I understand that there are more than one reason that you might want to/be forced into buying, lease the model for a couple of years before you buy. That way you know what you are getting yourself into. Some people do very little research and just go directly to a dealership. They like the look of a certain model and take it for a test drive and buy it. The test drive is far too short to determine if the car is indeed worth the investment, and its not surprising that its not long after you leave the dealership that you start to have problems. No wonder the price of cars drop on average $2,000 the moment you drive out of the dealership.... :wink: :mrgreen:
"If all Japanese went to NOVA, the English level of the country would rise dramatically." - RevD on the state of English education in Japan.
MacGyver
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Previous

Return to Japan Topics